Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu, USSD and new gym

Question Kung Fu, USSD and new gym

Hi all, newbie here.

Just this last Sat. we went to a free intro at USSD. We liked it. We then attended 2 classes and really liked that. We realize it was not kung fu but more Shaolin Kempo? Or a variation? Anyway, we were ready to join but then were hit with the fee -- $300 for the both of us!!!

So that ended that. Also, the club seemed really cool, super nice people and great instructor. But the minute we talked price it seemed the mask came off and the instructor was not so nice. We ended up leaving feeling like we avoided some kind of cult.

What I really liked about this class was that it had a good workout and was fun, so much so that I hardly noticed an hour go by.

We are in Denver. We live in N. Denver but I work downtown and my husband works in central Denver (around Colfax/Colo. Blvd.).

Some questions: Anyone tried Ho's Chinese Martial Arts? Or White Dragon? Anyone know of any other Denver central spots we could try? That won't cost an arm and a leg? Jeez, $300 for 2 is a bit much, no?

Thanks in advance - also tell me if I should be posting elsewhere.

Wow, not one reply but 20 people looking at it. Must not be in Denver.

On another topic, is USSD some kind of cult or what?

Yes you got out of franchised outfit with questionable business practice.

Here's a long thread about them which includes details on various instructors that have be charged with sexual misconducts.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2074

Its a long read.

Oh I am not in Denver, so I can't recomend a school, but I will definitely recommend NOT going with USSD.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

hey thanks for writing! Too bad no references for me, but that's ok.

You know, the class at USSD was super cool, everyone was very welcoming, almost too welcoming. The instructor seemed great, really attentive and held a fun class.

But then once we got to ask about getting our gi's, he dropped all niceness and got pretty rude. First thing he asked before we even started talking was "how are you going to pay?" I said, well, we'd like a price first? Then he asks if we have a budget. As if that's any of his business. Next he throws out $300 for the both of us. When we scoffed he said, oh well, this isn't a gym. He was a royal jerk.

We ended up running out of there, feeling embarrassed and sad because we really liked the group of students.

Now we are stuck finding a new spot.

I think they were teaching a hodge podge of karate/martial arts.

Which is why I'm now looking for kung fu because I think it might fit my bill.

Hi and Welcome,

Looks like you dodged a bullet like xcakid said. USSD = BIGTIME MCDOJO

I have lived in Colorado most of my life so I might be able to help find a decent school.

What are you looking for exactly? Kung Fu only? or just a good School?

As for the two you mentioned.

Never heard anything good or bad about HO's

The White Dragon - I assume you mean the Pai Lum White Dragon schools, run by Sifu Galiano
    I trained at one of these years back and it was a good experiance. They are more traditional in their teaching and really into conditioning so plan to be sore after class.
    Also, I just visted a new location that opened down south where I live and they still seem to be the same traditional school they used to be. I'm not sure if pricing is the same at the school by you, but the instructor down here said he charges $100 mon for the 1st person and then gives a 25% discount to the other.......Hope this helps.

I'm leaving work right now, but will try and think of some other decent schools in your area and give you some more info.

Yeah, I get what you guys mean by McDojo now. There was no way we'd succomb to that kind of monthly payment anyway, ridiculous. When we asked if we could swing $100 per month for the both of us, the instructor said, oh well that's a rec center price. I felt like saying, no idiot, rec center prices are $35 per month and that's for the both of us!!!!!

Anyway, let's move on, shall we?

We are trying Ho's tonight, kung fu. They are in N. Denver, east side. The west side is too far for us to go, so try to think east, or even east around Colo. Blvd. and Colfax. That's a kind of halfway point for me and my husband. Ho's also does tai chi, but I think that might bore me - I like more action.

We are looking for a good workout, we are both overweight. I don't mind sore at all, that's a great thing! You sleep well, mood is better, easier to fight off stress at work. I love the culture involved with the asian arts, so while I want to lose weight and tone up, I'd LOVE to learn a new art.

Yes on the White Dragon. They are on 92nd and Wash. I believe. We'll try them next week. I'm not signing up until I am satisfied that I like the class and the price is normal.

I have no clue really what actual kung fu is, so if it's traditional that's even cooler. That info re: price helps. I don't mind paying, just not paying with my limbs LOL. Meaning $300 is over the top. But $150-ish is good for the two of us.

