Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I watched the original a long time back.

It was a great movie but not AMAZING or anything....

I don't know what's up with the huge buzz. =_=
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

well because its a remake of a best selling novel, that has a huge following...and has one of the biggest and best directors in the game attached to it, not to mention the current james bond, and the cast just keeps getting bigger and better...i think that makes it buzz worthy..

Lisbeth Salander is a worldwide phenomenon

I'm amazed you don't see that, V.D. You are usually so perceptive.

The Millennium book series is the next Harry Potter.

11 October 2010 Last updated at 06:39 ET
    'Fifth' Stieg Larsson book in existence
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo front cover Larsson's books have become major best-sellers

The existence of an unfinished manuscript by late author Stieg Larsson's Girl with the Dragon series has been confirmed by his family.

His brother Joakim said in a US TV interview that the writer told him 10 days before his sudden death in 2004 that the book was "nearly finished".

Mr Larsson told CBS's Sunday Morning show that it was written as the fifth story rather than the fourth.

The three existing crime stories have gone on to sell millions worldwide.

Larsson, who died of a heart attack aged 50, did not live to see his books become publishing sensations.

His younger brother said: "This book number four, that's book number five, because he thought that was more fun to write than book number four."

Mr Larsson and his father told CBS they would not allow the manuscript to be published.

But it is said to be in the hands of Eva Gabrielsson, Larsson's long-term partner, who lost control of his estate to his father when he died.

Swedish law does not recognise common law marriages.

The two sides have been locked in a legal dispute over the issue since the author's death.

It is unclear whether the manuscript held by Ms Gabrielsson is actually the fourth book in the series or the same one - the fifth take - referred to by his brother.

She has claimed that his brother and father have not presented his work in the way he would have wanted it to be.
    I haven't read the books so for me, it's all about Noomi.
    12th Oct 2010
    Noomi Rapace Going “Alien”?

Actress Noomi Rapace could be the favorite to land the next big female leading role in Hollywood in the upcoming 3D “Alien” prequel. The project is set up at 20th Century Fox with Ridley Scott directing.

Several actresses recently met with the studio and Scott, Carey Mulligan and Abbie Cornish among them; but it was Rapace that reportedly left the strongest impression. The meeting between Rapace and producers was conducted in the past few weeks but so far no decision has been made on the cast.

Rapace is well known for her role as Lisbeth Salander in the original Swedish version of “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.” More recently Rapace has signed on to appear in the upcoming “Sherlock Holmes” sequel.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some pix

There are more in the article if you follow the link. I'm only posting two here.
    God dag, Kalle Blomkvist: Daniel Craig starts shooting Hollywood remake of Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    By Sarah Bull
    Last updated at 9:49 AM on 11th October 2010

It's one of the most hotly-anticipated movies of all time.

After it was announced Hollywood would be remaking the original Swedish adaptation of Stieg Larsson's famous novel The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the question on everybody's lips was who would be playing lead character Mikael Blomkvist.

And now James Bond star Daniel Craig has started shooting the blockbuster on the streets of Stockholm, Sweden.

Shooting begins: Daniel Craig has started filming The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in Sweden, in which he will be playing Mikael Blomkvist

The 42-year-old actor was spotted shooting one of the opening scenes of the novel on the steps of a courthouse in Stockholm yesterday.

Craig was also seen chatting to director David Fincher before another scene shot later in the day.

There was no sign of Craig's co-star Rooney Mara, who will be playing the title character Lisbeth Salander, on set, although she was pictured arriving in Sweden earlier this week before starting training for one of the film's many motorcycle scenes.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is the first book in Larsson's trilogy and tells the story of journalist Blomkvist, who teams up with computer hacker Salander to attempt to solve the disappearance of a young girl called Harriet Vanger.

And while the Hollywood version of the film is sure to be a hit, director Fincher insists he isn't trying to remake Niels Arden Oplev's Swedish film.

