Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yiquan

He makes some very valid points and states well know facts.
    But, this, if true, worries me:
    he foundational practice of the style is standing and Wang supposedly would have students do standing, in front of him, for 8 hours straight as a "test" of their mastery (this is based on, AFAIK, 3rd hand report, I believe); after standing practice there is some solo movement practice, but much of the style is dedicated to live partner work: close quarter bridging work that looks like a hybrid of push hands and chi sao; then they do a lot of non-contact sparring work as well;
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well bro, at least u r willing to look at things w/out fooling urself - that's more than most are willing to do; "be the change that u want to see", or sumthing like that
    if training kung fu is ur entire life how can u do nothing
    dood
    Last edited by bawang; 03-08-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    He makes some very valid points and states well know facts.
    But, this, if true, worries me:
    well, I heard it from a student of a student of a student, so, you know...

but what specifically worries you about it?

addendum:
    oh - when I say "non-contact", sorry, I meant as in starting without being in contact with each other to start with, like when you train chi sao / trapping, not as in not hitting each other...LOL, that WOULD be a problem!
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 03-08-2010 at 02:22 PM.

well, I heard it from a student of a student of a student, so, you know...

but what specifically worries you about it?

oh - when I say "non-contact", sorry, I meant as in starting without being in contact with each other like when you train chi sao / trapping, not as in not hitting each other...LOL, that WOULD be a problem!
    Someone advocating a more practical approach to MA, advocating fighting and yet, not fighting.

probably just a story

more realistically would be holding a 200 pound barbell in horse stance or a 50 pound stone ball in standing post or tying a giant mill to ur testicles and dragging it
    Last edited by bawang; 03-08-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    probably just a story
    Well, I once stood in a horse stance for a whole freaking hour !
    Why?
    Do some masters daughter and find out for yourself !

Someone advocating a more practical approach to MA, advocating fighting and yet, not fighting.
    wel, the guy wasn't just going to chuk his entire culture out the window; standing practice, IMPE, is about developing increased awareness of your body in space in as non-contextually complex a situation as possible: it's about feeling how your body changes in gravity when you are standing still, in order to have more acute awareness when you start moving; it also helps release excess tension, it teaches you to feel how ground reaction force moves up through your structure to give you that "floating" effect, it teaches you about calming the discursive mind, etc., etc.; it's not a bad thing to do in general, although i agree that the contribution to fighting is incidental as opposed to prerequisite

but again, AFAIK, they also put on the gloves and banged away at each other - I think Ross posted some vids of them training heavy bag, footwork, etc. at one point (although I understand that there are some peeps out there doing yiquan who reverted back to the "I touch you and you go sailing through the air" silliness as well...)

Well, I once stood in a horse stance for a whole freaking hour !
    Why?
    Do some masters daughter and find out for yourself !
    She made you stand in horse for an hour? was that before or after she let you in the Jade Gate?

She made you stand in horse for an hour? was that before or after she let you in the Jade Gate?
    Or during? You da man S_R!

wel, the guy wasn't just going to chuk his entire culture out the window; standing practice, IMPE, is about developing increased awareness of your body in space in as non-contextually complex a situation as possible: it's about feeling how your body changes in gravity when you are standing still, in order to have more acute awareness when you start moving; it also helps release excess tension, it teaches you to feel how ground reaction force moves up through your structure to give you that "floating" effect, it teaches you about calming the discursive mind, etc., etc.; it's not a bad thing to do in general, although i agree that the contribution to fighting is incidental as opposed to prerequisite

but again, AFAIK, they also put on the gloves and banged away at each other - I think Ross posted some vids of them training heavy bag, footwork, etc. at one point (although I understand that there are some peeps out there doing yiquan who reverted back to the "I touch you and you go sailing through the air" silliness as well...)
    Excellent !
    Hey, I do standing qigong too, its good stuff.

Yeah, that Jade gate is what got me in trouble in the first place !!

without having read the wiki article, my understanding is that the whole "idea" behind yiquan was that Wang Xiangzhai was of the opinion that a) practicing forms was an artifact and a waste of time () and b) that because of the emphasis on forms practice as opposed to live drilling, TCMA had lost its capacity for practical application (); and this from a man whose base system was xingyi, mind you, hardly a system known for "flowery" hands!

the foundational practice of the style is standing and Wang supposedly would have students do standing, in front of him, for 8 hours straight as a "test" of their mastery (this is based on, AFAIK, 3rd hand report, I believe); after standing practice there is some solo movement practice, but much of the style is dedicated to live partner work: close quarter bridging work that looks like a hybrid of push hands and chi sao; then they do a lot of non-contact sparring work as well;

in regards to the standing, Wang's purpose for this was to create fluidity in movement; personally, I can attest to how practicing standing worked for me in this regard; whether it makes me a better fighter, I don't know, but qualitatively my taiji movement has continued to be less disjointed over the years; I attribute this to standing because I have experimented by not practicing taiji for periods of time and focusing on standing alone, and then doing taiji and seeing the differences, as well as having it verified by my teacher watching me; just a subjective perspective, of course, I am unable to generalize this phenomenon;

the interesting thing is that when u see yiquan guys fight, it looks more like boxing / kickboxing than it does TCMA "fighting" (whatever that really may be); suggesting that, if Wang was looking for a "natural" stye of fighting, that us silly, external westerners might actually be onto something!

rumor has it that no one cared to fu(k w/Wang, and he supposedly had a running add in a Beijing newspaper inviting all comers, and despite many challengers, was undefeated; of course, I have no proof of this, so it's hard to say for certain;

what a teacher advocating sparring over forms and taking on challengers in actual fights.... never!

the sad was (as you pointed out later) some of his students did revert back to the no touch flying about crap

If he was a forum member, posting that here, someone would insist he had never learned real CMA and didn't understand how "internal" works!

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

If he was a forum member, posting that here, someone would insist he had never learned real CMA and didn't understand how "internal" works!

Excellent !
    Hey, I do standing qigong too, its good stuff.
    [insert standard HW108 comment regarding your lack of authentic TCMA experience here]

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    what a teacher advocating sparring over forms and taking on challengers in actual fights.... never!
    the sad was (as you pointed out later) some of his students did revert back to the no touch flying about crap
    it just goes to show you that even when someone is given a diamond they can still refuse it for cubic zirconium...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

perhaps he already has Dave, perhaps he already has...