Denver South is a big maybe for us, but if Ho's or White Dragon up north don't work, we'll keep venturing until we can find a way. Since I'm downtown we have to find a way to meetup and then get to the gym. (We are a one car couple and I use mass transit to commute downtown).

Thanks so much snowdog, I've seen some of your other posts re: USSD and Denver schools. I'm a Denver native.

dont live in denver but i was born there!

if you can find a place that offers month to month thats always a bonus. contracts can give you a discount based on how long u sign for. which is pretty normal biz practice in any biz taht offers those types of set ups.

contract only....can be an iffy situation....esp if its expensive.

as far as style goes....well just find something, anything really, that you are comfortable and excited about.

as you will come to learn, the style is not as much a big deal as to whether or not that school is going to help you advance towards your goals.

i like to look at 'styles' in terms of : stand up and grappling and then a mixture. want to punch and kick and learn some take downs and throws, chinese martial art is a great fix, unless there is cross training there you likely wont see much ground work, which is fine. looking to focus on throws/takedowns and submissions try out some jiujitsu / judo / wrestling etc...

other than that, taste test as many places as you can before you make a call. UNLESS you just feel the right vibe at a place and you want to train there. then jump right in.

the great thing with starting martial arts is finding a fit for yourself, if you are into learning new things and are open minded, you cant really go wrong.

the almighty $$$dolla dolla bill$$$ will be a factor in a lot of schools. but just look around at the local market to see if things are being competative with rates....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Hey Lucas! Yeah, we decided to try around until we find a fit. I don't mind paying, but USSD was NOT competitive at all! I expect to pay higher rates but jeez!!

Let's see, I like the kickboxing classes I used to take at the gym, but those got kind of exhausting, all that nonstop jumping around. What I liked about this last place (USSD) is that he started by a lot of stretching, then drills like pushups, situps, jumping jacks. Then punching/kicking, etc. Working with your partner, then doing punches/blocks in a group.

The hour flew by!!!!!!! But then the price was mentioned and that was a MAJOR buzz kill!!!!!!!!

howdy,

you'll get a similar experience with most all kungfu schools as you did at the USSD place in terms of work out. nice stretching and warmup period, followed by drills, solo and partner, conditioning, likely form work, maybe some discussion regarding application, technique, strategy, etc. and once you get enough practice in some sparring will start to happen.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I'm not even that gung ho on sparring, but the workout is fun and good and I know I'll lose weight this way and become more flexible. Major points there.

So I just talked to White Dragon on 92nd. He says they aren't associated with the Ft. Collins place. They are mainly tai kwan do (sp.?)

How does this compare to the stuff we did at USSD?

It seems like it's a bunch of kicking, which my husband won't be able to do a ton of because of a surgery last year.

tae kwon do is a korean martial art. there are some variations, namely traditional vs olympic style.

TKD emphasises a wide variety of kicks. if kicking is an issue or something you or your husband are not really wanting to focus on i would probably not concern yourself with tae kwon do. kicking of course is not all they do, but it is a large majority of the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    tae kwon do is a korean martial art. there are some variations, namely traditional vs olympic style.

TKD emphasises a wide variety of kicks. if kicking is an issue or something you or your husband are not really wanting to focus on i would probably not concern yourself with tae kwon do. kicking of course is not all they do, but it is a large majority of the material.
    Lucas, thought so. And um, that was not White Dragon I spoke with. It was Champion Tai Kwon Do. Not sure how I messed that up!! But my husband did talk to White Dragon and we are dropping in there this Sat. That one is kung fu. sheesh!

Thanks for that re: tai kwon do. I think we'll stay away from that. Too much kicking for husband. Now posing and squatting and punching --- no biggie!

i was wondering, the white dragon sounded like kungfu...

give it a go, it sounds like fun!

oh and White Dragon, just talked to them just now, is affiliated with the Ft. Collins one. They sound pretty reasonable. Flexible schedule, around $40 per week for a couple and then private (probably extra cost). All kung fu. Hope I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i was wondering, the white dragon sounded like kungfu...

give it a go, it sounds like fun!
    Thanks a lot Lucas, you've been helpful!