Thread: James Toney to UFC

James Toney to UFC

LAS VEGAS -- Boxer James Toney is taking a crack at mixed martial arts, signing a multifight deal with UFC.

The 41-year-old Toney, a former super middleweight and cruiserweight champion, fought Roy Jones Jr., Evander Holyfield, John Ruiz and Hasim Rahman in a career that spanned more than two decades. But he hasn't had a significant title shot since March 2006, and he also tested positive for steroids twice.

UFC president Dana White believes Toney has the proper attitude to succeed in a crossover to MMA.

Toney, 72-6-3 as a fighter, isn't the first athlete to try the move to mixed martial arts. Herschel Walker won his MMA debut for Strikeforce on Jan. 30, and former boxer Ricardo Mayorga will make his MMA debut May 15 for a small Florida-based promotion.

The UFC hasn't determined the date or opponent for Toney's MMA debut.

"We have been working on stretching, sprawling and movement, all the things he will need to get a handle on," Juanito Ibarra, who is working with Toney, told Sherdog.com on Wednesday. Ibarra is the former trainer of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=4963587
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

James Toney was a boring boxer, and will be a boring MMA fighter. He is a counter puncher, and not much of an offensive boxer. At 41 years old, I really don't see what an over the hill, overly defensive boxer brings to the table. It's a lose lose situation for the UFC. If he sux, anyone with half a brain can tell it's because he's over the hill, and it does nothing to reinforce MMA's eliteness in striking. If he wins, MMA loses a bit of credability.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I thought the same thing. Kimbo will probably be his fight or they will give this guy a can to fight opening and then let kimbo fight him.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I thought the same thing. Kimbo will probably be his fight or they will give this guy a can to fight opening and then let kimbo fight him.
    i thought kimbo was a can

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    never said he wasn't, only that kimbo is a can that has a lot of press attached to him and higher ratings.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    never said he wasn't, only that kimbo is a can that has a lot of press attached to him and higher ratings.
    yep i don't think dana signed him for his talent, just his fan base and this signing is probably for the same reason!

Toney is boring? Nah. Not if you know what you're watching.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    Toney is boring? Nah. Not if you know what you're watching.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    toney is good but his days in top quality boxing are numbered. With his weight gains in moving up from middleweight days- he has some extra tires around his middle.

joy chaudhuri

toney is good but his days in top quality boxing are numbered. With his weight gains in moving up from middleweight days- he has some extra tires around his middle.
    No argument! What's still a thing of beauty though is watching both his timing and his ability to never take a full shot. Everything is a near miss and most of his stuff is "subtle," in the sense that when he's done, he's always in a position to counter.

And by always, of course, I mean, most of the time.

I don't think Toney will do well in MMA. His style is too cute, and there is too much for him to learn in a short period of time. Just a publicity stunt, IMO.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli