Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Special 2010

Shaolin Special 2010

Our next issue, the May June 2010 issue, will be our 11th Shaolin Special. It will include a free DVD insert for subscribers. If you're not subscribed, you have about a two-week window before we start shipping this issue. After that, the only way to get this DVD is to pay $1 extra at select newsstands or get it as a premium in a future MartialArtsMart promotion.

Subscribe now!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Awesome, can't wait.

Im stoked! just finished the last issue.

Subscribe before St. Patrick's Day and get the FREE DVD!

The FREE DVD includes exclusive renditions of tongzigong and taizu changquan as well as exclusive footage of the 6th National wushu gongli dasai (martial arts skills big tournament), held in Zibo city, Shandong, November 1-3, 2009. This is an extreme skills tournament, like our bestselling DVD eXtreme Kungfu Qigong. You must subscribe before St. Patrick's Day (3/17/2010) to qualify for this offer. Subscribe now!

This issue contains articles relevant to the following threads:
    UFC's Dan Hardy - Shaolin Temple trained!
    UNESCO and the politics of culture
    Shaolin Haibao & Shanghai 2010 World Expo
    Shaolin Temple & Buddhism
    Economic State of Shaolin Temple today
    Tai Zu Chang Quan - info?
    My Master Shi Decheng
    The variants and complements of Yi Jin Jing
    There are surely more. That's just off the cuff.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up Dvd and magazine

Thank you Gene, I look forward to it !

the DVD's are always great, It's a nice incentive, the magazine by itself is always very informative and very well done.

My best to You

Ron
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Last Day for our free DVD offer

For those of you who are already subscribed, you're good. The warehouse guys are packing DVDs in your mags now.

For the rest of you, subscribe today!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The warehouse guys are packing DVDs in your mags now.
    *que maniacal laughter of doom*
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The table of contents is now online

This issue is arriving at the newsstands and in subscriber mailboxes right now.

2010 May/June Shaolin Special
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wicked Gene - always look forward to this

I haven't read all the articles yet, but I watched the DVD.
    I guess one shouldn't complain since the DVD was free. But if the DVD wasn't free and the mag was a little extra for it, I would have been disappointed.
    I understand it was probably put together quickly, and the video quality, for the most part was satisfactory considering it may have been compiled from different sources, but the narration and sound quality were the downside of the DVD.

The default volume was too loud and slightly phased. I assume the audio was done straight to computer with a cheap mic and no software compression or gating. The narrator's voice was drab and monotone, not that she needed to be animated like a TV car sales ad, again I understand the DVD was free and was basically money out of the mag's pocket(s), but the narration was like the movie "Pulse" and started making me depressed.

On a plus side. I have never seen any footage from that event before, and some of the quck clips were curious and a couple even impressive, like the older guy and his grip strength with the bricks. Also, the extra video ads for other video and products was pretty good and may entice me to order one or a few of those other videos like the masters exhibition from the Legends of Kung Fu event.

Thanks for your input, brothernumber9

That was a new narrator. We selected her for her fluency in Mandarin and Cantonese. But point taken, our video department does need to improve its sound quality.

The DVD is free for subscribers only (more incentive to subscribe ). It's only available at select newsstands and you'll have to pay an extra dollar for it there.

If you liked the exclusive footage of the 6th National wushu gongli dasai (martial arts skills big tournament), you must check out our bestselling DVD eXtreme Kungfu Qigong. I'm embarrassed to confess that I did the narration on that one and my Mandarin/Cantonese is horrid.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our next issue, the May June 2010 issue, will be our 11th Shaolin Special. It will include a free DVD insert for subscribers. If you're not subscribed, you have about a two-week window before we start shipping this issue. After that, the only way to get this DVD is to pay $1 extra at select newsstands or get it as a premium in a future MartialArtsMart promotion.

Subscribe now!
    What about distributors? None of my magazines came with DVD inserts.

I'm afraid distributors won't be getting them, Shaolin

Sorry about that. We originally conceived of a system where distributors could pay the extra buck if they wanted them, but it got to difficult logistically. If you IM me your address, I'll send you one.

We only make a small batch of these insert DVDs. Mostly, it's a bookstore newsstand promotion as bookstores will increase their allotment if there's a polybagged DVD insert. It's a survival tactic in today's newsstand. You've probably noticed that both Black Belt and Inside Kung-Fu have had to cut back their page count to under 100. It's a struggle for all of us to hold on right now.

This is the third DVD insert we've done. We'll offer some as premiums at Martialartsmart.com later, and some will be posted on our YouTube channel later too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

today

This issue is arriving at the newsstands and in subscriber mailboxes right now.

2010 May/June Shaolin Special
    ummmm... mine came today, better than never I guess...

Nice article on the Taiji in the Taizu... my compliments! I'll study this one before your class! But, I will not be in any photos of mine! pic takers' prerogative I say....
    .... Skip

Yeah where is customer service for subscribers.
    I don't have mine yet, and I need to change my address.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE