Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu, USSD and new gym

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Oh good lord what a load of rubbish.

As the fellow before stated what was the point of the protection? they never had light feeling out sparring ever while i was there.they just told us to spar and that was it. There were no "okay go 60 percent guys" or lets do a "light round"

The notion that they had this special sparring with gloves only to do this pathetic pitter patter training makes your claims even more rediculous.

"you are an idiot"

it is "you're " genius
    Once again , how long were you there??????????????????????If you werent there very long then you couldnt have seen much. Everytime I was there for "Bloody Sunday" or glove sparring ( pre and post pads)all the things you have said they didnt say, they actually did . I will give you the benefit of the doubt though and say that it is possible that things have changed, whatever thats worth

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    yeah.. i never thought you meant denver as being back east
    What did you think I meant then??? I was refering to what I heard about the Kentucky schools and how CSCs used to be the same way, way back when I was training with them in the beginning, as usual you turn it arond to make it sound otherwise....bye

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Once again , how long were you there??????????????????????If you werent there very long then you couldnt have seen much. Everytime I was there for "Bloody Sunday" or glove sparring ( pre and post pads)all the things you have said they didnt say, they actually did . I will give you the benefit of the doubt though and say that it is possible that things have changed, whatever thats worth

i was there for around seven months but im sure seeing the BB spar regulary at the end of their classes as us lower belts were coming in for class days on end meant i saw nothing right?

shucks they must lock the doors and draw the blinds when they do their "too deadly" glove sparring so none of us could have seen it

or perhaps things were always that way

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    What did you think I meant then??? I was refering to what I heard about the Kentucky schools and how CSCs used to be the same way, way back when I was training with them in the beginning, as usual you turn it arond to make it sound otherwise....bye
    no i was just noting the stories are bunch of nonsense

its all based off of heresay that no ones ever saw

i met someone who went to csc in denver to watch a class during the late eighties and they didnt even stay during the whole hour because what they saw was a joke during training

things havent changed

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Goju,

I have seen what the CSC has become just before the time you went there, and yes it is beyond pathetic. This is why many of the serious students who also studied other arts (like myself) ended up leaving the CSC.

It was better at one time, while like I said before there were better more hard core schools and much worse fluff schools, it was truely a decient school at one time. Then they decided that conditioning, sparing and drills should take a back seat to learing the 10,000 secret forms and letting people get their blck belts in under 2 yrs.....and it's been a downward spiral of suckatude ever since.

But if you can believe it, there was actually a time when they would fail people on belt tests , make you actually sweat your ass off and it was common for people to leave after upper belt sparing sessions w/ broken noses and split lips.

Supposedly we get to work for our sashes at White Dragon. We just started there so I suspect that won't happen for awhile.

That's really too bad about CSC. You'd think they'd take a step back and maybe see their errors.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, we tried a total of 5 schools. In retrospect, I have no idea what USSD was doing. It was weak, mild and did not resemble kung fu whatsoever, even though they claimed it was.

Now we have been working our tails off, with conditioning and then slowly learning forms. It's great!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog View Post
    Goju,

I have seen what the CSC has become just before the time you went there, and yes it is beyond pathetic. This is why many of the serious students who also studied other arts (like myself) ended up leaving the CSC.

It was better at one time, while like I said before there were better more hard core schools and much worse fluff schools, it was truely a decient school at one time. Then they decided that conditioning, sparing and drills should take a back seat to learing the 10,000 secret forms and letting people get their blck belts in under 2 yrs.....and it's been a downward spiral of suckatude ever since.

But if you can believe it, there was actually a time when they would fail people on belt tests , make you actually sweat your ass off and it was common for people to leave after upper belt sparing sessions w/ broken noses and split lips.

Quote Originally Posted by the art View Post
    No kidding!!!! But that's what I wanted -- to get back in shape.

I visited another site, I won't mention the name, claimed to teach martial arts and kung fu --- the sihu was ginormous, like she'd been eating wayyy too many cheeseburgers. It's hard for me to train under someone like that.

So yes, thanks for the advice, I'm really happy with this place.
    Glad to hear it.......I always thought they were good schools and a good group of people.

Good Luck with your trainng and finding some shoes.
    I actually used shoes that looked like the Pumas you were looking at and my daughter who took it used cheerleading shoes.

Who knows maybe one of these years I'll go back and start taking classes at the Pai Lum school by my house and we'll be Kung Fu Siblings LOL!!!!!

Supposedly we get to work for our sashes at White Dragon. We just started there so I suspect that won't happen for awhile.

That's really too bad about CSC. You'd think they'd take a step back and maybe see their errors.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, we tried a total of 5 schools. In retrospect, I have no idea what USSD was doing. It was weak, mild and did not resemble kung fu whatsoever, even though they claimed it was.

Now we have been working our tails off, with conditioning and then slowly learning forms. It's great!
    They are really into making you work for everything at Pi Lum......The way it should be.

Did you guys start doing any of the self defense tech yet? I remember when we were doing the defenses for chokes and headlocks after you learned the moves/ positioning they would have your fellow students really attack you (try to take you down with a headlock or really choke you until you tap or escape). their philosophy was they would rather have you really do it and fail than do it half a$$ed and think you were invincible.

They seem to be a very good group of people, helpful, kind.

Glad to hear it.......I always thought they were good schools and a good group of people.
    That'd be awesome!!!!!!!!!

Who knows maybe one of these years I'll go back and start taking classes at the Pai Lum school by my house and we'll be Kung Fu Siblings LOL!!!!!

No hands on self defense yet, although we are learning some techniques and lots of form practice, aside from the conditioning!

They are really into making you work for everything at Pi Lum......The way it should be.

Did you guys start doing any of the self defense tech yet? I remember when we were doing the defenses for chokes and headlocks after you learned the moves/ positioning they would have your fellow students really attack you (try to take you down with a headlock or really choke you until you tap or escape). their philosophy was they would rather have you really do it and fail than do it half a$$ed and think you were invincible.

No hands on self defense yet, although we are learning some techniques and lots of form practice, aside from the conditioning!
    Now that I think about it, when I was there we did basic punches, kicks and stances along w/ conditioning and meditation then a bunch of blocking/ striking drills before we learned the self defense tech and some takedowns. And if I remember you learn the first few short Tiger forms in your first 6 months.

It's a lot of fun......I think you guys will enjoy it.

Yep, short form of the tiger is what we are working on. But at least a good 1/2 hour to 45 min. of conditioning/working out. Tough stuff!! But yes, loads of fun and I feel like I'm getting in shape. I really like the sifu there, Post, and really like the others in the school.

But good news all! We joined White Dragon. And to Snowdog, I now feel the pain!!!! Our first class was on Sat. and that was 1.5 hours.

They charge a reasonable monthly fee, half of what USSD wanted, and if you pay up front they knock off one month -- for a 6 mo. contract. The class was led by a guy who's been doing this since he was a kid. It was orderly, and we learned some basic kung fu animal poses. I really really liked it!!

We are signed up for twice a week with the option of a third time a week.

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice.
    FYI, Becca on this forum goes to Pai Lum in Colorado, also.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    FYI, Becca on this forum goes to Pai Lum in Colorado, also.
    Thanks MasterKiller!!

Wow, not one reply but 20 people looking at it. Must not be in Denver.

On another topic, is USSD some kind of cult or what?
    Yes they are a cult stay away from ussd!