Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Baduanjin (8-section brocade)

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    bingo...give the man a cigar
    A cuban cigar for that matter. I would agree about Mr Yang's books but at least is more informative than others.

I would also agree. But they can also be confusing at times.

My version of 8 section brocades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfUXB...feature=relmfu

I figured the order of doing it this way make more sense. If you got your insights, feel free to share as well. I re-arranged it according to the post-heaven bagwa and now it is flowing more in a logical way. After trying to do it the common way, it feels just like a workout. But after my modification, you get a lot of chi-feelings (sensations and stuff) while boiling up sweat quickly. The health benefit tested is more vivid as well. With the version I do, I get more energized and can relieve body pain and aches much faster.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

Ba Duan Jin, learn it at home!

If it come's to dvd stuff ect to learn at home. My mind say very fast. its very difficult or you use it for a small reminder. But then also how many forms are actually the same.
    Its allways some different from teacher to teacher.

But I have the Bundle of Shifu Yan Lei about Qi Qong 8 treasures ba duan jin.

First I had the book, then seen a new dvd and buy this to, just to check how he does it ect.

Wel those 2 things together, book and dvd are really really GREAT.

He explains you in the dvd how to do it, and give some details that are not in the book and vice versa.

I gues its the first BOOK/DVD that I really can say, here you can learn a lot from.

Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming's new book on baduanjin

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's Simple Qigong Exercises for Health autographed by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 01/23/14. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The 8 pieces of brocade that I practice is in 12 parts.

I believe this is in reference to the 12 meridians and the 8 extraordinary meridians as opposed to the sections of exercise.
    It is a daoyin/dhayana/ch'an/zen thing after all and is not martial. Especially telling is the natal fists part which is clearly Taoist influence on Buddhist synthesis of spiritual liberation exercises with martial art as pointed out in Meir Shahars revelatory book on the matter.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hi,

I have a couple comments about Exercise #2 of the Eight Brocades, and my annual defense of Dr. Yang against various comments above. Im David Silver, a student of Dr. Yang since 2000, Qigong Instructor since 2006, and I work at YMAA Publishing.

With Left and Right Bend the Bow, all the variations are valid. The original poetry (attributed to Marshall Yue Fei) used to pass the Ba Duan Jin down for the past 1,000 years is fairly vague and esoteric, and focuses more on the result than the method.

The image of the monk shifting his weight heavily to one side makes sense for an external style like Shaolin kung fu. Usually it is practiced in ma bu with weight in the center, either high or low, depending if you are a kung fu bad ass who has trained for years, or a higher stance for someone just learning and building the strength of their legs. Both are "correct".

As for the arms...You can practice an exercise like #2 as soft-style, or hard-style, depending upon your goals, health, fitness, etc. You often see people practice with the "one finger pointing to heaven". That position creates tension at the wrist, deliberately stagnating Qi in the arms and developing the sinews, strength, etc. That's hard qigong. But, you can also practice it with the "secret sword" hand form, as you see in one pic, and that allows it to be more of a soft qigong practice.

My classes focus on soft qigong, because most people in my community come to class for their health, to relax, to de-stress. In my opinion, people will benefit more with exercise #2 as a soft qigong, because this exercise lends itself perfectly for teaching people how to lead their Qi, even if they don't understand the theory or know anything about the topic. Since the "Yi leads the Qi" and the intention (Yi) of this exercise is to visualize shooting a hawk in the distance, people can develop skill in leading Qi and develop the channels in the arms with the open "secret sword" hand form. Just an observation.

Also on this topic in this thread: Dr. Yang translates the classics for those of us who don't read much Chinese, so that we have access to the origin of the form, rather than only a modern version. But, he also practices Qigong and teaches six days per week, for the past 30 years, and speaks from personal experience, and that of his students. The inference with the above comment is that he merely translates without substance, and which is just wrong.

Related, from above: I read Embryonic Breathing several times, and did not find it confusing and did not see much conflict between the translations. Cross referencing the classics from various types of practitioners was interesting. I agree there was probably too much redundancy, but he wanted to include every available reference to the topic. And, he did include a summary of what he thought is the best way to practice afterward, look again. It was not long ago, like early 90s, when many people in the martial arts community did not believe there was such a practice, and he had to argue the point repeatedly until he was able to gather the recently-released documents proving that Embryonic breathing is a core part of internal training in both Buddhism/Daoism.

In his experience of translating rare documents, they often only discuss one aspect of the practice, and leave the reader still searching for answers. So, every one of his books is designed as a stand alone document, to preserve the info on the topic comprehensively. He is not worried if you have to read the history of qigong twice in two books. He is concerned that someone trying to learn qigong 100 years from now gets the answers from one book.

And, the $: You could read my previous post, or the one from Dr. Yang's son Nicholas, on this forum about this topic, but I'll paraphrase here. Dr. Yang has worked very hard building YMAA since 1982 in his garage to an association of schools around the world. He teaches almost every day of his life, often for 8 - 10 hours. The YMAA Retreat Center project is an intensive training program where select students can train for 5 - 10 years. In the beginning, we announced it to the world and projected it would cost millions of dollars of the course of the 10 years to operate the buildings, feed everyone, insurance, etc. We have received some donations for it, but 80 - 90% of all the expenses for this has come from Dr. Yang's retirement funds. He is not rich or making money from his schools, or from the Retreat Center. He gets paid when he teaches, like anyone else, and makes enough to get by, but you are incorrect in assuming he has a 'money making factory.' It is a labor of love, done to preserve and promote the arts. We hoped to inspire more people to get excited again about traditional-style training, where money is taken OUT of the equation between teacher and student in actuality.

And yes, his forms change. The art is alive. He keeps getting better with practice, like anyone else.

