Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I watched the Swedish version with my wife last night.

I thought it was the best of it's kind that i've seen. I'm not usually a fan of this type of movie(thriller/killer), but I enjoyed it. The fact that my wife was interested enough to sit through 2.5 hours of reading subtitles just shows how good it is.

Although there were a couple scenes that were really uncomfortable to watch, I thought the poetic justice that Lisbeth served was pretty awesome.

SPOILER BELOW!

Also, am I the only one that wanted to punch Blomkvist in the face for questioning Lisbeth for not helping Martin? Seriously? The guy was a serial rapist/killer and tried to kill him. Not to mention that he did it to his own sister.

If anything, he burned too slow. He should have been put on a *****et and slow roasted.

I just saw it last week, dreading the hollywood version...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    I just saw it last week, dreading the hollywood version...
    why are you dreading the hollywood version with someone like david fincher at the helm? this is not a studio style movie...this is david se7en, the game,fight club, panic room, benjamin button, mutha f uckeing fincher. respect his gangster.... its like when marty did the departed...****ing awesome movie.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    why are you dreading the hollywood version with someone like david fincher at the helm? this is not a studio style movie...this is david se7en, the game,fight club, panic room, benjamin button, mutha f uckeing fincher. respect his gangster.... its like when marty did the departed...****ing awesome movie.
    I liked the Swedish version so much, I just don't think it will be better...and I'll be disappointed.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

well i think with the cast thats being assembled in front of the camera, and those behind the camera in the writing and directing department. its shaping up to be amazing.

the sh!t gets thicker...

Salander Role Up for Grabs for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Thompson on Hollywood
    Thompson on Hollywood
    Thompson on Hollywood
    Thompson on Hollywood
    Thompson on Hollywood

Everyone is waiting for the news to break on which of the young actresses in the wings will land the role of punk hacker Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher’s English-language film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. According to producer Scott Rudin, EW’s story positing that Natalie Portman is back in the running because the studio is skittish about casting an unknown in such a pivotal recurring role is “not true.”

Being able to deliver kick-ass action, uninhibited bisexual sex, intense emotion and a Swedish accent makes this a challenge for any actress. Given that Fincher seems bent on casting an unknown under age 24 and under five foot five, Portman at age 29 and Evan Rachel Wood and Carey Mulligan at 5’ 7” seem to be out of the running. So expect Salander to be one of the final four (Emily Browning seems to have fallen by the wayside): French Lea Seydoux, American Mara Rooney or Aussies Sarah Snook or Sophie Lowe. There is an outside chance that Inception star Ellen Page could sneak in if she nails the accent. The decision should come down soon, as Daniel Craig will move into this movie this fall as Mikael Blomkvist after he completes Jon Favreau’s Cowboys & Aliens.

I like the possible casting of Stellan Skarsgard and Robin Wright (now divorced from Sean Penn) as Martin Vanger and Erica Berger, Blomkvist’s married editor, respectively. I’d like to see Berger nab a larger role in this movie than in the Swedish version, which omitted her sexy relationship with her star writer, who is what you’d call a man who loves women. That aspect of his persona is given short shrift in the Swedish films. Writer Steve Zaillian has promised to put Salander front and center in these stories—some months back he led me to think he was expecting to write all three.

Natalie Portman Back In The Dragon Tattoo Mix

Here’s the latest, a real curveball ...
    from Entertainment Weekly. They’re saying – cautiously – that Natalie Portman is apparently back in the mix. They do also cite a source inside the studio who offers a contrary view, promising that the role will go to

The ongoing story of Natalie Portman’s involvement with Dragon Tattoo goes like this: she was actively sought for the role, Fincher actually offered it to her, she declined, he started looking at other actresses, some of those also declined, last weekend he screen tested a good half dozen candidates or so, and now Sony are actually very keen to go back to earlier plans and lock down Portman for the role. It might be at least partially true.

now this is the biggest twist

i'm gonna say this is a big stetch, if paige didnt get it, if portman is really still in the mix emma has a looong shot.

Rumor: Emma Watson Chops Off Hair for 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'

by Monika Bartyzel Aug 11th 2010 // 10:32AM

Filed under: Drama, Foreign Language, Casting, RumorMonger, Remakes and Sequels
    This "news" was inevitable. A cute actress with long, flowing locks cuts off her hair one day. We're not talking a trim, but all of it, until said woman's hair looks like a pixie swim cap cutely clinging to her head. She then went on her website and said: "Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like it."

Naturally, within a day or two of the news, gossip columns started bubbling with "reports" that this actress -- Harry Potter star Emma Watson -- chopped it off not for her own sense of liberation, but to audition for the part of Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher's remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Gossip sites like The Sun claim that their sources attribute the new 'do to being gung-ho about the Salander part. Obviously, it's a possibility. Maybe she cut it to show that she's serious, and then realized that she really loved the new look. But to me, this screams an inevitable rumor whipped up because a young girl couldn't possibly chop off her hair like this without a film role in mind, and with Salander up for grabs, there was no chance these two things wouldn't be linked by someone, somewhere. And it looks like I'm right, since Gossip Cop reports that they talked to Watson's rep, who says this rumor is "absolutely false on all accounts."

No surprise.

If it was true, she's definitely an interesting choice, one that would allow Watson to continue the wizard-to-risque path crafted by her young co-stars Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Robert Pattinson. However, I can't say whether she'd be good. Watson has the least experience outside of Harry Potter, and a tough-as-nails punk heroine with a Swedish accent is in a whole other realm of performance.

Let's hope they cast this sucker soon so this continual wave of speculation ceases. Do you think Emma Watson is right for the role?

the search is over

and it seems they cast sort of an unknown, i predict that with this news and the fact that she is in the big facebook movie social network(also directed by fincher) that she is going to be big, hopefully eclipsing the crappy actress that is kristen (fidgety actor) stewart.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Rooney Mara will be “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” Columbia Pictures confirmed on Monday.

Rooney nabbed the highly covered role of edgy hacker Lisbeth Salander in the American big screen adaptation of Stieg Larsson’s literary set, The Millenium Trilogy.

The actress, who is up next in theaters in “The Social Network,” alongside Justin Timberlake (and directed by David Fincher), reportedly beat out a field of contenders that, at one time, included Natalie Portman, Ellen Page and recent Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan.

Last week, just Rooney, French actress Lea Seydoux and Australian actress’ Sarah Snook and Sophie Lowe, were reportedly left in the running, before Rooney was ultimately cast as Lisbeth.

Additionally, while his role as James Bond may be in limbo due to financial difficulties at MGM’s studio level, Daniel Craig has nabbed the part of Mikael Blomkvist in “Dragon,” Columbia Pictures also confirmed on Monday. Mikael and Lisbeth paths cross as they look for a missing girl.

“Dragon…” will begin shooting in Sweden in September.

David Fincher will direct, while Steve Zaillian has written the screenplay.

“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” hits theaters on December 21, 2011. The second installment of the original Swedish trilogy, “The Girl Who Played With Fire,” hit American theaters on July 9, and the third movie in the original series, “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets’ Nest” will be released stateside on October 15.

Noomi to Rooney

What? The woman who plays Lisbeth has to have two O's in her name?
    Will Rooney Mara make a good Lisbeth Salander?
    August 17, 2010 | 7:30 am

By now many of the arguments have been waged over the casting of Rooney Mara as the damaged hacker Lisbeth Salander in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." She's brooding, but is she tough? She's attractive, but is she too attractive? She can do moody, but can she get expressive? It's nearly impossible to satisfy fans of a popular literary character: Pick a huge star and she comes freighted with her previous roles; take an unknown and fans ask, nervously, what she's done to deserve the promotion.

It's not easy, in other words, being David Fincher.

Given this dilemma, the director split the difference: He took an actress some of us may have seen, but not one we have too many preconceptions about, the best-known among a group of unknowns (but of course not unknown to him, what with the director observing her up-close as the female co-lead in his "The Social Network.")

Those us who watched the actress in "A Nightmare on Elm Street" may have seen some of the same glints that Fincher spotted, appreciating the restraint that could serve her well in a role otherwise susceptible to scenery-chewing. If she's a little mopey, it's probably better than being a little over the top.

There's also a quiet confidence that comes out in Mara's Nancy Holbrook character, the kind that lies carefully between passivity and hyperactivity. In a horror genre where an actor's main skill generally involves running and shrieking, Mara conveyed fear in more subtle ways.

That quiet can also come off less as angry than as wide-eyed, a suggestion that she doesn't regard the world with the same suspicion as an actress such as Noomi Rapace, who originated the role. That's probably giving rise to some of the toughness questions. But there are worse things than compensating for swagger with soul. Mara makes us think of a less chirpy version of Emily Blunt.

