Tells a saucy tale, makes a little stir
    Customers appreciate a bon-viveur
    Glad to do a friend a favor
    Doesn't cost me to be nice
    But nothing gets you nothing
    Everything has got a little price!

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Now, that said, I think I should make clear what was todl to me by a very high ranking TCMA, who shall remain nameless :
    That is too bad. He is perpetuating some very bad ideas.

Bad masters say these sorts of things for a number of reasons.

First, money you are spending some place else to train means you are not spending your money on HIS training.

Second, the idea of MASTERY is so ambiguous that is implies that you could be training forever with that teacher, thus providing him with his rice bowl forever.

Third, this prevents the student from ever seeing if what he is learning is any good.

Sanjuro, what do YOU think your "high ranking TMCA" meant or implied by his statement?

Of course, there is the very valid concern against "style collectors". This year being my 7th year living in Asia, I've run into a lot of people who come for full-time training. Most of them just want an interesting international experience, like me, but I've met a few who actually think that 3 months in Japan, 3 months in China, and 3 months in Thailand doing full-time training will qualify them to make their own "mix" and open a school back home.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    That is too bad. He is perpetuating some very bad ideas.

Bad masters say these sorts of things for a number of reasons.

First, money you are spending some place else to train means you are not spending your money on HIS training.

Second, the idea of MASTERY is so ambiguous that is implies that you could be training forever with that teacher, thus providing him with his rice bowl forever.

Third, this prevents the student from ever seeing if what he is learning is any good.

Sanjuro, what do YOU think your "high ranking TMCA" meant or implied by his statement?

Of course, there is the very valid concern against "style collectors". This year being my 7th year living in Asia, I've run into a lot of people who come for full-time training. Most of them just want an interesting international experience, like me, but I've met a few who actually think that 3 months in Japan, 3 months in China, and 3 months in Thailand doing full-time training will qualify them to make their own "mix" and open a school back home.
    Don't you hate it when people just don't read a post...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

My biggest complaint with those who claim one should learn one system fairly well before they learn another one due to the creation of confusion on the part of the student is:

What do you think a person is learning in any one system to begin with?

A bunch of new skills they are unfamiliar with!

Then there is the claim they won't be able to keep the two skill sets separate.

What do gymnasts do? They learn 5 different skill sets at once.

What do dancers do? When they are learning they will take 3-5 or more different types of dance classes. I took Ballet, Jazz and Modern Dance all at once in different classes plus Martial arts classes, and weight training and running and yoga. I would have added Tap on top of that if it had been offered. All of these are different skill sets! I had no trouble what-so-ever keeping these skill sets separate, oh yeah and I also taught myself tumbling at the same time!

What do youngsters do when they decide to play Football during Football season, Basketball during Basketball season, and Baseball during Baseball season? They are learning many different skill sets at once!

What do many musicians do? They learn multiple musical instruments at once!

The implication here is that Martial Artists are the only ones too stupid, uncoordinated and inept to learn multiple skill sets at once, while everyone else, those who weren't sold a load of crap, learn whatever they want, whenever they want!

To me this is just another archaic and foolish mindset that limits fools who cannot think for themselves and perpetuated by teachers who blindly follow what they were told by their teachers without actually questioning the teaching or learning to think for themselves!

If a person thinks they themselves are too stupid to learn multiple skill sets at one time, then it is fine for them to choose one thing at a time to learn, but stop trying to sell such crap to everyone else!!

Addendum: The more skill sets you learn the easier it is to learn further ones!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 03-05-2010 at 03:16 AM.

If one can rise to the demands of a particular system of martial cultivation owning it's movements you can not help but own yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It has been often suggested that one "Master" on system or style before going on to another one.
    I don't doubt that anyone agrees that a solid foundation is needed in one system before one can experiment with others, but Master?
    Well, it can take a LIFETIME to "master" a system.
    Funakoshi, on his death bead, performed an inside block and turned to the people there and said, " I think I finally got this right".

