Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jackie Chan's franchises

The Jackie Chan Film and Television Academy of the Wuhan Institute

Jackie Chan now dean of his very own film academy in Wuhan

The newly named celebrity anti-drug ambassador to Singapore and possible zombie Jackie Chan can now boast yet another title: Dean of The Jackie Chan Film and Television Academy of the Wuhan Institute of Design and Sciences (武汉设计工程学院), which opened officially on May 20.

In a post to his Weibo account last Wednesday, Chan wrote: "Today I have finally fulfilled my life-long dream". (We kind of thought managing a K-pop band was his life-long dream, and he did that back in March 2014?!)

After observing that Chinese films "always employed foreign crews and directors", Chan felt it was time to cultivate some home-grown talent. Thus, the Jackie Chan film school was born.

The actor/director said he's invited some friends in the industry, including actor Zhang Guoli (张国立), actress Li Bingbing (李冰冰), director Feng Xiaogang (冯小刚) and his wife Xu Fan (徐帆), to act as visiting professors to his school. He's planning on hiring even more filmmakers to teach his students not just in a classroom setting, but also on set.

The institute currently offers undergraduate programs in animation, performance and digital media and will offer overseas exchange programs as well.

We're proud of you, Dean Jackie Chan.

[Images via Sina]

By Sharon Choi
    For some reason, I thought Jackie already had some sort of film institute...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Slightly OT

Not quite a franchise...his old Beverly Hills crib. Swimming pools, movie stars....

Jackie Chan's onetime Beverly Hills address sells for $10.875 million
    Hot Property: Top Sales
    Adrian Anz
    By NEAL J. LEITEREG contact the reporter Swimming

Homes in Beverly Hills, Malibu and Pacific Palisades topped the most expensive residential real estate sales in the greater Los Angeles area last week.

$10.875 million — Beverly Hills

In the 1700 block of Green Acres Drive, a 7,638-square-foot home once owned by martial artist and film actor Jackie Chan sold for $10.875 million, $3.075 million over what it sold for in 2013.

Built in French Villa style in 1986, Chan bought the house in 1998 for $3 million and sold it nearly a decade late for $6.3 million.

Hot Property: Jackie Chan
    Adrian Anz
    Marked by a circular motor court with a fountain, the gated estate features a two-story entry, a gourmet kitchen with a rotunda nook, six bedrooms and 5.5 bathrooms. Grounds of about three-quarters of an acre contain a cabana with a built-in barbecue, an outdoor dining area and a swimming pool with a spa and a waterfall feature.

Jade Mills of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage was the listing agent. Robert Hovsepian of RE/MAX Optima represented the buyer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

America just doesn't get Jackie...

... but this is some explanation in the buzz for the U.S. release of Dragon Blade.

How Jackie Chan also became a restaurant tycoon
    By Reed Tucker
    August 29, 2015 | 3:51pm

Jackie Chan stars in the new film “Dragon Blade,” an historical epic about an exiled Chinese general (Chan) who teams with a rogue Roman commander (John Cusack) to fight a corrupt consul (Adrien Brody). Photo: Lionsgate Premiere

In his movie career, he’s broken his jaw, three fingers and nearly lost an eye. He once fell while leaping onto a tree branch and tumbled 40 feet, smashing his skull on a rock below.

So it probably comes as no surprise that Jackie Chan is looking to take it a little easier.

Jackie Chan Photo: Splash News

The Hong Kong-born star, now 61, is still making movies — most of which are released in Asia — but nonstop action isn’t necessarily his thing anymore.

“All those years ago I was jumping off tall buildings and leaping off moving buses. So stupid,” Chan tells The Post.

“So, I’ve had to change. It’s not about getting older.”

Nowadays, his films fall in many different genres.

“When you look at my previous films, I was fighting from the opening credits to the closing credits,” he says.

“But now [audiences] care about the plot, so I’ve had to adjust my style. And I’ve realized that with a strong story, even a single punch can make the audience cheer.”

