Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taiwan

olkat314 Guest

Taiwan

Does anybody know any reputable Praying Mantis (doesn't matter the style) masters in Taiwan?

Thanks

Tak

There are alot of good Mantis Teachers in Taiwan.

Here are a couple that I know of:

Adam Hsu (Currently in Taipei http://home.earthlink.net/~kungfuhome/adamhsu/

Wong-Jie (Taipei, In Piece Park; Saturdays 10:30 or 11:00 theres a group that practices Mantis) I hear that Wong-Jie (not sure about spelling) is incredible.

Taiwan

Well, I just had to open this thread in the hope that the Pong Lai group will tell us all about their recent trip to Taiwan. How was the training? What all did you guys do?

Was it secret and you can't tell us?

Seriously, how many went and what was the training like?

Come on Hua Lin, You know it's Mimi who has all the secret forms.
    <rib> <rib> Ha ha ha

Btw, good to see you back.

Now now Woli don't start toruble..yet
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Oh and by the way you have offended me and shao lin
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Sorry, NM, I couldn't resist. HL put it out there and it was just too tasty to pass up.

lol it's cool

filming secrets

There were 2 shows where the tv stations were invited to film and report.
    Many students from the states also filmed those shows.
    Some forms filmed were what you might consider too valuable to be filmed. Such as some uncommon or special 2 man sets.

White ape steals the peach(several forms of the same name) is about as long as beng bu.
    Some Taiwan students performed the solo and partner version. It is so clear that you could learn from the video.
    In the past such filming wouldn't have been allowed so I guess there has been an attitude change about secrets.

I questioned the filming of the forms also, but not my call.

Anyone thinking of a training trip to MLChina? Cancel! Go to Taiwan, trust me!

Any chance some of that video could be obtained by an interested outsider?

woliveri
    If they're so secret how do you know about them???

I don't know what the big deal is with filming forms. It seems to me that the only school that would be hurt by someone filming their forms would be a school that only taught forms and nothing else. For me there's a heck of a lot more to training kung fu than learning forms. While I will say I always enjoyed forms a great deal, I've also found just as much enjoyment (especially with more experience in KF) with basics. H_ell, I could be happy for a long time with just basics. Now, any form thief worth their weight with any experience in KF doesn't need to film anything. They should be able to remember from memory by watching a demonstration. I know people that have done that without a problem. Especially with WL. If they can't and want the form just go join the school. You can just watch the senior student practice and piece by piece go home and write down what you remember. There are ways to do it. Heck, I have TF's complete 5 animal form on film and I'm certian there are loads of others who do and I have never seen another school or anyone for that matter mention it, practice it, or compete with it.

One of the main things I found of value in training with a Teacher is picking up the "essense" of that teacher's movement and articulation of techniques. There is a whole different flavor of training with MC than Tu or others. Not to take away from the others but it's different. Like painting with Monet or one of his students (if he had any). You just get a different flavor of style.

HL, I know from my meditation. I have out of body experiences so I pop over the MC's house, out back past the secret guards, behind the orange trees and watch the secret form training... Got some cash, I'll teach them to you.

Taiwan rocked. Master Shr's student's demonstrated a proficiency in praying mantis. I'm not just talking about the advanced students either. It seemed that all the way down the ranks everybody was solid.
    As for Shr himself, you gotta see him for yourself.
    Just a note:
    I asked him about an application for a specific technique and he pulls out 4 right in front of me.

I was suprised by what was taped as well. Different from here where people are concerned with protecting their forms.
    I can understand filming solo sets as those don't reveal the applications like the 2 person.

Hua Lin:
    The interested outsider should probably ask Tainan, or Pong Lai and see what they say. They are in constant communique with Master Shr and could give you the best answer.
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

Video of Secrets

That video isn't available as it contains many kung fu brothers and several teachers. Some of those people might not be happy if a video of them was floating around.

There is a video available that I have filmed and edited. It contains an Eagle Claw form which is similar to the 7* style of PM.
    The single and solo versions are taught as well as the partner drills for the form and for 7* PM.
    This includes kicking, punching and takedown drills.

Thanks Tainan,
    That clears up Hua Lin's question.

By the way, Tainan's tape is awesome. A must have for any kung fu practioner.
    Not that I'm writing an editorial but I want to say what a great job Tainan did on it.
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis