Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any of you seen this site?!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nothing new. he's doing applications that anyone with knowledge of basic technique can do(figure out) , simply by taking the moves in the form, and extrapolating on them.
    But..is it Tai-Ch'i?
    Some of the moves, such as single whip are, although somewhat workable, are IMHO, not actually the way it was intended to be applied, as far as my brief experience.. Doing the plam strike with your hook hand simply floating in the air? Why is it a hook hand? Don't you think that maybe..it's...um, hooking something?
    Would you drop BOTH your hands down to block a knee strike at a range that leaves your head open?
    Do you think that any martial art that is "highly evolved" would have such "No-No's" as it's application?
    While I think it's great what he's doing-showing that Tai-Chi is first and foremost a Martial Art, and I have no doubt that he can fight with it, which in itself is impressive, you need to ask yourself a question: Is what he is doing what Tai-Chi was intended for? It seems to go against everything I was taught.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 03-14-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

if u want to see if a tai chi guy is the real deal see his fighting stance. sadly most will use a stance from movies.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-13-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

watch deflect parry and punch-he completely ignores the first part of that technique..deflect. Does anyone else see the "bong-sau?" Or the parry to the blind side, or the chin-na application? or the trapping? or, or...? well? Is he using Tai-Chi principles? Not in my experience, and I have only learned a smatterring of Tai-Chi.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 03-13-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

taijiquan techniques are defensive versions of very common northern longfist moves. lots of aggresive forward attacks are modified to defensive counter atack stepping backwards or to the side, combined with a taoist martial art that had no forms

in northern battle language soft means blocking and evading. its a codeword. tai chi is not literally soft.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-13-2010 at 10:00 PM.

ain't nuthin' soft about gettin hit!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

ah..after watching it again, I had to edit my first post...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

im glad a few ppl are trying to make taijiquan work, but almost nobody teaches basic fighting stance and footwork

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Some of the moves, such as single whip are, although somewhat workable, are IMHO, not actually the way it was intended to be applied, as far as my brief experience.. Doing the plam strike with your hook hand simply floating in the air? Why is it a hook hand? Don't you think that maybe..it's...um, hooking something?
    the "single whip" is pretty straight forward: for example, you redirect a right punch w/the right & roll into a hook, then knife edge strike w/the left; if that strike is blocked by the opponent's left outer arm, you move into "strum lute", which grabs the wrist of the blocking arm, pulls it down and attacks the upturned elbow; there is also a leg hook / attack component; this can then be used to uproot the opponent if he doesn't counter the attack to the elbow, or if he does resolve it, you move into a closer range w/"shoulder stroke" to set up a body throw with "white crane flashes wings"; there are, of course, other variations, but that's one of the more obvious ones;
    what makes it "taiji" is the "ging" behind the movements and that you are working into a standing grappling range with the ultimate goal of dumping the guy; at least that's my perspective
    I actually have a video of me doing this and other movements in a self-defense "demo" which I will upload and post a link to when I have a moment

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

hmmm... do you think that "pay the piper," came from some Tai-Chi guy's broken English? "Pay da Pipa!"
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

hahaha
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.