His latest plot-driven endeavor is “Dragon Blade,” a sweeping, historical epic about an exiled Chinese general (Chan) who teams with a rogue Roman commander (John Cusack) to fight a corrupt consul (Adrien Brody).

The film, opening Friday throughout the US, contains its share of battle scenes and swordplay, but it’s not exactly chopsocky.

“I don’t consider myself an action star anymore,” Chan says.

“I’ve been trying to broaden my range, including my role in ‘Dragon Blade.’ I hope that people consider me an actor who does action rather than just an action star. You can expect to see me in many different roles in my forthcoming films.”

Beyond broadening his range, “Dragon Blade” reportedly broadened the actor’s bank account. The film has raked in a whopping $120 million in China already, some $10 million of which Chan reportedly pocketed as the star and producer.
    “In his movie career, he’s broken his jaw, three fingers and nearly lost an eye.”

What most Americans — who predominantly know Chan for the “Rush Hour” films — may not realize is that the actor is among the more well-known and influential figures in China, with a sprawling business empire and a sizeable fortune.

Chan, who is married with an adult son, is worth some $350 million, according to Forbes. The film mogul earned $50 million last year, putting him ahead of every other actor outside of Robert Downey Jr.

In the early 2000s, Chan hired a consultant to help him make money off his name, hoping to change his luck after the actor lost “several million, then millions again” in the 1980s investing in car repair shops, gift shops and restaurants. Chan was soon hawking a branded line of chocolates and oatcakes, and had satellite California Fitnesses in Asia named for him.

He now owns a fast-growing chain of movie theaters, Jackie Chan Cinema, that has 213 screens across China. The first location, which opened in Beijing in 2010, claims to be the country’s largest, with 17 screens and 3,500 seats.

Photo: Lionsgate Premiere

His Jackie Chan Design sells shirts, hats, accessories and other clothing emblazoned with a red-and-black logo.

He launched a chain of coffee shops in 2006 and once had a sushi chain, the now-shuttered Jackie’s Kitchen. He even opened a Segway dealership in Hong Kong. The venture was designed to bring clean technology to Asia.

Chan also has a second career as a singer and has released more than 20 albums.

The future star was born in Hong Kong, and at age 7, began studying at the Chinese Opera Institute. There, Chan learned both music and martial arts, often rising at 5 a.m. and practicing until midnight.

When he’s not singing or acting, Chan says he likes to focus on charity work.

“Life is too short,” he says. “With every injury, I came to cherish life more. I know that I am blessed, so I try to help the poor and people in need.”

He’s been an advocate for animals and has recorded anti-poaching PSAs.

“I actually like to watch documentaries on television, especially on Discovery Channel and National Geographic,” says the nature-loving Chan.

“They sometimes inspire me and my work.”

Like fellow rich guys Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, Chan has pledged to donate half of his fortune to charity after his death.

He also holds a seat on the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, a diverse board of some 2,000 prominent citizens that advises the country’s legislature.

A movie star in politics? China really is so foreign.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on the Jackie Chan curse

The curse of Jackie Chan? Chinese tycoon defends film star against claims he is bad luck as brand ambassador
    PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 15 March, 2016, 4:13pm
    UPDATED : Tuesday, 15 March, 2016, 7:40pm
    Laura Zhou laura.zhou@scmp.com

Actor Jackie Chan’s work promoting Gree Electric has been a success says Chinese tycoon Dong Mingzhu, chairwoman of the home appliance maker. Photo: SCMP Pictures

A Chinese tycoon has defended action film star Jackie Chan against claims he is a “curse” as a mainland brand ambassador after many firms he has promoted in the past have found themselves mired in problems and controversy.

Dong Mingzhu, billionaire chairwoman of leading Chinese home appliance maker Gree Electric – speaking on the sidelines of the annual National People’s Congress meeting in Beijing – said the actor’s work representing her company had not hurt the business.

“He represented Gree for two years and Gree didn’t die,” Dong Mingzhu was quoted as saying in a report on Tuesday by news website Huanqiu.com, which is affiliated with Global Times.

