Thread: Tips on cleaning my knives

Tips on cleaning my knives

ive just brought a set of carbon steel knives and I was hoping some of you guys could offer me some tips on keeping them looking nice.

ive noticed most peoples knives are covered in stains/fingerprints etc

ive got a touch of the ocd's and im determined to keep them looking nice

I often use the blood of my enemies to wipe them clean, perhaps that is a method you could try.

However, if enemies are in short supply, you could try Hanwei sword oils and a cleaning rag to keep them looking nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    I often use the blood of my enemies to wipe them clean, perhaps that is a method you could try.

However, if enemies are in short supply, you could try Hanwei sword oils and a cleaning rag to keep them looking nice.
    Hello,

Actually, I believe that the blood of your enemies, or misguided friends for that matter, will do more to damage than preserve. Too many elements which are harmful to the metal and would speed corrosion.

I would personally rub vaseline on mine as it would not only preserve but help to assure smoot penetration.

Oh wait a minute, forget the vaseline and go with the oil. The vaseline was something Phil told me he uses.............for other purposes

Don't ask, it's a Marine thing
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Saboi Osmosis View Post
    ive just brought a set of carbon steel knives and I was hoping some of you guys could offer me some tips on keeping them looking nice.

ive noticed most peoples knives are covered in stains/fingerprints etc

ive got a touch of the ocd's and im determined to keep them looking nice

You didn't say what sort of knives. So if you are talking about working knives, you need to wash them free of any bloods or fleshy fats because they contain acids and salts. It will quickly pit carbon steel. Wash them with hot, soapy water, dry them completely and oil them. I would recommend that you use a fine dry cloth to remove excess oils. A good knife oil will work quite well. For keeping a fine edge, you need an oil hone and a microgrooved steel to keep the edge true. I would occasionally oil and wipe the blades.
    All blood and fatty acids are corrosive, including human blood and fatty acids.