I don't agree that one must "master" anything before they decided to experiment with something else, eight by design or necessity.
    Yes, I do believe that a solid foundation in a system is needed.
    How solid or what is "solid"?
    You can use it in a fight and use it well, not only in class but in full contact sparring VS others of the same system.

But mastery?
    Nope.

Now, that said, I think I should make clear what was todl to me by a very high ranking TCMA, who shall remain nameless :
    Now way you will ever "master" your chosen system until you experience what others have to offer.
    Experience is your finest teacher.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I wish I smoked pot...it would give me a good excuse for that utter lack of parsing skills there.

Sanjuro, I apologize.

Summary of what I meant:
    Teachers expecting students to stay with only them are a$$hats and egoists.
    The idea of mastery is ambiguous and misused by said teachers.

I wish I smoked pot...it would give me a good excuse for that utter lack of parsing skills there.

Sanjuro, I apologize.

Summary of what I meant:
    wait a minute, you don't smoke pot and you messed that up?

I suggest that if you start smoking pot, your attention skills will grow.

Your short term memory will have some hurdles, but long term is all good!

So, you can forget you learned something and yet, still know it later!

mindblowing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    My biggest complaint with those who claim one should learn one system fairly well before they learn another one due to the creation of confusion on the part of the student is:

What do you think a person is learning in any one system to begin with?

A bunch of new skills they are unfamiliar with!

Then there is the claim they won't be able to keep the two skill sets separate.

What do gymnasts do? They learn 5 different skill sets at once.

What do dancers do? When they are learning they will take 3-5 or more different types of dance classes. I took Ballet, Jazz and Modern Dance all at once in different classes plus Martial arts classes, and weight training and running and yoga. I would have added Tap on top of that if it had been offered. All of these are different skill sets! I had no trouble what-so-ever keeping these skill sets separate, oh yeah and I also taught myself tumbling at the same time!

What do youngsters do when they decide to play Football during Football season, Basketball during Basketball season, and Baseball during Baseball season? They are learning many different skill sets at once!

What do many musicians do? They learn multiple musical instruments at once!

The implication here is that Martial Artists are the only ones too stupid, uncoordinated and inept to learn multiple skill sets at once, while everyone else, those who weren't sold a load of crap, learn whatever they want, whenever they want!

To me this is just another archaic and foolish mindset that limits fools who cannot think for themselves and perpetuated by teachers who blindly follow what they were told by their teachers without actually questioning the teaching or learning to think for themselves!

If a person thinks they themselves are too stupid to learn multiple skill sets at one time, then it is fine for them to choose one thing at a time to learn, but stop trying to sell such crap to everyone else!!

Addendum: The more skill sets you learn the easier it is to learn further ones!
    Worth repeating, but didn't wnt to type it all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    wait a minute, you don't smoke pot and you messed that up?

I suggest that if you start smoking pot, your attention skills will grow.

Your short term memory will have some hurdles, but long term is all good!

So, you can forget you learned something and yet, still know it later!

mindblowing.
    Hot, you've convinced me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Yes, indeed.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Crazy talk and common sense !!

Sanjuro, I apologize.

Summary of what I meant:
    LOL, no problem dude, I figured ot was a case of brain ****ing,

Mastery? No...You don't need to attain such a very high level before looking into other arts. Agreed, Paul.

But you had better be very good at using the system in all out sparring before checking out something else...which is something you also said on your first post, Paul. Agreed again.

Nothing worse than a martial arts jack-of-all-trades who's just so-so at everything...and not very good at anything.

Because if you believe in the need for crosstraining (and I do)...then you want to know your first system well enough to know exactly how it can mesh with the second (or third) system you study.

So your overall fight game becomes seamless without having to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    So your overall fight game becomes seamless without having to think about it.
    the simplicity of it all is just mindblowing today.