Dong Mingzhu, the billionaire chairwoman of Gree Electric. Photo: SCMP Pictures

“Some [media reports] claimed Chan was to blame – saying his work as a representative had killed these companies,” Dong said.

“[But I think that] it is the power of the company, instead of Chan’s representation that decides the life and death of a business.”

Dong’s comments came after Chinese media suggested Chan had proved to be a curse for mainland manufacturers’ brands because a number of companies had struggled after he represented them.

Chan, a well-known film star in China and around the world, has been a popular spokesman for mainland brands for years – endorsing a wide range of products from DVD players, shampoo to motor vehicles.

Jackie Chan has promoted a video recorder. Photo: SCMP Pictures

However, it appears that Chan has not brought the same level of success to all the businesses he represented to match his box-office clout in hit films such as both the Rush Hour and Kung Fu Panda series and The Karate Kid.

In one of the most high-profile examples quoted in the mainland media reports, BaWang, a herbal shampoo and hair-care brand that Chan first advertised in 2008, suffered a drop in sales after Hong Kong-based Next Magazine claimed in 2010 that using its products could cause cancer.

A still photograph taken from the BaWang advertisement featuring Jackie Chan. Photo: SCMP Pictures

The accusation, although quickly denied by both BaWang International and China’s State Food and Drug Administration, was a blow to the Guangzhou-based company, whose revenues have continued to fall since then.

The latest figures issued by BaWang show that its sales dropped by 21 per cent in the first 11 months of last year compared with the same period the year before.

The claims led to BaWang filing a HK$630 million defamation case against the magazine in Hong Kong. The verdict has yet to be given.

In 2011, food brand Synear, which produces savoury and glutinous sweet dumplings that Chan has promoted on the mainland, was ordered to pull one of its products off the shelves of stores after Beijing’s quality watchdog found traces of Staphylococcus aureus, which can cause painful skin infections.

Japanese car company Mitsubishi – which Chan has represented in China for years – said in February that it will recall more than 23,000 Pajero SUV vehicles on the mainland from September in response to safety concerns about its airbag inflators.

A scene starring Jackie Chan (left) in the action film ‘Rush Hour 2’. Photo: SCMP Pictures

In the mid-1990s, Chan was hired to represent an educational computer-like machine, made by Guangdong company Subor Electronics Technology. But as market shrank, the company was split into four parts in 2004.

Dong said Gree Electric had spent more than 10 million yuan (HK$12 million) on hiring spokespeople to promote its products.

READ MORE: Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee and Chow Yun-fat as you’ve never seen them before

Chan was replaced as the firm’s spokesman by Dong herself in 2014 – a move that Dong said would help to cut costs and allow more money to be invested in developing its own smartphone brand.

According to official figures, Gree’s revenues in 2010 increased by more than 40 per cent year on year after Chan was hired as a spokesman for the brand. It saw year-on-year increases of 37 per cent in 2011 and 19 per cent in 2013.
    Could our numerous Jackie posts here brought the bawang curse down upon us?

Naaaaaaaaah. Couldn't be.

Could it?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sparkle Roll

I know this is not what this is about, but I'm trying to envision Jackie in a Raimi flick.

Sam Raimi Launches Chinese Joint Venture Allegory Films
    8:33 PM PDT 4/18/2016 by Patrick Brzeski

Sam Raimi
    Getty Images

The new company, a partnership with German director Florian Von Donnersmarck, will finance pictures in the $30 million to $80 million range for the Chinese and international markets.

Spider-Man director Sam Raimi and German filmmaker Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck have partnered with Beijing Cultural Investment Holding to form a joint venture film company in China called Allegory Films.

The venture was announced at a signing ceremony Tuesday at the Beijing International Film Festival.

According to a regulatory filing in China, Allegory Films initially will produce two films a year. The partners said in a statement that Allegory will focus on Raimi and Donnersmarck’s directing projects, as well as other director-driven projects for the duo to produce.

Beijing Cultural Investment Holdings, which is listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, has committed $150 million towards the venture. The partners say an additional financing round is expected to raise the production resources to $500 million.