Thanks!

New Journal of the American Geriatrics Society

This article looks interesting but you have to be a member to access it and there's no abstract.

Effect of Health Qigong Baduanjin on Fall Prevention in Individuals with Parkinson's Disease
    Authors
    Chunmei Xiao MEd,
    Yongchang Zhuang MEd,
    Yong Kang MEd
    First published: 14 September 2016Full publication history
    DOI: 10.1111/jgs.14438
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ng Man Tat & the brocade

Celebrity
    Ng Man Tat practices qigong for health

From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo Newsroom
    Heidi Hsia
    17 June 2019

17 Jun – Veteran actor Ng Man Tat recently made a rare appearance at a movie premiere, looking much healthier than he was in previous year.

As reported on Mingpao, the actor, who was all smiles as he spoke to the media about his health situation, revealed that he has been practicing Baduanjin - the most common form of Chinese qigong exercises - to improve his health.

"I have also quit smoking and drinking because of my heart disease and high blood pressure," he added.

Ng also admitted that ever since the previous struggle with heart infection in 2015, he made sure not to push himself too much when it comes to work, choosing easier projects than tough ones.

"It's also hot nowadays, so I am better off just doing commercials. Those are more convenient," he said.

Aside from that, the actor revealed that he will be making a guest appearance on Lee Lik Chi's upcoming period film.

"Since it was a favour asked by a good pal, I would feel bad if I say no," he added.
    THREADS
    Celebrities studying qigong
    Baduanjin (8-section brocade)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Speechify

COMMUNITY//August 11, 2019
    Eight Pieces of Brocade
    A Remarkably Effective New Form of Instruction Made Possible by Cutting Edge Speech Technology
    By Emanate Presence, Healing Advocate

Reflections in the waters below the castle of Lenzen, Germany. The view from where I have practiced Qigong.

Qigong is the increase and improvement of the quantity, quality and flow of Chi energy in the body. Qigong has a history of some 4,000 years in China. About 1,000 years ago, the leader of the entire Chinese army – a general in his thirties – developed the ‘Eight Pieces of Brocade’ as a set of Qigong movements to support his troops in their defense against a Mongolian invasion. He created a sitting set for wounded soldiers who could not stand and a standing set for those who could. ‘Eight Pieces of Brocade’ has had 1,000 years of refinement and is well known in China as an excellent practice for health and well-being.

What I call ‘Brocades’ is a remarkably effective, new form of instruction for learning and practicing Qigong movements in precise detail, made possible by cutting-edge voice synthesis technology. It is based on the video course instruction by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming.

Also known as ‘Brocades Qigong Coach’, my creation is intended to be heard as an audio while following the voice prompts to make the Qigong movements. Hearing voice prompts, without having to watch a person, enables one to feel the Chi energy more deeply. It is helpful to follow precise prompts and not have to count repetitions while moving Chi with the mind and coordinating the body. When practicing in a public area, the prompts can also be very useful as a focal point for maintaining concentration.

‘Brocades’ is not first meant to be viewed as a video, yet for someone new to the practice of Qigong the scrolling text could be useful. Please note that the mis-spellings in the text are deliberate, to achieve the correct pronunciation!

In the latest versions of the Qigong voice prompts, the voice is synthesized by the Speechify app, which has given me the ability to fine-tune the instruction so it flows with the movements of the practitioner. According to the developer, ‘Speechify uses cutting edge Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning to synthesize the highest quality and most natural sounding voices in history.’

After enjoying several teachers and forms of Qigong, I most resonate with Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming (YMAA). His app on ‘Eight Pieces of Brocade’ is recommended for foundational understanding before using my practice aid.

‘Deep Breathing Reflections’ is an adjunct to the Brocades movements. It is introduced at the beginning of ‘Brocades’ to move the mind to the present moment, and at the end to finish with deep breathing.

Brocades 002 (video below) is spoken in a male voice, and Brocades 001 (at the Whole Human site) is in a female voice. Both are available as downloadable files, unconditionally free, so they can be played with any mp3 player.

Perhaps because I am the creator, I love following the prompts. It feels so vital and alive, and I can focus on that feeling rather than watching what a person is doing. Test it out and let me know how it feels to you, please.

Any comments and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

https://content.thriveglobal.com/wp-...-002_V-4.0.mp4

Originally published on the Whole Human site.

https://www.wholehuman.emanatepresence.com/

— Published on August 11, 2019
    Like being taught by Stephen Hawking...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Qigong today should be a refuge from screens, phones, tablets, technology, AI, robotics and all that. Devices off.

California Seminars

Shaolin 8 Section Brocade
    September 27
    Shaolin Da Luohan & Mantis
    September 28
    USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy
    1161 Redmond Ave, San Jose CA
    Contact www.ShaolinKungFuZen.com, usaskz@gmail.com, 408-806-0155

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This Friday & Saturday

Shaolin 8 Section Brocade FRIDAY September 27
    Shaolin Da Luohan & Mantis SATURDAY September 28
    USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy
    1161 Redmond Ave, San Jose CA
    www.ShaolinKungFuZen.com, usaskz@gmail.com, 408-806-0155

Man, I'm so out of shape. Doubt that'll change much in the next couple of days.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yesterday

I brought my master Shi Decheng to the office for an interview, a shoot and lunch. Gigi wanted to treat him to a meal as well as the TC Media staff and my shidi Jeff Hung. It was a great interview focused on Baduanjin which I plan to publish in our next issue - our Spring 2020 (our Winter 2020 is already full). Stay tuned.

Hope to see some of you tonight and tomorrow for my master's seminars in San Jose.

THREADS
    Shi Decheng
    Baduanjin
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips