Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Baduanjin (8-section brocade)

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    may be there is some kind of supporting prop behind his lower back?

lol, nope, just lots of hard work and focused effort.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

that was a good lesson on combining intention with the motion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Eight Section Brocade

Anyone practice regularly? and have you seen any benifits? I'm debating focusing less on my 24 form (I've been doing it twice a day for 9 years) and more on Eight Section Brocade. Any thoughts.

I practice both the Eight Section Brocade and the Yang Short Form daily. However, I practice the Eight Section Brocade only once while I go over the form at least three times.

Have I seen any benefis? Honestly, I'm not really sure but I'm told that it builds up "protective chi" so why not practice it?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dharmastudent View Post
    I practice both the Eight Section Brocade and the Yang Short Form daily. However, I practice the Eight Section Brocade only once while I go over the form at least three times.

Have I seen any benefis? Honestly, I'm not really sure but I'm told that it builds up "protective chi" so why not practice it?
    I love my Tai Chi and will always practice it. But with everthing else in my schedule "Church, family, fitness and work) I have to spend my time wisely. I have no doubt my 24 form helps me but in order for me to begin more practice of something else like "Eight Section Brocade" It will have to be a sure bet like the 24form is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    I love my Tai Chi and will always practice it. But with everthing else in my schedule "Church, family, fitness and work) I have to spend my time wisely. I have no doubt my 24 form helps me but in order for me to begin more practice of something else like "Eight Section Brocade" It will have to be a sure bet like the 24form is for me.
    It is a sure bet. Initially the only benefits from doing Ba Duan Jin (Pa Tuan Chin) will be how alert and 'alive' it makes you feel, but there are more benefits later on. Also it only takes a short time to do it, so it will not be a much of a burden to add it to your daily schedule. I usually do it once in the morning on the back porch before I leave for work. If you have five minutes (10 minutes, tops) you can handle it.

people practice 8 brocade for health since Song dynasty.

Shaolin monks also practice the set.

if you are in a hurry, then just pick one.

repeat 8 times and do it slowly and remember to inhale and exhale evenly.

I like the one that you open your arms on top of your head, --

It is to help to regulate the 3 burners or Li San Jiao.

I practice a mixed type.

I pick one set and just do that set for a month or so.

If you do the 8 postures x 8 times, it will take up a lot of time.

--

Any video clip of this and what about the "eight immortals" ?

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    people practice 8 brocade for health since Song dynasty.

Shaolin monks also practice the set.
    Like SPJ said, the eight pieces of brocade is probably the most popular chi kung set out there. There are many variants of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    if you are in a hurry, then just pick one.

repeat 8 times and do it slowly and remember to inhale and exhale evenly.

I like the one that you open your arms on top of your head, --

It is to help to regulate the 3 burners or Li San Jiao.

I practice a mixed type.

I pick one set and just do that set for a month or so.

If you do the 8 postures x 8 times, it will take up a lot of time.

--
    SPJ, those are interesting ideas. I usually do each piece 3 times, but your advice to just pick one if you're in a hurry is a good idea...some chi kung is better than none. It would also allow you to focus on one move for a while. Cool idea.

Baduanjin (8-section brocade)

In the Qi Gong form, BaDuanJin, there is a posture, the second one :
    left-right drawing bow as if shooting golden eagle ( I guess one has to shoot it from the sky, and aim high ?? )

Is see this alot performed in the high mabu stance, and the low warrior stance like Shi De Yang does it,
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KSyLpRohSC...oyoulagong.jpg
    http://healthqigongusa.org/images/BaDuanJin00.jpg ( The Stance I see alot also from Baduanjin performences )

The effect is : This exercise spreads the shoulders and expands the chest. The warrior-like posture gives vent to emotions in the heart. It sorts out qi in the liver and removes chest pain, side pain, and aches in the shoulder blades and across the upper back. ( from ShaolinChanCity )

I am wondering if one does this in a mabu, will it have the same effect ?

I dont know how pricise such ecersices much be ?

Someone have an idea

Greetings
    Last edited by Eugene; 03-13-2010 at 11:35 AM.

this is how my teacher does it:

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    The effect is : This exercise spreads the shoulders and expands the chest. The warrior-like posture gives vent to emotions in the heart. It sorts out qi in the liver and removes chest pain, side pain, and aches in the shoulder blades and across the upper back.
    iron ball juggling in a deep horse stance amplifies this effect... then again it amplifies most anything in the martial arts.

The mabu can be high or low but the body needs to be rooted with a yin yang difference (the side pulling the bow open has more weight than the other) and follow the gravitational force and not to strain your knees by pushing it too far forward or to one side, plus the qi must to sink to the lower dantain.

Look at all the pictures and see who is the most comfortable and stable and can stay in the posture the longest (zhanzhuang) and that would be the best way of doing it.

Eugene,
    There are so many differences among the various qigong exercises....it can get confusing. So, I recommend looking at the similarities between them...that is where you'll find the most important points to remember.

This move is found in many different traditions in China, and even in tantric traditions in India and Tibet. The stance can be high or low and you'll still receive the benefit. The most important thing in qigong is that whatever movement you make, you do so deliberately and with awareness.