Beijing Cultural is the principal financial backer of Jackie Chan's film and TV production company Sparkle Roll Media. The conglomerate has other business lines in areas ranging from e-commerce to construction materials trading.

Von Donnersmarck is best known for writing and directing the 2006 Oscar-winning film The Lives of Others and 2010's The Tourist, starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp.

Said Raimi and von Donnersmarck in a joint statement: “We have spent the last five years dreaming up and planning Allegory Films, a platform where we, and a group of directors we admire, will be able to make films of the highest quality with worldwide appeal under ideal conditions. Thanks to Beijing Cultural Investment, our dream has now become a reality.”

Allegory Films will finance pictures in the $30 million to $80 million range. The movies will be distributed in China by Cultural Investment Holdings, while international distribution will be handled by a Hollywood company, the partners said.

CAA, which represents Raimi and von Donnersmarck, brokered the investment deal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie Chan: Down to Earth

Filmart: Jackie Chan's Sparkle Roll Media Launches Film Sales Arm
    3:04 PM PDT 3/12/2017 by Patrick Brzeski

VCG/VCG via Getty Images
    Jackie Chan

It will handle "high-quality action films and high-profile Chinese language films by acclaimed directors and top producers."
    Jackie Chan is getting into the international film sales business.

On the first day of Hong Kong's Filmart, the iconic actor's Beijing-based Sparkle Roll Media announced the launch of a new Hong Kong-based international sales arm, which will handle "high-quality action films and high-profile Chinese language films by acclaimed directors and top producers," according to the company. The new venture will also manage sales on all future Sparkle Roll Media productions.

“We are thrilled to introduce our new international sales arm, which further expands Sparkle Roll Media’s position as a leader in Chinese-language media and entertainment,” said Joe Tam, vice president of Sparkle Roll Media Culture Industry Development “The new sales group brings together a strong team with years of experience in the film industry, and they will play a crucial role in the growth of Sparkle Roll Media.”

Chan's primary vehicle for managing his brand and developing and producing his films for years, Sparkle Roll Media has evolved over the past decade into an international media company with businesses spanning film financing, film production, film distribution and marketing, exhibition (via the SR Jackie Chan Cinema chain), TV production, talent management, large-scale events and performances, and other activities.

Sparkle Roll Media’s new sales arm is headed by Will Lin, who previously was with Fortissimo Films, and Andree Sham, who spent time at Hong Kong filmmaker Peter Ho-sun Chan’s We Distribution. Veteran Hong Kong executive, Katherine Lee, will serve as a consultant to the company. Lin and Sham will share the title of director, international sales, and will report to Tam and Sunny Sun, vice president of Sparkle Roll Media.

On Monday, Sparkle Roll also revealed its latest slate, which includes: Bloom of Youth, (original title: Fang Hua), about the trials and tribulations of a Military Cultural Troupe in the 1970s; Jackie Chan: Down to Earth, a feature-length documentary, directed by Sun Lin, exploring the actor's five-decade career as a martial arts action-comedy star; and A Better Tomorrow 4: Ding Sheng, a brand-new chapter of John Woo's blood-soaked saga.
    Bloom of Youth & A Better Tomorrow 4 sound promising too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie Chan 14-Karat Gold Limited Edition Snow Skis

Not quite a franchise, but WOW!

Lifestyle #DeLuxe

DEC 3, 2017 @ 11:06 AM 2 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
    Jackie Chan 14-Karat Gold Limited Edition Snow Skis Unveiled For $42,000

Jim Dobson , CONTRIBUTOR
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Jackie Chan limited edition gold plated skis

The first time I met Jackie Chan he was hanging off a balcony of a superyacht in the French Riviera, his amazing athletic prowess and enthusiasm for stunts and sports had him displaying his skills for his fans. As I got to know him further I discovered he is more than just a jovial movie star, his unique interest in sustainability and rare woods led him to create an exhibition in his Shanghai museum. And now the film legend is part of an outrageous new limited edition line of snow skis from Foil Skis made in his honor.

The company recently launched the limited edition $42,000 Oro- Amaranto Jackie Chan Skis featuring certified Amaranto wood with 14-karat gold plated bindings.

Jackie Chan limited edition skis with 14-karat gold plated bindings

The use of Purpleheart wood is due to its extremely dense and water-resistant capability. The trees are prized for their beautiful heartwood which, when cut, quickly turns from a light brown to a rich purple color. When the wood is exposed to sunlight, it darkens to a brown color with a slight purple color. The dry wood is perfect for the flex of the Ski.

Jackie Chan gold plated poles

This stunning new ski was developed especially for Jackie Chan and was precisely tuned to Jackie’s physical abilities and skiing preferences. It also features a top layer in Purpleheart wood which was personally selected by Jackie, who also has a personal collection of the wood in his museum where he preserves endangered and rare species from around the globe.

Jackie Chan limited edition snow skis with 14-karat gold bindings

This Limited Edition ski will be available only for a short time and is offered with the exact performance and specifications as Jackie Chan himself uses. The “Jackie Chan Oro-Amaranto” package includes a souvenir book and certificate signed by Jackie.

Also included with all ski packages is an incredible travel bag that Foil created. The custom designed bags are hand-stitched by leather craftsmen in Italy and are made in 3 sizes. They come with a full-length heavy-duty zipper, carrying handle, front pull handle, and hidden wheels.

Customized travel bag included with all ski packages

Foil offers four additional ski creations, Oro-Nero, Rossastro, Bianco and Moca, each crafted from premium materials and completely unique. Moca skis are made from African Rosewood, and the Bianco and Rossastro are made from Blond African Rosewood and Mahogany. The Classico version is an all-mountain ski, and the Riserva is for slalom skiing.

At a jaw-dropping price of $50,000, the Oro-Nero is made with 8000-year-old Bog Oak combined with 14 karat gold plated bindings, poles, and inlays. Bog-Oak is a material from trees that have been buried in peat bogs and preserved from decay sometimes for thousands of years. The wood is usually stained brown by tannins dissolved in the acidic water. Bog-Oak represents the early stages in the fossilization of wood, eventually becoming lignite and coal over millions of years. It is a rare form of timber that is among the world’s most expensive tropical hardwoods.

The $50,000 Oro Nero line of skis

Foil Skis was launched in a small village located between the Alps and the Adriatic Sea in northern Italy. The company was created by Andreas Pichler and Nikolaus (Klaus) Heidegger. Their mutual love for sport, nature, and movement inspired them to create the company.

Every product created through Foil is unique, and they customize their skis for each buyer. From the first class inlaid initials to the vintage lock, classic flask and the monogrammed leather bag, Foil personalizes all elements of the ski packages they sell.

Custom flask included with all ski packages

Foil owner Andreas Pichler is a fifth-generation artist and designer from the medieval town of Doellach in Austria. He specializes in woodcarving, sculpture and numerous fields of design, including graphic, sound and industrial. As an award-winning designer, artist and competitive alpine skier, he embraced Foil’s legendary foundation and then, with valuable input from a team of master craftsmen, designers, and athletes, shaped Foil into what it is today.

Throughout his career, Andreas has created custom guitars and design concepts for companies such as Fender, Infeld, and Red Bull in addition to amplifiers for Bogner, Boutique Amps Distribution and more. Sculpting is his true passion, and he has revived the ancient Austrian woodcarving tradition known as Krampus, through his signature “White Mask Series.” His passion for woodworking also includes furniture designs and innovation utilizing a unique method for texturizing and finishing surfaces.

Andreas Pichler

I spoke at length with the charming and handsome Andreas Pichler about his company, the incredible new Jackie Chan Limited Edition Skis and his plans for the future.

“I consider Foil as “THE” representative of this magical, engaging, luxurious and almost fairytale lifestyle,” says Pichler. “Personally, I am passionate about craftsmanship, both from my own expectations and/or as inspired by the perfection of other craftsmen. I became a master instrument luthier (builder) at a very early age while I was still competing professionally on the Austrian ski team.”

With the launch of the stunning Jackie Chan series, Foil has created a unique relationship with the superstar and Pichler adds, “The Jackie Chan skis were inspired by his passion for saving dying species of trees. Jackie has his own museum of extraordinary historical species of trees and woods, and he dedicates his interest in procuring these treasures. We created this special ski for him in a style (wood and tone) that we customized to his performance skills. It’s a true Jackie Chan Ski. We work with SRG (Sparkle Roll Group) in China and Jackie is a part of that group as is Rolls-Royce. Since we are the exclusive ski partner for Rolls-Royce, Foil is often called the Rolls- Royce of skis. It’s a perfect fit for both brands.”

“In the Ski industry, there still is so much room for improvement. (in terms of style, quality, and craftsmanship, etc.).” says Pilcher, “We are working on a few key products already which will be unveiled fairly soon. I’m personally deep in the development of a perfect, fully-functional, solid Gold version of a ski, believe it or not … It’s a huge challenge to achieve the performance requirements, but we are close. The world will soon see the first and only $1 million-dollar ski package!”

Jackie Chan on the superyacht in Cannes (Photo by Stuart C. Wilson/Getty Images)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I like Jackie Chan very much. He's so cool

Dragon Quest

This is Jackie's recent promo for Hoshi no Dragon Quest, or Star of Dragon Quest, a videogame.

Continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

4th Annual Jackie Chan Action Movie Week

'Dangal' girl Sanya Malhotra not just met with Jackie Chan, but also got an award in China

Sanya Malhotra and Jackie Chan , Image Courtesy: Instagram

WRITTEN BY DNA Web Team
    Updated: Jul 25, 2018, 10:21 PM IST

Sanya Malhotra has been felicitated in China. The actress had visited the country to pick an award for her performance in her debut film 'Dangal'. Recently Sanya Malhotra had attended the Shanghai International Film Festival (SIFF) in China along with her Dangal co-star Fatima Sana Shaikh.

Sanya won the Best Action Actress Award at the prestigious fourth annual Jackie Chan Action Movie Week, held as part of SIFF, for her performance in Dangal. The award ceremony was held in Datong, China. Sanya, who made it to the event, even had a fan-girl moment when she met action superstar Jackie Chan.

Sanya Malhotra shared,"I’m humbled to have received this award for the movie. Dangal means a lot to me and marked my debut in the industry. I feel grateful for the honor from a lovely country like China. It only encourages me to work harder for all the people who have showered so much love on me since the movie released. Also, the cherry on the icing was meeting the legendary actor Jackie Chan. It was truly a fangirl moment for me. He is very humble, gracious and down-to-earth.”

Both Sanya and Fatima even posed with the star for a picture and shared it on their respective social media accounts. Sanya shared an image of her with Jackie Chan and captioned it by writing,"Met a legend who’s so humble, gracious and hospitable. Thank you so much @jackiechan for having us at #jackiechanactionmovieweek . Looking forward to watch the closing ceremony and especially the performance by your team ️#jackiechan#dangal".

In fact, Sanya is a big fan of Chan’s work and has seen most of his action movies while growing up. Her film Dangal released in China and received a humongous response from the Chinese audience, and Sanya left the audience and critics impressed with her performance as Babita.

Dangal had become the biggest film of the year when it was released in India in 2016. It was not only hailed in India by the audience and critics, but was also loved in other countries.

Dangal has been declared one of the most popular Indian films to have been released in China. Dangal actresses Sanya Malhotra and Fatima Sana Shaikh were honoured with the Best Action Actress Award for Dangal.
    THREADS:
    Dangal
    Jackie Chan's franchises
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

International Jackie Chan Action Movie Week

I'm launching a new thread for International Jackie Chan Action Movie Week, and copying the comment above from our Jackie Chan's franchises because this event has become quite a thing and will hopefully continue for years to come.

