Thread: Albany, NY Sifus

eyelm Guest

Albany, NY Sifus

I am moving to the Albany, NY area. Any suggestions for people to study 7 Star with?

HuangKaiVun Guest
    The noted sifu Jiang Jianye is the author of a very well known video series. Check any kung fu magazine for his ads - he'll have a full-page spread.

I had the privilege of studying with Jiang for just over a year.

Sifu Jiang learned his Mantis from the #1 Mantis man in China, the guy who played the head monk in Li Lianje's (Jet Li's) "Shaolin Temple" movie.

I had studied 7-Star Mantis (Bung Bo, Spear Hand sets) before, but Jiang's Mantis was totally different. His Mantis is wushu competition mantis: very athletic, very flowery, very deep stances, very acrobatic, very difficult. I trained one lesson in this style, but I gave it up because it was something I knew I could never become proficient in, let alone master.

If you choose to learn his art, buy his video and learn as much as you can BEFORE seeing him. I don't recall him teaching a mantis class, as his style is simply too difficult and extensive for the average day-jobbed American to learn.

Jiang doesn't just teach Mantis. Everything I know about Taiji I learned from him, including Push Hands. I've walked the Bagua circle, done tons of qigong, learned the Sun Taijiquan competition form, worked on a longfist wushu set, and even dabbled with Xingyiquan.

Technically, Jiang is a true master of wushu. He has excellent athletic ability and technique, though he's not a fighter.

Jiang's wife, who is also a videotape author, is also a great wushu artist and instructor.

Both Jiang and his wife are among the nicest and down-to-earth people you'll ever meet. I have a lot of respect and affection for both of them.

I eventually went my own way because their competition-oriented wushu didn't match up with my personal take on kung fu.

Nevertheless, I recommend him 100% to ANYBODY regardless of skill level or background. To train with a true master of wushu is not commonplace even for the most ambitious martial artists. Even if you don't end up staying long, Jiang's teaching will change you drastically.

Jiang's school can be found in the Albany Yellow pages under "Capital District Kung Fu and Tai Chi Association".

Qi Xing Tong Long Guest
    You can check the Rochester area for the Rochester 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu Training Academy, It's a couple of hrs away, but if its 7* you are looking for this is the closes to Albany, as a matter of fact I'll be in the Rochester school during the weekend of May 6-7 teaching a seminar for them. The Sifu there is Brian Bateman he can be reached at 716-663-0445 or email him @
    BD4bateman@aol.com

Peace

------------------
    Ortiz Northern Shaolin Temple 7-Star Praying Mantis Chinese Boxing Academy

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Rochester is a four hour drive from Albany.