He said in a recent interview: 'There is absolutely no reason to do such a thing. Steve Zaillian has written the new screenplay and he based it on the book and made his own version.

Rooney Mara is in Stockholm to prepare for the part of Lisbeth Salander

'Sure, there are scenes that will resemble those in the Swedish film, but it is the book that we are filming.'

Meanwhile, Fincher also confirmed that British actress Joely Richardson would be joining the cast, although he did not reveal which character she will be playing.

Steven Berkoff has also signed on to the film, and is believed to be playing Lisbeth's villainous conservator Nils Bjurman.

The movie is expected to be released in late 2011.

Hornet's Nest is opening in America now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ok, so it took me almost 10 months to catch up on this.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    ok, so it took me almost 10 months to catch up on this.....
    geeez, what a noob.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I just saw The Social Network

I was mostly drawn to Rooney Mara, as she's playing Lizbeth Salander in Fincher's remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I can now see how this remake might work. Rooney's got a charisma with that edge and with Fincher's direction, I'm now less skeptical of the remake.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was mostly drawn to Rooney Mara, as she's playing Lizbeth Salander in Fincher's remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I can now see how this remake might work. Rooney's got a charisma with that edge and with Fincher's direction, I'm now less skeptical of the remake.
    never be skeptical of fincher gene...thats blasphemy.

Sony/Columbia took the red band trailer down.
    http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.p...hedragontattoo

Going into the future

Here's The New Yorker's review, set to be published next week. I hear there's some dispute over this review but I don't know the details. There's a second half on Tintin, but I didn't cut&paste that here as they didn't seem to go together. Follow the link if you're interested in that.
    Double Dare
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “The Adventures of Tintin.”
    by David Denby December 12, 2011

Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara in David Fincher’s new movie.

You can’t take your eyes off Rooney Mara as the notorious Lisbeth Salander, in the American movie version of Stieg Larsson’s “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” (opening December 21st). Slender, sheathed in black leather, with short ebony hair standing up in a tuft, her fingers poking out of black woollen gloves as they skitter across a laptop keyboard, Mara (who played Mark Zuckerberg’s girlfriend at the beginning of “The Social Network”) cuts through scene after scene like a swift, dark blade. Salander is a twenty-four-year-old hacker with many piercings, of herself and of others. She’s both antisocial and intensely sexual—vulnerable and often abused but overequipped to take revenge. She lives in an aura of violence. Salander obviously accounts for a big part of the success of Larsson’s crime novels—both men and women are turned on by her—and Mara makes every scene that she appears in jump. She strips off and climbs right onto Daniel Craig, as Mikael Blomkvist, the investigative journalist who takes Salander on as a partner, and whom she makes her lover. Craig looks a little surprised. In this movie, he is modest, quiet, even rather recessive. It’s Mara’s shot at stardom, and he lets her have it.

Much of the movie is set on a private island controlled by the Vanger clan, a wealthy Swedish industrial family peopled with criminals, perverts, solitaries, exiles, dead Nazis, and a grieving old man, Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer), who has never got over the disappearance of his grandniece, forty years earlier. In one last attempt to find her, he hires Blomkvist, who has been temporarily discredited in a libel suit, and sets him up as an investigator on the island, a place that no American one-per-cent family would ever dream of owning. It’s way up north, windy, snowy, and treacherously beautiful; once you cross the bridge to this enclave, you enter an icy hell. Blomkvist and Salander, warming each other, conduct their investigation from the island, hacking into whatever files they need; they leave only when they have to, with Mara, head down in the wind, tearing around Sweden on a motorcycle like—well, like a bat out of hell. The movie zips ahead, in short, spiky scenes punctuated by skillfully edited montages of digitized photographs and newspaper articles. David Fincher, who directed the picture (working with Steven Zaillian’s screenplay), moves at a much faster pace than he did in “Zodiac,” his 2007 movie about a murder investigation. In “Zodiac,” every time a piece of evidence trembles into view, it quickly recedes again. That movie is an expression of philosophical despair: the truth can never be known. “Dragon Tattoo” says the opposite: it celebrates deduction, high-end detective work—what Edgar Allan Poe called “ratiocination.” Everything can be known if you look long and hard enough, especially if you have no scruples about hacking into people’s bank accounts, e-mails, and business records. Salander is a criminal, but she’s our criminal.