Jackie Chan closes film fest with stunts
    2018-07-26 09:22:41 China DailyEditor : Mo Hong'e ECNS

Jackie Chan waves to fans at the closing ceremony of fourth annual International Jackie Chan Action Movie Week. (Photo: China Daily/Feng Yongbin)

Jackie Chan's annual film festival recently concluded in Datong with a Chinese action hit topping the awards.

Top Chinese actor Jackie Chan, who has performed perilous scenes in more than 200 films over the past four decades, entertained his guests with stunts at a recent film event he has founded.

At the closing ceremony of the International Jackie Chan Action Movie Week held in Datong, Shanxi province, on Sunday, the 64-year-old superstar used a rope to alight from a helicopter that was hovering around 70 meters above the ground, thrilling his audience. The annual festival, in its fourth edition this year, was held in Shanghai for the past three years.

This year's event screened a dozen action blockbusters and honored industry talent.

For Chan, who ranked 59th on US magazine Forbes' 2018 highest-paid celebrity list, the festival is a recognition of stunt performers in the movie business. Chan, who's also a martial arts expert, began his film career as a stuntman in Hong Kong in the early 1970s. He wasn't paid much at the start, but the action scenes that included a lot of jumping, rolling and falling were risky.

"I was once slammed down hard against a cement floor, six times in a week. Every day I clenched my teeth to stand up. I was paid just HK$5 ($0.64) a day," Chan told his audience in Datong.

Chan recalls his early years of struggle as a stuntman during a forum in Datong. (Photo: China Daily/Feng Yongbin)

Chan has had a successful career, from the golden era of Hong Kong martial arts films to his foray into Hollywood and through more recent years when he switched to the Chinese mainland market. But most others in the field have not achieved similar success. The work of stunt performers and action stand-ins is undervalued, he says.

With the festival, Chan is using his star power to bring more attention to such actors and actresses.

"It's (the festival) still young, but I hope it will enjoy a popularity similar to some top events such as the Hong Kong Film Awards in the future," he told reporters on the sidelines of the action movie week in Datong.

Chan has an event to raise public awareness about environmental protection and at least seven new films on his busy schedule. "I don't dare to sleep. I have so many things to do."

Aside from an expansion in scale and size, the festival he founded has gathered more celebrities. Presided over by Hong Kong filmmaker Ng See-Yuen, the seven-member jury includes Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh, Chinese mainland director Lu Chuan, actor Huang Xiaoming and actress Bai Baihe.

Operation Red Sea's actress Jiang Luxia (second left) and Dangal's actress Fatima Sana Shaikh (center) jointly win the best action actress award at the movie event. (Photo: China Daily/Feng Yongbin)

Operation Red Sea, an action-packed blockbuster based on the Chinese navy's real evacuation of more than 800 people from Yemen during a civil war in 2015, was the top winner in Datong, with awards for the best picture, stunts and actress.

The award for the best actor was given jointly to Wu Jing and Duan Yihong for the crime thriller Explosion. Wu also got the best action director award for Wolf Warriors II.

The best actress award was also given jointly to Jiang Luxia for Operation Red Sea and Indian actress Fatima Sana Shaikh for the Hindi film Dangal, based on the real-life story of a wrestler and his daughters, which was a hit in China.

During the festival week, Chan visited some underdeveloped areas in rural Datong to promote local products. He says he was among an early group of top celebrities to launch a campaign targeting poverty alleviation. The Chinese government is aiming to eliminate absolute poverty by 2020.

Chan with stunt performers at the movie week. (PHOTO BY FENG YONGBIN/CHINA DAILY)

The festival saw many industry insiders, film scholars and critics discuss the future of Chinese action movies, which are among the most popular Chinese cultural exports in the modern world.

"Action is one of the most influential genres in the history of Chinese cinema. Superstars such as Bruce Lee and Chan have made 'kung fu' a buzzword across the world," says Li Wei, president of 1905.com, the site of China Central Television's movie channel and a major sponsor of the film festival.

The highest-grossing Chinese films in North America are still martial arts titles, such as Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Zhang Yimou's Hero (2002) and Fearless(2006), starring Jet Li.

