Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Baduanjin (8-section brocade)

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    yet another version.

some elements same as what ive learned in two variations of that qigong.
    David beat me to it. We also do an 8 brocade set. Fundamentaly the same with a few variations of stance.

I have a very old video from our family and yes you guessed it! its different, I will someday get around to figure out how to post it from VHS
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

It is also very similar to the one I know. I actually like the differences in this one, I may play with it next time I do the set.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Soft Ba duan Jin

Seems this is the soft health version and not the martial version, it's ok, but not the way I practice.
    Kune Belay Sau

I have never heard of a "Martial" version of this set. Aren't they all soft?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Smile Martial Version of BDJ

Here's an article of Praying Mantis' version of Ba Duan Jin from my site:

Tanglang Ba Duan Jin Shen Fa

It's "martial" in nature and it has element of Mantis moves as well.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home
    Seems this is the soft health version and not the martial version, it's ok, but not the way I practice.
    I understand what you're getting at. This version seems to be easier. Less moves and less horse.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    I have a very old video from our family and yes you guessed it! its different, I will someday get around to figure out how to post it from VHS
    Get Dr. Divx then hook up your vcr to your computer. Its prettey easy. Or if you would like send me a copy and I'll do it for you. I can do it in about an hour.

first off, OMG SPJ where did you find that vid? that has to be the most graceful and flexible man I have ever seen perfroming snake creeps down. wow spectacular!

Scott, I have many videos of my shifu over the years and would love to show them to the world so i will look into this dr divix, can this be purchased at say computer city? does it do DVD as well? thanks, I'm older and not very computer savvy to say the least, thanks for the help
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Martial

The version I practice has both Yang and yin elements, the first half of ba duan jin has a lot of elements that train the tendons, and ribs (yang) and is similiar to yit gun ging, the second half is more yin by nature.

The first half has a lot of horse work and is hard work ...the whole set done correctly with all the 8 breathing patterns takes about 45mins.

I was taught the same set with a health focus, and it is much easier by far, more yin all the way through and focuses on nurturing the chi and breath.

Later this year I will be releasing an instructional dvd on Ba Duan Jin for martial arts
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    Scott, I have many videos of my shifu over the years and would love to show them to the world so i will look into this dr divix, can this be purchased at say computer city? does it do DVD as well? thanks, I'm older and not very computer savvy to say the least, thanks for the help
    Hi EarthDragon,

You can get Dr. Divx 2 here:

http://community.divx.com/labs/viewE...hp?id=27&cid=2

It is freeware I believe. I use the older version I paid for.

There is a bit of a learning curve and you will need to purchase some cables to connect your vcr to your computer. I have done about 6 vcr tapes and the quality is pretty good. It might just be easier for you to have someone do it for you. If you can get good copies of your tapes send them to me one at a time and I could do it for you. It is up to you. Once you know how to use Dr. Divx though it is pretty easy. For example I had trouble getting the sound to record so I had to run the the vcr stereo sound into a plug and then plug it into my computer sound cards mike jack to get the sound to record, but if you have time and patience you can figure it out. It is worth the effort in my opinion.

You cannot burn to DvD with it if that is what you mean. If you mean convert from DvD to another format then try:

DVD Ripper Platimum:

http://www.xilisoft.com/dvd-ripper-platinum.html

the first ba duan jin i learned had no ma bu. the shaolin one i learned later had lots of horses and shared ideas with the first such as heel drops, sealing, gathering, collecting and sinking, focus on hands and dantien, opening the guas and so on.

that second set is reminiscent of zhao bao taichi leg work. the deep tendon stretching is similar to a side to side exercise I've seen in shuai chiao. Not really snake creeps down per se though ED. Some same benefits to it though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

thanks scott, i think i will have my student look into this as he is a college student with al the gadgets, hell I am still using a sony walkman, cant figure out the I pod yet LOL but thank you for the help.

David excuse my ignorance i have never seen such an excersize for shuai chiao, and it looked like a tachi stretching one to me, but indeed sparked my interest. i watched it twice as i was amazed at how gracful he was and how flexible, there are times when he isnt even touching or resting on the ground. amazing
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

may be there is some kind of supporting prop behind his lower back?