Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Can you make what you do work in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I doubt it. I'd be more likely to cover up and evade for 1:00 and clock them right after the buzzer. Or when their mouth started hanging open and their hands dropped. OK, that might be at 40 sec.
    Actually you wouldn't. This is a military exercise to train aggression and overcoming fatigue. If you did cover during your match you would probably end up doing pushups until you were ready to puke and then sent back into the ring to try again and again and again until the point of the exercise became clear. We had similar training in the US Marines but ours involved pugil sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    perhaps I am aging....

IMHO, this is not effective, too much struggle...

Do anyone like to share how to finish this in a much shorter time and less moves?

Yeah, don't get involved in the first place..that's the shortest of all moves
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

another problem with the loose definition is that people can try to call anything wing chun.

someone might have one concept in mind, lets say for example "to hit and control" and they will call what they do wing chun. i guess its subjective--if you do 1% wing chun can you call what you do wing chun? IMO no, but others may say yes

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Those are good points and another way to put it. Misunderstanding is prevelant in the system, probably because it is concept based and concepts can be interpreted in a variety of ways. Alot of this also has to do with the teachers of the past, and Yip Man as well, he wasn't known as a great teacher, and from what I understand there wasn't much verbal communication of the concepts/principles of the system, you watched the seniors or Yip himself (he maybe showed you once or twice) then trained it and figured it out yourself. Luckily WSL, as well as a few others, didn't teach this way, they explained more and cared more deeply about the students they had.

When I was in TWC we were told exactly that about the YJKYMA in the "modified" version of WC, how do you fight in a stance like that. Now I know what it means and what it represents, it all depends on who you learned it from and what you do with that information.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    another problem with the loose definition is that people can try to call anything wing chun.

someone might have one concept in mind, lets say for example "to hit and control" and they will call what they do wing chun. i guess its subjective--if you do 1% wing chun can you call what you do wing chun? IMO no, but others may say yes
    The goal in combat is to defeat your opponent right? So for me it would not be about how I did it, or did I use WING CHUN in the process, rather it's about me walking away as uninjured as possible, and the opponent defeated, that's it. If that means me taking him down for some GnP fine, or just straight stand up KO'g fine, or even making him quit, fine, doesn't matter how it's done as long as it is done. Maybe latter on you can look back at what you did and analyse it, if you can remember what you did that is?

WC is the training, the acquistion of some tools and strategy, when you try to use it on purpose in combat, like consiously trying to use a tan or bong or chain punch, then you make it mechanical. Be natural with it, hit the guy with whatever is available, elbow, forearm, side palm, shoulder, knee, whatever, hopefully and I believe it to be so, the training (depending on how you train and what you train in WC) will have helped you do it more simply, directly and efficiently.

James

im not saying what you should or should not do in combat. i agree that whatever you do should come naturally and hopefully your training focuses on that ability, but what i am saying is that you can't do whatever in a fight and call it wing chun.

WC is a loosely defined style, but there is some definition.

The goal in combat is to defeat your opponent right? So for me it would not be about how I did it, or did I use WING CHUN in the process, rather it's about me walking away as uninjured as possible, and the opponent defeated, that's it. If that means me taking him down for some GnP fine, or just straight stand up KO'g fine, or even making him quit, fine, doesn't matter how it's done as long as it is done. Maybe latter on you can look back at what you did and analyse it, if you can remember what you did that is?

WC is the training, the acquistion of some tools and strategy, when you try to use it on purpose in combat, like consiously trying to use a tan or bong or chain punch, then you make it mechanical. Be natural with it, hit the guy with whatever is available, elbow, forearm, side palm, shoulder, knee, whatever, hopefully and I believe it to be so, the training (depending on how you train and what you train in WC) will have helped you do it more simply, directly and efficiently.

James

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Actually you wouldn't. This is a military exercise to train aggression and overcoming fatigue. If you did cover during your match you would probably end up doing pushups until you were ready to puke and then sent back into the ring to try again and again and again until the point of the exercise became clear. We had similar training in the US Marines but ours involved pugil sticks.
    I was talking about realistically dealing with it, not doing some stupid exercise. I'm sure I could do the d@mn exercise.

The goal in combat is to defeat your opponent right?
    One thing that's kind of hilarious is how WCK people always talk about "combat". Come on. It's not combat. Combat is Afghanistan, sand, and M16s. Open hand confrontations are a fight. I think it goes hand in hand with overanalyzing and theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    One thing that's kind of hilarious is how WCK people always talk about "combat". Come on. It's not combat. Combat is Afghanistan, sand, and M16s. Open hand confrontations are a fight. I think it goes hand in hand with overanalyzing and theory.
    I agree 100% with your combat statement. As for the exercise I'm sure you could do it also, I was just pointing out when you are going through the training you don't have an option on doing it or not doing it.

I also agree with what SJ was saying about WCK being as simple as "punch him in the face". WCK should be simple and direct. I think a lot of stuff gets added to an art as it moves into becoming a business instead of a way of fighting. As much as a lot of people here seem to dislike combative sports, the competition does keep some sort of fighting as the primary focus of the art.