Still, the genre has struggled in recent years and needs better storytelling for today's audience, says Yin Hong, a professor of Tsinghua University.
    Also copying this to our Operation Red Sea thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie Chan’s Richard Mille RM 57

I just copied out this indie Jackie Chan watches (as in wristwatches) thread from Jackie Chan's franchises because the holiday gift giving season is coming and who's your favorite publisher?

Style
    When You’re Jackie Chan, You Wear Watches Named After Yourself

Quite possibly the most high-wattage edition of watches of the week yet.
    BY CAM WOLF
    November 2, 2019

Getty Images / Photo Collage by Gabe Conte

Welcome to Watches of the Week, where we'll track the rarest, wildest, and most covetable watches spotted on celebrities.

Jackie Chan’s legacy is so powerful that people keep trying to make ridiculous things to capture the essence of a man who's acted in 141 movies, according to IMDB. A 2017 GQ profile lists a couple items of note from his stuntman campus: the half-Chan, half-horse statue made out of parts from past movie sets graced by the actor; a “legitimately ****ing incredible painting” of Chan doing kung fu on the edge of a canyon; a 1,000 year-old-tree he received from some guy for some thing—Chan can’t remember. But maybe nothing gets as close to honoring the sprawling legend of Jackie Chan than the Richard Mille watch that bears his name. The RM 57-03 pits a dragon and phoenix—both made out of gold—against one another inside the case, while a tourbillon whirs in the center. According to Richard Mille, the Phoenix is “the king of the birds,” while dragons are “the mounts of heavenly deities.” Jackie Chan is Jackie Chan—that’s good enough. That’s why he gets a special-made Richard Mille made out of titanium with a dial featuring two of the sky’s most mythical beasts. This week’s roundup of celebrity watches is chock full of other heavy hitters, too, like Drake, Diddy, and Roger Federer.

Frazer Harrison/BAFTA LA

Jackie Chan’s Richard Mille RM 57
    Today, I am reorienting my entire life around a single goal: meeting Jackie Chan. A good chunk of that aforementioned GQ story revolves around Chan’s generosity. Johnny Knoxville—yes, that Johnny Knoxville—filmed a movie with Chan, and says the actor would give him a jacket just because he complimented it. One day, I will meet Chan, tell him I love his watch, and wait eagerly for my reward. Until then, I’ll appreciate Richard Mille’s propensity to work with unconventional subjects. Collaborating with adventurers, race car drivers, and accomplished divers is cool, but it doesn’t open you up to the sort of inspiration that results in a design featuring a dueling phoenix and dragon.
    This article goes on to discuss other celebrity watches, but it's only Jackie's that publishers desire.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll wear it. I got some Jackie apparel already and I luv it.

Jackie Chan has a fashion collaboration in the works

AFP Relax News AFP Relax News•January 7, 2020

Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan

Martial arts legend and movie star Jackie Chan is kicking off the year with a surprise fashion collaboration.

The Hollywood actor and stuntman from Hong Kong has teamed up with Chinese activewear label Li-Ning on a fashion collection scheduled to make its debut in Paris on January 18, reports WWD. The series will be unveiled as part of the label's catwalk show at the city's Centre Pompidou.

Dubbed 'Li-Ning x Jackie Chan,' the series, which will be available to shop in China, comes as the label marks its 30th anniversary this year.

"Jackie was deeply involved in the design process, bringing his years of personal experience and expertise in kung fu, the influence of which can be seen across the products," the label's founder, the champion gymnast Li-Ning, told WWD.

Chan is the latest in a string of famous figures to move in on the fashion industry -- 2019 saw multiple stars launch their own clothing ventures. Rihanna made waves with the launch of her luxury label Fenty under the LVMH umbrella, while actress Kate Hudson introduced a new ready-to-wear brand named Happy X Nature and singer Justin Bieber rolled out a line of skater-inspired pieces via his new label, Drew House.
    THREADS
    Jackie Chan's franchises
    Li Ning
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips