Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Baduanjin (8-section brocade)

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    It's in both in many versions.
    yes, this is my understanding of it - just since we don't do a buduanjin per se, for us it is exclusively yijinjing (as apparently for others her it is the inverse); ultimately, doesn't really matter, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I call it squatting in preparation for taking a dump......but that's just me!
    STOP GIVING AWAY SECRETS!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    STOP GIVING AWAY SECRETS!!!!!!!!!
    Are you following me?????

I AM SUPPOSED TO BE FOLLOWING YOU!!!!!

Traditional Baduanjin and Yijinjing have different postures as showed in the attached diagram. Modern practitioners tend to mix them up, not knowing their origin and history.

i think both of them has similar posture but different in internal training..

Actually it is the opposite for me - they have similar internal training with different external postures.

extrajoseph
    Actually it is the opposite for me - they have similar internal training with different external postures

charlyws

This is very fascinating guys

It shows me that even the second posture of Baduanjin can have such an outcome, lucky i didnt ask about all 8.

I skipped the warrior stance and do atleast a good mabu with a good balance, and two sword fingers.

The only thing i have seen about Ji Jin Jing is Shi De Jian doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    It's in both in many versions.
    This is interesting and it reveals something about the postures overall I think.

Could it be that there is an older arrangement that is lost? Or a greater arrangement that is unknown?

In yi jin jing, we do pull the celestial bow (or whatever you want to call that posture ) but not in bad duan jin.

I personally find that many sil lum qigong in particular are uncannily similar in execution and in benefit.

interesting.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Baduanjin was first recorded in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127), even the famous scholar Zhuxi (1130-1200) wrote about it in one of his writings, whereas Yijinjing as we know them today, was first illustrated in Qing Dynasty about 1820, although it claimed to have an origin with Damo, so there are almost 700 years of difference in time, if one is to be similar to another, then we would know who does the copying.

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/八段锦
    http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/易筋經

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    extrajoseph
    Actually it is the opposite for me - they have similar internal training with different external postures

charlyws

This is very fascinating guys

It shows me that even the second posture of Baduanjin can have such an outcome, lucky i didnt ask about all 8.

I skipped the warrior stance and do atleast a good mabu with a good balance, and two sword fingers.

The only thing i have seen about Ji Jin Jing is Shi De Jian doing it.

yup, many opinions on it eugene. for me (maybe it could be wrong), Yi jin Jing is develop some tendon changing but not to train inner power. and Baduanjin is to develop inner power which more like wushu qigong.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    Baduanjin was first recorded in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127), even the famous scholar Zhuxi (1130-1200) wrote about it in one of his writings, whereas Yijinjing as we know them today, was first illustrated in Qing Dynasty about 1820, although it claimed to have an origin with Damo, so there are almost 700 years of difference in time, if one is to be similar to another, then we would know who does the copying.

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/八段锦
    http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/易筋經
    history and the historical record of these things is shaky even at the best of times.
    When we are talking about english translations, even more so.

It would be really nice to see something definitive come from archaeological and anthropological scientific study and fact finding instead of relying on the oral traditions of martial artists which have a tendency to turn out wrong, or contrary to the ideas of another.

this is one of the major problems with tcma in general is the uncertainty regarding these things and the lack of questioning by the students and practitioners about what these exercises do.

everyone does them differently, with different intention, different energy and different applications of forces within the exercises.

even the empty shapes cannot be ascertained to be this or that, but rather it is the way to simply learn them and do them.

So for me, it's like an x file, except I don't want to "believe" I want to "know".
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    history and the historical record of these things is
    So for me, it's like an x file, except I don't want to "believe" I want to "know".
    If you want to know, then train in both of them and over time your body will give you the answer, remember: things tended to go from the more simple to the more complex, the more natural to the more artificial, over time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    I personally find that many sil lum qigong in particular are uncannily similar in execution and in benefit.
    One good example is the Choy Lee Fut Luohan 18 Hands Qigong, which has its origin in the Five Animals Frolic and the Yijinjing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUnTF...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by charlyws View Post
    yup, many opinions on it eugene. for me (maybe it could be wrong), Yi jin Jing is develop some tendon changing but not to train inner power. and Baduanjin is to develop inner power which more like wushu qigong.
    It is difficult to develop tendon changing without also to train inner power because the extension is done from the inside and not from being pulled from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    It is difficult to develop tendon changing without also to train inner power because the extension is done from the inside and not from being pulled from the outside.
    the inner power in here is like more that Qi. because based from what i know baduanjin is to develop qigong (wushu qigong).

although yi jin jing can develop inner power too, but the detail is different.

How different, may I ask?

About the power itself.

Yi Jin JIng power is look like external power who used a lot of tendon not mass muscle. so when the impact hits body it will be gone through the inside muscle.

And Baduanjin is from wushu qigong. if it hit somebody(without intention where the power must be), it will be directed to the heart. When baduanjin is hit someone, it less more effort compare to the yi jinjing.

but i heard that some style like shaolin have both of them.

actually i'm not yi jin jing practioners. and still very newbie for baduanjin and i couldnt describe the detail very well. based what i know is because i already feel the impact from both of them.

maybe i will looked up for the detail from them
    Last edited by charlyws; 04-08-2010 at 09:41 AM.