Maybe most fitting are the ways in which Mara's "Nightmare" character parallels the Salander one. In the horror remake, she's also a strong but lonerish type, and one who happens to team with a male counterpart to solve brutal crimes using shoe-leather research. And she does all this, for the most part, convincingly.

Fans who hold the Millennium trilogy dear and worry about a Katie-Holmes-in-Batman weak-link problem may also want to keep this in mind: Repeat actor-director relationships tend to work out over time. Burton and Depp, Scorsese and DeNiro/DiCaprio, Hitch**** and Grant/Stewart. If an A-list director can work with anyone he likes and chooses the very same person he just worked with, he either really believes in him or her or really believes he can get something good out of that person.

Fincher is no stranger to mining new talent, particularly of the Goth sort -- with "The Panic Room," after all, he gave Kristen Stewart one of her first big film roles. But don't let that example depress you. In 1995, Fincher took another relatively fresh face and put it front and center in a movie that became a beloved blockbuster. The actor was Brad Pitt, and that role in "Se7en" in many ways set the stage for the actor's career. Mara probably won't become one of the world's most famous faces, marry one of the world's other most famous faces and adopt a group of children from Africa. But she'll probably do fine just the same.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well, this role should get rid of the "girl next door" image portrayed in the pic Gene showed...

so i watched it, finally

i was waiting for the third one to come out so i can watch all three, looks like it will be in american theaters this fall so i figured i would watch 1 and 2...and i gotta say this movie, is a david fincher type film, not only do i think he will do the book justice, but im gonna go on record and say that he will exceed everyone's expectations. as for rooney as salander, ehhh idk..we shall see. this was a very very good movie, from a extremely good book.

and speaking of noomi rapace:

Noomi Rapace Lands Lead Role in 'Sherlock Holmes 2'
    Add Comment
    September 13, 2010 07:02:04 GMT

The Swedish star of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' reportedly will play a French gypsy in the 'Sherlock Holmes' sequel.
    Noomi Rapace
    See larger image
    © /WENN

Early Oscars favorite Noomi Rapace has landed the female lead in the "Sherlock Holmes" sequel. The Swedish star of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl Who Played with Fire" will join Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law in the film.

Rapace will play a French gypsy, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The news comes weeks after newcomer Rooney Mara was named the actress who would revamp Rapace's role of Lisbeth Salander in the Hollywood remake of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

"Sherlock Holmes 2" is expected to start filming in October for December 16, 2011 U.S. release. Beside Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, Rachel McAdams who will also reprise her role as Irene Adler, Guy Ritchie has signed to return to the directing seat.
    cant wait to see what role she plays...love interest...nah i cant see that.

Interesting about Noomi

You got to see Played with Fire now Doug, while it's still in the theaters. Remember to cheer when you see our mag.

First Images Of Rooney Mara as 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' Surface
    by Erin Carlson · September 8, 2010

Fans of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" are no doubt eager to see how newcomer Rooney Mara channels computer hacker Lisbeth Salander in the hotly anticipated American movie adaptation of the best-selling Stieg Larsson novel. Now they're getting their first glimpse, thanks to new photos posted online.

The photos, first leaked on Mara's fan site, reveal the 25-year-old actress undergoing a full-on Lisbeth transformation. She sports Lisbeth's cropped black alterna-haircut, pale skin, and biker gear. One photo shows Mara riding a motorcycle; others show her being helped off the bike by two men. In that case, the photos might have been taken during Mara's pre-production practice.
    Photos: Rooney Mara's red carpet glamour

Filming will soon begin in Stockholm, Sweden. The movie also stars Daniel Craig, Stellan Skarsgard, and Robin Wright, with David Fincher ("Zodiac," "Curious Case Of Benjamin Button") as the big-name director. "Dragon Tattoo" is slated for release in December 2011.

Just last month, Mara -- younger sister of actress Kate Mara and great-granddaughter of Pittsburgh Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. -- was announced as the lead in the coveted Lisbeth role, beating out a slew of other contenders in the process. Her previous credits include "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Youth in Revolt." She'll next be seen as Mark Zuckerberg's ex-girlfriend in the Facebook movie "The Social Network," which opens October 1.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

yea im gonna go see the second one soon...luckily i live in a city where movies take forever to go out of a theatre...shoot there are films that have been on dvd for a year that are still playing at some 2 dollar movie theater on the lower east side. or in jersey..

Rooney Mara And Daniel Craig In Costume And On Set Of Fincher’s Dragon Tattoo click here