At heart, of course, the material is pulpy and sensational. The Vanger men committed atrocious crimes against women in the past, and Salander, who is a ward of the state, is twice brutalized by a smarmy social worker who controls her money. There are certainly lurid moments, but I wouldn’t say that Fincher exploits the material. When Salander is raped, the scene registers as a horror; it’s prolonged and discomforting. And her revenge, however justified, and however much it may amuse the audience, is another horror. This is a bleak but mesmerizing piece of filmmaking; it offers a glancing, chilled view of a world in which brief moments of loyalty flicker between repeated acts of betrayal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dispute has to do with the fact that all press agreed to hold off on publishing reviews until next week so the studio can maximize its press. But some press went back on their word. Lots of oscar buzz around this. The original 3 films were mixed to poor reviewed across the board except offourse for the girl who played lisbeth.

Ah, a review embargo. I should have figured.

Often times, when we do reviews, there's an embargo relative to the release date. I feel for the New Yorker here as the timing of print vs. web publication is tricky. As a print magazine, it's difficult to meet embargo requirements. This is why we've moved almost all of our film reviews to our website.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just got this press release

I caught Rooney on Letterman the other night (coincidentally the same night as Robert Downey Jr.) I heard Charlie Rose did an interview with Fincher this week too.

“THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO”
    TO BE RELEASED DECEMBER 20 AT 7 P.M. NATIONWIDE

CULVER CITY, Calif., December 13, 2011 * Moviegoers will get a jump on one of the most highly-anticipated films of the season as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo opens one day early beginning on December 20 at 7 p.m. nationwide, it was announced today by Jeff Blake, chairman, Worldwide Marketing and Distribution for Sony Pictures.

Commenting on the announcement, Blake said, “This is one of the busiest times of the year for moviegoing and we can't wait to share this outstanding thriller with audiences all over the world. We feel that by opening for night-time shows on December 20th, fans of the book will be given the perfect opportunity to get a jump start on the release of an exceptional film.”

In The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Academy Award®-nominated director David Fincher (The Social Network) uncoils the world of Stieg Larsson’s global blockbuster thriller on the screen. Within the story’s labyrinth lie murder, corruption, family secrets and the inner demons of the two unexpected partners chasing the truth of a 40-year-old mystery. Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) is a financial reporter determined to restore his honor after being convicted of libel. Engaged by one of Sweden’s wealthiest industrialists, Henrik Vanger (Academy Award® nominee Christopher Plummer), to get to the bottom of the long-ago disappearance of his beloved niece, Harriet * murdered, Vanger believes, by a member of his large family * the journalist heads to a remote island on the frozen Swedish coast, unaware of what awaits him. At the same time, Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), an unusual but ingenious investigator with Milton Security, is hired to do a background check on Blomkvist, a job that ultimately leads to her joining Mikael in his investigation of who killed Harriet Vanger. Though Lisbeth shields herself from a world that has repeatedly betrayed her, her hacking skills and single-minded focus become invaluable. While Mikael goes face-to-face with the tight-lipped Vangers, Lisbeth plies the wired shadows. They begin to trace a chain of homicides from the past into the present, forging a fragile strand of trust even as they are pulled into the most savage currents of modern crime. The screenplay is by Steven Zaillian, based on the book by Stieg Larsson originally published by Norstedts. The producers are Scott Rudin, Ole Søndberg, Søren Stærmose, and Ceán Chaffin. The film is presented by Columbia Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures.

About Sony Pictures Entertainment
    Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE’s global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; worldwide television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of entertainment in more than 142 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.sonypictures.com<http://www.sonypictures.com/> <http://www.sonypictures.com/> .

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries. For more information, visit www.mgm.com<http://www.mgm.com/>.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I enjoyed the new adaptation a lot

The reviews are rolling in. Mine will be up tomorrow.
    DECEMBER 20, 2011
    A Piercing Performance
    By ALEXANDRA CHENEY

To play the role of Lisbeth Salander in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," Rooney Mara had her hair dyed black and chopped short and asymmetrical, her eyebrows bleached blonde, and her eyebrow, ears and nipple pierced. And that was only the beginning of her transformation.

A scion of football royalty—her great-grandfathers, Timothy Mara and Art Rooney Sr., founded the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers, respectively—Ms. Mara parlayed a popular (if small) part in David Fincher's "The Social Network" (as Mark Zuckerberg's jilted girlfriend) into consideration for the central role of Lisbeth in Mr. Fincher's new adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel.

Rooney Mara, as Lisbeth Salander in 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,' needed more than a haircut for the role.

To win the role, Ms. Mara, who was born and raised in Westchester County, endured a two-month audition process that included being asked to get drunk and then do a screen test while hung over. The Journal recently sat down with the 26-year-old actor, who was dressed in black from head-to-toe, at the Crosby Street Hotel in SoHo.

A goth haircut is one thing, but were you nervous about getting all those piercings for the role of Lisbeth?

I wasn't really fazed by it at all. I was auditioning for two and a half months at that point, so I was already getting into character and anxious to get started. They cut and dyed the hair and bleached the eyebrows all in one afternoon here at the Crosby Street Hotel. Then we went to Brooklyn and got the piercings. We walked in, we knew what we were going to do. It was me and David [Fincher] and Trish [Summerville, the costume designer], and she got me some orange juice and we got the piercings. David didn't want to stay in the room—he is really squeamish about those kinds of things, which is really funny considering the movies he makes. And it was really easy. It hurts for a second but I wasn't very scared.

Were you concerned about the amount of nudity required?

No. I wouldn't have been able to fight as hard as I did for the job—it's such a huge part of the story. And the character is incredibly comfortable with her sexuality. I had to go into it with the same mindset.

Are there talks of sequels or are you done with Lisbeth?

I'm not done with her at all. I think we have to wait and see if there is an audience for it. I think certainly there should be an audience for it; I think adults have been starved for a movie like this. I kept one piercing and obviously these [motioning to ears] are still pierced. If we do the sequels I don't want to have to get everything re-pierced.

What do you mean by adults being starved?

There are a lot of movies with adult themes that are made at an independent level, but I don't think there are movies on this kind of large scale that are catered to adults. No one wants to put the money into an R-rated film because it is harder to make the money back. I think adults have been left out.

Did you have a history with Lisbeth before you got the role?

I saw the Swedish film a couple of months before I auditioned for the American one. And then I had my first audition for the American film and I knew I would be screen-testing a few months later and knew I had a pretty good shot at it, so then I read the books. But I didn't want to read them—knowing myself and how obsessed I get with things, I didn't want it to be all the more devastating if I didn't get the part, so I waited to read them until I had a good shot.

What's different about your Lisbeth?

That's hard to answer. I spent so much time with the character, it's hard to remember what things you brought, what things are from the books. When you spend so much time that gets very foggy. People who read the books, our version is very close to the books. Larsson colored [Lisbeth] with so many facets and so much back story. You don't usually have that as an actor.

You're originally from Bedford, in Westchester County. Do you feel like a product of where you grew up?

I feel like its an incredible place to live, Westchester, but it can definitely be a bit removed from the rest of the world, and I don't feel like a product of that. Maybe growing up in a place like that has made me drawn to things that are much different than that. Like Salander—she certainly didn't grow up in Westchester, New York.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO Subscribes to Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips