Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Baduanjin (8-section brocade)

Yeah, maybe you should.

1, one must watched out for what one is doing. the best is get an authentic sifu otherwise it might not be benefit or even damaging.

2, These two set of training are different.

for example
    Internally based on Qi management. The Yijinjing starts the training with lung Medirian. While the Baduanjin starts by working with the tripple heat.

3, due to the above; knowing the exact medirians and working sequence is a must to get the greatest benifit while train in the particular set, thus one needs someone who really have experience and attainment to guide one. It is certainly is not just a posture.

Dont believe me, try the following experimens.

using the second posture of the Baduanjin,
    1, try it with seperate your two fingers when you did the sword fingers and see how the pull feel different.

2 erect the thump of the sword finger side and see how it influence the weight of the arm and breathing.

both of the above are small differences in physical which will cause big diferrences in physical and result of the training. This is because they activate different medirians.

NOTE:
    I purposely place the above to variation to let you feel the difference and how is different medirians activated.

Do not train it this way. I intend to lead you to know there are lots of stuffs in it but dont want to screw you on your practice. knowing something like that is just a begining. In the old time, one will be guide by the sifu to feel all these feeling to align one's training so that one knows the proper handling.

Get a sifu of Baduanjin to coach you so you are beneit. dont play smart.

4, as for the stance, that also is an issue. depend on what one's intention. So, different in external shape, internal medirians, and the sequence of them make a different in long term training. Not to mention the handling, such as soft, how soft....etc.

These stuffs exist and only those who really knows know it. otherwise, practicing it will give only some exercise benefit but cant go deep into the Qi and internal organs.

Do not mix and match as you like it or applied force or have tensing feeling or stop breathing....etc. That cause problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    extrajoseph
    Actually it is the opposite for me - they have similar internal training with different external postures

charlyws
    i think both of them has similar posture but different in internal training..

This is very fascinating guys

It shows me that even the second posture of Baduanjin can have such an outcome, lucky i didnt ask about all 8.

I skipped the warrior stance and do atleast a good mabu with a good balance, and two sword fingers.

The only thing i have seen about Ji Jin Jing is Shi De Jian doing it.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-09-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Chinese PE department version
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI1Nzk1MzI4.html
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-09-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Thx Hendrik for that big reply,

Mostly i search and practice for what is most correct and best for the body.
    It is even a harder seach with so many opposite meanings and toughts but its also funny as I experienced today again.
    almost a war during tai chi today about 2 females arguing about a bag on a cycle, one wants it to be like that, and the other like hers.
    Then they were on about the back leg in a mabu stance , for one the leg must be stretched and for the other bend, then one says who is more male like, that Tai Chi is for selfdefense, and the other more feminen thats Tai Chi is for health purpose only. Its quit confusing. And the strong female does tai chi as like she fights and stamps the rocks out the street, and the feminen female dances like a feather so light during the Tai Chi sets.

Thats is from both also inspirational, and both look real nice in the flow.

It seems that there in some ways there 1000 ways of 1 way.

I have spoken today with a women that came to watch our group, she gives baduanjin. I spoke with her about the second stance , and she does it also way different again, but am meet her pritty soon A nice coincidence

btw ...
    Could it be that ones personality in the end shines thru Baduanjin, Shaolin or Tai Chi, and because of this that a teacher teaches 100 studens the same set, and it will have 100 different ways because of 100 different indivuduals ?

I didnt have time yet to watch the video btw

Peace

If one practice Baduanjin, then doing the first post one must be able to balance the tripple heat/Triple Burners. The shape, the stance, the breathing, the intention.... needs to contribute to attaining balance the tripple heat. That is the purpose of training. and expectation needed to be attain.

Get a real sifu who knows, Qigong is not some philosophy or logical theories that one can learn from thinking or reading. There are too many details which is impossible to know without a coach.
    videos, talk, discussion.... means nothing to the subject without knowing the purpose and attainment of the expectation.

Keep it simple, and focus on the purpose and expectation.

IE: this is the purpose, this is the process of doing it. this is what one will experience if the practice is proper, and this is the attainment of the expectation. and focus on nothing else.

For the second posture.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI1Nzk1MzI4.html

19.24/59.44 shows you what is correct body instruction clearly. EI the thump...ect
    it also shows what is the medirians involve and thus the stance which is proper to support this practice.

to have a beneficial training of the second posture , these must be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Thx Hendrik for that big reply,

Mostly i search and practice for what is most correct and best for the body.
    It is even a harder seach with so many opposite meanings and toughts but its also funny as I experienced today again.
    almost a war during tai chi today a......

Peace
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-10-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    If you want to know, then train in both of them and over time your body will give you the answer, remember: things tended to go from the more simple to the more complex, the more natural to the more artificial, over time.

One good example is the Choy Lee Fut Luohan 18 Hands Qigong, which has its origin in the Five Animals Frolic and the Yijinjing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUnTF...eature=related
    I do train in both of them and have done so for some 16 years or so now. I also train Sil Lum Nei Gong and various other qigong which are separate and apart from structered "sets" of gongs such as yi jin jing or ba daun jin are.

I can say this, one school does not prcatice the same as the next.

essence may remain, but all structure is different from school to school.

Your chi kung is like "x's" chi kung because ultimately both or your works have come from the same source. My gongs look like my other brothers gongs and like some other unrelated peoples, but not exactly the same.

there are differences and subtle nuances that change from school to school, teacher to teacher and all the various levels of understanding.

if there is any water that is not clear in the ocean of shaolin kungfu, it is the chi kungs.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I can say this, one school does not prcatice the same as the next.
    this is about the only constant; some of the qiogng I do looks very much like many other approaches; and then there are some where I have never seen anything else even remotely similar;

Yes, there are many different expressions (structures) of the same essence, whether baduanjin or yijinjing, shaolin or wudang, after all we have the same body structures and the same universal laws. You say it is different but I say it is the same and we are both right.

baduanjin

Any good source both written and video someone can recommend? Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mig

there are many styles and forms of baduanjin out there. do you study a specific style?

here is the poem to the style we practice

8 Brocades

1. Reach For Heaven- To adjust the triple points

2. Shoot The Birds- To adjust the arms and shoulders

3. Touch Heaven and Earth- To adjust stomach and spleen

4. Look at the Heels- To heal the internal injury

5. Shake Head and Tail- To get rid of heart fire

6. Touch Toes- To strengthen kidneys and waist

7. Anger the Eyes and Punch- To increase power

8. Lift the Heels- To prevent all disease

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    there are many styles and forms of baduanjin out there. do you study a specific style?
    No particular style, just need references and a goo manual. They all coincide n just a book n dvd from mainland n additional readings from the web. Any references will be much appreciated thax

Im not a huge fan, but Dr Yang Jwing Ming likes to translate manuals, he has some books and DVDs on Baduanjin you can buy. you can also find free videos on youtube. I havent found any exactly like the way I do it, but the poem above gives you the essence of the movements. you can find Dr Yang's stuff at www.ymaa.com

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    Im not a huge fan, but Dr Yang Jwing Ming likes to translate manuals,
    bingo...give the man a cigar

Have you ever read his book Embryonic Breathing? That was the most confusing useless book I ever read. He translates every text that contradicts each other and groups them together, then the explanation on how to do it he gives is not the quickest, or best way to do it. As far as I know it may even be wrong. Then I hear from one of his students, that is part of thier core training. I have to give the man respect for his little money factory he built, but I dont think he has is the most influential man for Martial Arts like he was awarded. He holds back secrets, and he changed his forms. Still, I cant talk down on his skill because I never met him and his fajing looks impressive on video. But I can comment on his books as I have read them.