Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kneeling in CMA?

Blog Entries

Kneeling in CMA?

Are there any systems in CMA that does a series of leverage-oriented techniques specifically from a kneeling position, the way some Japanese systems do?

I know there are some squat stance techniques, but it seems like a lot of those are striking techniques?

The kneeling that I've seen are from arts like Combat Shuai Chiao where after you throw, you hold on to an arm, drop a knee down for an arm-bar...but that's more of a follow up.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    Are there any systems in CMA that does a series of leverage-oriented techniques specifically from a kneeling position, the way some Japanese systems do?

I know there are some squat stance techniques, but it seems like a lot of those are striking techniques?

The kneeling that I've seen are from arts like Combat Shuai Chiao where after you throw, you hold on to an arm, drop a knee down for an arm-bar...but that's more of a follow up.

Most of the knee-on-ground positions, at least in my style, are for reaping/hooking the leg for a takedown. The knee down is the end position after the throw.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

CLF has a "kneeling" type of stance, the "" meaning that your knee doesn't actually touch the floor. It's just very close.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Most of the knee-on-ground positions, at least in my style, are for reaping/hooking the leg for a takedown. The knee down is the end position after the throw.
    Right on. I suppose the kneeling thing is purely a cultural thing on Japan's part, and they just incorporated that into their combat arts.

Seems like an effective method to learn some basic leverage oriented techniques for beginners without slamming the s**t out of each other.

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    CLF has a "kneeling" type of stance, the "" meaning that your knee doesn't actually touch the floor. It's just very close.
    Drake - in your line of CLF, do you guys do any type of throwing/takedown techniques from Lok Kwai Ma?

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    omglol
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    omglol
    ????????????????

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

We have no kneeling on the ground positions in any of the material I have learned.

we do have a stance where we are crouching somewhat, but never a knee on the ground.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

kneeling is nothing more than one of the three tiers... prone(ground), kneeling, and standing - best to be proficient in all of them to some degree. concepts to remember... transition from standing to kneeling, kneeling to standing, kneeling to prone(ground), prone to kneeling... then of course there is standing to prone and prone to standing.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    practicing technique in seiza (kneeling position) allows you to develop higher skill and understanding by isolating your technique without compensating with footwork. You can also practice it seated in a chair. I would suggest anyone who practices cum-na/chin-na to do this.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    practicing technique in seiza (kneeling position) allows you to develop higher skill and understanding by isolating your technique without compensating with footwork. You can also practice it seated in a chair. I would suggest anyone who practices cum-na/chin-na to do this.
    karate mixing? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have taken 3 different styles of CMA, 1 southern and 2 northern. I can speak for those and say that no, we did not have any kneeling position techniques.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    karate mixing? lol
    I studied Hakko-Ryu and Hapkido in my younger days, and everything gets absorbed into what I teach now. If there is a good method to get a student from point A to point B, I will use it.A joint is a joint, you can only bend it so many ways. Jiu Jutsu, Cum-Na, etc-it's all the same. The techniques I learned then are exactly the same as the ones my Sifu teaches me now.
    "Tool is Tools."
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I studied Hakko-Ryu and Hapkido in my younger days, and everything gets absorbed into what I teach now. If there is a good method to get a student from point A to point B, I will use it.A joint is a joint, you can only bend it so many ways. Jiu Jutsu, Cum-Na, etc-it's all the same. The techniques I learned then are exactly the same as the ones my Sifu teaches me now.
    "Tool is Tools."

That's cool. I do that as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm telling HW on youuuu!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.