Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Baduanjin (8-section brocade)

@extrajoseph,

looking it like that, to see who can hold the position the longers is a good way to see it yah, tx

@taai gihk yahn,

The picture of your master is pritty cool, it shows power and piece at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    @taai gihk yahn,

The picture of your master is pritty cool, it shows power and piece at the same time
    I was thinking more in terms of stability and peace i.e. harmony/balance!

Making it easier for comparison by putting the four pictures altogether, look for the similarities and differences, copy by standing in front of a mirror with the pictures and try out each posture yourself for 5 - 10 minute without moving and see how it feels, use stability, being natural and comfortable (ziran) as your guide, having pain in the joints (not tightness) means you are doing something wrong, if your eyes cannot tell the difference then use your body awareness and time as your helper, that is the best and safest way to correct one's posture for self learning at home. May the (gravitational) Force be with you!
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 03-15-2010 at 06:12 AM.

Age and fitness would determine the degree of mabu. For yangsheng vitalization, medium stance would be sufficent as opposed to the "extreme" mabu of shaolin traditions. I have seen some systems of baduanjin stay in mabu when stretching both left and right as opposed to, when pulling left/right, rise up slightly then go down to pull to the opposite side!

I should mention that, when we do this posture, there is a first the component of equal weightedness (which you see in the picture I posted), and then there is a component that has the asymmetrical weight bearing, where you shift away from the "arrow" side and raise the line of the straightened arm up to a diagonal (like the picture of the monk posted earlier); then there is a transitional movement of the arms for changing sides (which is hard to describe); so the first part is like the "draw", the second part is like the "aim" and the third is like the "release" of the string and taking the next arrow from the quiver and setting it on the string

this movement is basically a lung / large intestine meridian /sinew "stretch"

u can also do it in a hi, mid or lo stance (or alternate, starting hi, getting lower on successive reps);

interesting that of all the examples, ours is the only one where the thumbs and 3rd - 5th fingers are in contact w/each other - I'd be curious if anyone would experiment with both ways of doing it and see if they felt a difference (or not);
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 03-15-2010 at 07:37 AM.

I tried what you have suggested and felt after a few minutes which one not to do because there is a huge difference, in one my qi is completely blocked, now I have a better understanding of what "one finger pointing to heaven" means. Thanks for the experiment.

I am also going to try to copy the 4 pics out today, and see where it will take me,
    Last edited by Eugene; 03-15-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    I tried what you have suggested and felt after a few minutes which one not to do because there is a huge difference, in one my qi is completely blocked, now I have a better understanding of what "one finger pointing to heaven" means. Thanks for the experiment.
    so which one did you feel the "qi" to be "blocked", and at what point?

Why don't you try it yourself? You suggested the experiment in the first place.

Just push your arms out in opposing sides, pull the fingers back, hold one without the fingers touching each other in "one finger pointing to heaven" configuration and the other with the 3rd - 5th fingers touching each other as you mentioned and see what happens.

Soon (no more than a couple of minutes for me) you will know in which one the qi is blocked and feel weaker and less powerful. You can also breath out and try to send the qi outward by straighten the arm a little and see which one responds better as well.

Why don't you try it yourself? You suggested the experiment in the first place.

Just push your arms out in opposing sides, pull the fingers back, hold one without the fingers touching each other in "one finger pointing to heaven" configuration and the other with the 3rd - 5th fingers touching each other as you mentioned and see what happens.

Soon (no more than a couple of minutes for me) you will know in which one the qi is blocked and feel weaker and less powerful. You can also breath out and try to send the qi outward by straighten the arm a little and see which one responds better as well.
    ummm, are you serious? you really think I don't have an opinion / perspective on it, that somehow I am asking because I don't? "try it"? bro, I've been "trying it" that way and with variations for ~15 yrs. so I could talk all day in almost mind-numbing detail about my take on it; but that wouldn't be much of a conversation, would it? I mean, do you really WANT me to do that?
    dude, I asked you because I was curious what your experience was with the different ways of doing it, as you did not specify which one you thought caused your "qi" to be "blocked" - I know what my personal experience is, but why would I assume that you necessarily had the same one as I did? that would be pretty arrogant; therefore, I asked you to clarify; and it's ok if you don't want to answer my question as well, just say so...

also the way that you describe getting into the posture ("pushing" the arms out to the sides) is not going to get the actual effect that the movement is designed to get; just sayin'...

So why ask? You already knew.

Do you think it will make any difference of what I'd say, after your 15 years of experience of feeling one way or another and knowing what it is all about in minute details?

Just continue what you are doing and it will be find.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 03-15-2010 at 12:57 PM.

So why ask? You already knew.
    are you really that obtuse? or are you just doing the "Chinese thing"?

as you are doubtless aware, this is a DISCUSSION forum

people come here to DISCUSS things

DISCUSSION usually involves two or more people sharing experiences

since you had mentioned your experience trying the two different ways, I was curious which one generated the results you mentioned; hence, I attempted to engage you in a DISCUSSION about it;

so that's why I asked;

Do you think it will make any difference of what I'd say, after your 15 years of experience of feeling one way or another and knowing what it is all about in minute details?
    well, while it will not make a major difference, it might perhaps give me another interesting perspective upon which to reflect: it depends; see, even after 15 years of practice, it is possible to actually gain benefit from hearing about the experience of others; in case you didn't notice, I didn't say anything about my own experience until after you assumed that I had not tried it myself - if I had come on initially stating how much I knew about it, that might have come across as arrogant; instead, I made a comment; you replied; I inquired further; then you made an assumption and it just degenerated from there, unfortunately;

Just continue what you are doing and it will be find.
    are you being sarcastic? if not, it seems strange that you would feel the need to state this otherwise...

We've done a lot with baduanjin

Eight Section brocade is one of the most popular qigong regimens in the world.

Here's some resources:
    DVD
    8 Section Brocade (Baduanjin) DVD with instruction manual CHQA version

Eight Pieces of Brocade by GM Tu Jinsheng

VHS
    Eight Simple Qigong Exercises by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Ancient Oriental Health Exercises Eight Pieces of Silk Brocade

Music
    8 Section Brocade

Poster
    8-section brocade poster

Articles
    The Eight Section Brocade: Qigong From Shaolin Temple By Gene Ching (May June 2001)

The Eight Section Brocade of General Yue Fei Qigong for the Warrior By PengCheng Chen and Feng Wu (Part 1 Jan Feb 2004, Part 2 Mar Apr 2004)

The 8 Section Brocade By Annie Rose (Nov Dec 2009)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

"are you really that obtuse? or are you just doing the "Chinese thing"?
    as you are doubtless aware, this is a DISCUSSION forum
    people come here to DISCUSS things
    DISCUSSION usually involves two or more people sharing experiences
    since you had mentioned your experience trying the two different ways, I was curious which one generated the results you mentioned; hence, I attempted to engage you in a DISCUSSION about it;
    so that's why I asked;"

If you want a genuine discussion, why use a trick question?

Just tell us how you felt after doing it for 15 years with the two different ways, instead of pretending you have just noticed the difference.

You have already told me what I have done wrong, but you still have not tell us how you are doing it right and how you feel, so where is the genuine sharing?

It feels like an ambush to me.

I was born Chinese, so I cannot help but doing the "Chinese thing".
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 03-15-2010 at 01:21 PM.