Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When was the last time you were thrown or threw someone

doesn't matter where

Let me get back to you on this then, KC. I'll surely have more on the Monday after that show. Beware the ides of March.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Last May-ish. Army combatives.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Last May-ish. Army combatives.
    The Combatives guys from Ft Sam were training with us when it happened. I had 3 medics on me seconds. They had me wrapped and iced in about a minute. Army medics are amazing.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    The Combatives guys from Ft Sam were training with us when it happened. I had 3 medics on me seconds. They had me wrapped and iced in about a minute. Army medics are amazing.
    a friend in need is a friend indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Let me get back to you on this then, KC. I'll surely have more on the Monday after that show. Beware the ides of March.
    Okay, but make it good.

Still waiting on Gene's update.

The show is tonight

I won't get to a computer this weekend, so I won't get the chance to post until Monday (The ides of March - don't you know your Shakespeare? )
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Sundays is my throwing and grappling class. Last Sunday was spent on hip, shoulder, half-hip, sweeps, etc. The soreness went away by Wed. (except for my neck-which is still sore)Just in time for my Wed nite Suet Gohk-Grappling and Throwing class in my School- the soreness will be gone in time for Sunday again.
    Oh wait! No Sunday class for me-Bone-setting with Tom Bisio this weekend!
    I get four more days to heal!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Sundays is my throwing and grappling class. Last Sunday was spent on hip, shoulder, half-hip, sweeps, etc. The soreness went away by Wed. (except for my neck-which is still sore)Just in time for my Wed nite Suet Gohk-Grappling and Throwing class in my School- the soreness will be gone in time for Sunday again.
    Oh wait! No Sunday class for me-Bone-setting with Tom Bisio this weekend!
    I get four more days to heal!
    Is Tom your PT kali teacher too?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Is Tom your PT kali teacher too?
    No, but if there were more hours in a day and days in a week, I would train with Tom, especially his Bagua, and Kali.
    Tom is a MAist, has tremendous experience,and has a very pragmatic approach.
    He also breaks things down in layman's terms. He's got a great sense of humor, and makes learning fun. He also has freaky strong hands, so when he works on you, it's amazing-really deep into the tissue.
    I highly reccommend any one into healing, enroll in his Zheng Gu Tui Na classes. They are done in weekend seminars, section by section.
    BTW-he brings alot of Bagua, Hsing-Yi and Noi Gung into his Tui Na classes. Very cool.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    No, but if there were more hours in a day and days in a week, I would train with Tom, especially his Bagua, and Kali.
    Tom is a MAist, has tremendous experience,and has a very pragmatic approach.
    He also breaks things down in layman's terms. He's got a great sense of humor, and makes learning fun. He also has freaky strong hands, so when he works on you, it's amazing-really deep into the tissue.
    I highly reccommend any one into healing, enroll in his Zheng Gu Tui Na classes. They are done in weekend seminars, section by section.
    BTW-he brings alot of Bagua, Hsing-Yi and Noi Gung into his Tui Na classes. Very cool.
    I recall seeing some of his full contact stick fighting clips and I have his book.
    Cool dude by the looks of it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Tuesday. A new guy at the Gracie school did a beautiful clean hip throw on me- I landed with my foot at a bad angle to the mat and jobbed my ankle. I am still on the bench. Hopefully by Monday I will be able to do at least part of a class.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Right before I hurt my Knee on the slopes a few weeks back.

One of my co-workers is taking Judo and was showing me some of his throws on the lawn out back. You should have seen the peoples faces in the Lunchroom (we were right outside the window) LOL!!!.

The ides of March

We only had to do two physical restraints. For those of you who don't know why my karma work has me restraining people, see Shaolin Trips - Episode One: Open Two Doors. Given that these are medical restraints, our psych crew does our best not to harm the patient. That severely limits the kinds of techniques we can use. Pain-inducing qinna, guillotines, etc. are not useful. Our psych crew are all either medics and/or martial artists (mostly my kung fu brothers and sisters). Strictly speaking, these are not "throws". We call them soft takedowns and we never go in one-on-one. We already have enough handicaps as we don't want to hurt them in any way. Note that I cannot disclose all details because of HIPAA regulations.

Patient #1 was a large male we brought in from the 2nd floor. It was a 4-person transport (walk & carry). Patient escalated upon getting into medical. The takedown was clean on to a mat. Once on the ground it became a 6-man restraint (that's a lot, usually it's just 2- or 3-man). He was very strong and had a jacket of this slippery synthetic material, making him very difficult to hold. We all thought we should get similar jackets and they'd never catch us. I started on the arm and strained my neck which has reminded me to start doing neck bridges again. We did two, maybe three rotations. The patient came down and was returned to the crowd safely. I was busy so I didn't see him after but one of my kung fu brothers commented after he saw the patient without the slippery jacket, "homey was yoked." Note that my kung fu bro is a big dude - I'm the only middleweight on the crew, everyone else is heavy, superheavy. Moral of that story: 'roids & acid don't mix.

Patient #2 was a large male who jumped the rail nekkid. Nekkid restraints are always a little trickier because you don't want to grab the wrong purchase nor end up face first in the wrong place. Again, it was a 4-person transport, the takedown was clean (although I was on the legs and had to turn or end up face first in that very wrong place.) That was a 3-man restraint and the patient came down. We found his pants, complete with his cell phone and wallet and got him a taxi home. Moral of that story: always remember where you leave your pants.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips