Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Just read your review - hope you didn't over sell it. This one will be tough for me to watch. I read the Series before I watched the Swedish version and, although they made a couple of "artistic" choices with plot, the cast and mood were perfect. I was especially fond of Noomi Rapace in the original. If you read the books, you'd realize that she was absolutely perfect in that role. Lisbeth never let herself be a "victim" even though she was raped - plus, I was really impressed with her genuine ability to convey an Aspergers like persona without it being insulting or contrived.

There was just so much to like about the originals, anyway...

The books are definitely not action packed. This makes me question Fincher and Craig. This is not and should not be "Hollywood" material with big explosions and lengthy action sequences jarringly cut to a techno beat.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Just read your review - hope you didn't over sell it. This one will be tough for me to watch. I read the Series before I watched the Swedish version and, although they made a couple of "artistic" choices with plot, the cast and mood were perfect. I was especially fond of Noomi Rapace in the original. If you read the books, you'd realize that she was absolutely perfect in that role. Lisbeth never let herself be a "victim" even though she was raped - plus, I was really impressed with her genuine ability to convey an Aspergers like persona without it being insulting or contrived.

There was just so much to like about the originals, anyway...

The books are definitely not action packed. This makes me question Fincher and Craig. This is not and should not be "Hollywood" material with big explosions and lengthy action sequences jarringly cut to a techno beat.
    why does it make you question either? david fincher is NOT an action director...and craig just has 3 to his credit.

There's only one explosion

I'm fairly attached to the original Swedish series too. The more I think about it, the more I still like Noomi's portrayal of Lisbeth better. However, Rooney's take on the character shouldn't be ruled out by any means. Just because Craig is in it, it doesn't become an action flick. Like Harrison Ford, Craig can do action as well as thrillers. The new version is very entertaining, and the critics are just fawning over Fincher, making this a good candidate for many awards. I think the Swedish version is hipper, for those of us in the know. Nevertheless, this new version is still very enjoyable. I was more entertained by the new version. I was more moved by the original, but it was all new to me then, so the emotional impact of the story arc had a much more profound effect.

Anyway, I look forward to all your opinions on it. It's great fodder for film buff chats, and that's just what this forum is all about. That and, as they say in A Clockwork Orange, a little of the ol' ultravi.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

idk what to say,....

i should wait till i hate time to digest the movie...i cant say i left the movie disappointed because i didnt...the problem wasnt with the plot, or the characters...the problem was fincher, and im eating my own words on this...david fincher who is meticulous to the point of being *******, was not so in this film, this was not his finest work...which is weird because given his body of work(se7en, fight club, panic room, zodiac killer) this movie should have been a breeze for him. but he was sloppy, it needed to be tighter, not saying there was much fat, but it could have been much tighter and part of that has to do with steven zailians script to much time was wasted with the mundane affairs of the characters lives, adding the daughter and all that was pointless her character could have been done away with...also lesbeth was far removed from the case unlike in the book and swedish version where she is still following michaels work...so when she suddenly pops into the story you dont get that another piece of the puzzle fitting into place feeling..its just like here she is...now shes in...also when they have sex again it just felt random there was no reason for it...he almost gets shot she sows him up and she is like he got shot he needs to get laid...also she wasnt as domineering as she was in the other film...i loved the scene where he tries to cuddle with her and she is like " gtfo" i loved that and alot of women would of loved it too..it was a moment of true female empowerment more so then her getting her rape revenge...but god forbid a women is given to much power in a movie. also the epilogue...wow what a ****ing mess...too long and then the ending the absolute ending...i hated...because it made bloomvist just another ******* guy which he wasnt.

Surprised you had such a negative reaction

The more I think about it, the more I liked the Swedish version better. But I still liked this new Hollywood version a lot more than I thought I would. I've expressed my skepticism of Fincher's take earlier on this thread, but have to concede that it was still entertaining. It's not as good as Se7en or Fight Club (I wasn't that into Social Network personally, which I felt was overrated), but Fincher is the critics' darling right now and getting rave reviews for this.

Here's an interview with Charlie Rose.
    Charlie Rose: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

This is a funny reversal of opinion here. I was all ready to hate on this new adaptaion and Doug was singing Fincher's praise.

Fincher and Rooney both seem into doing the rest of the series. They had enough foreshadowing shots of Lisbeth's hornet tattoo in the film. In fact, I think we see more shots of her hornet than her dragon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

steve zalian has written both scripts so they may shoot it back to back...its gonna come in forth place...this is not a holiday movie so they couldnt expect big box office with giant pg13 action movies out around the same time. i may give this a second look...havent decided yet...a friend of mine has seen it four times already...

I'll probably wait for this to show up on Netflix. At first I was wondering if I was losing it because I didn't realize this was a remake of what I thought was a **** fine movies. Honestly dont get why anyone needs to try and re do something that is already done well and not to very ling ago. Hollywood megalomania at work again. Dudes movies are alright but I think over rated. Fight club for instance...im probably the only person who didn't think it was all that great or life changing yadda yadda. Its one of those films that developed this huge following, with people repeatedly quoting it; 'mnnaa first rules...' shat da fug up. That fight club was full of puzzies
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'll probably wait for this to show up on Netflix. At first I was wondering if I was losing it because I didn't realize this was a remake of what I thought was a **** fine movies. Honestly dont get why anyone needs to try and re do something that is already done well and not to very ling ago. Hollywood megalomania at work again. Dudes movies are alright but I think over rated. Fight club for instance...im probably the only person who didn't think it was all that great or life changing yadda yadda. Its one of those films that developed this huge following, with people repeatedly quoting it; 'mnnaa first rules...' shat da fug up. That fight club was full of puzzies
    i wouldnt call this a remake...the swedes just beat the americans to it...but the book is concurrent.

flopped hardcore!!!! which had to be expected..i mean seriously you got two big pg13 action films, and a kids film....lets see what overseas sales say...thats the only savior for this film.

We'll see how it does with the awards

It got snubbed by the SAG awards, but got nominated for Best Editing and Best Score from the Critics' Choice Awards.

To me, this plays out as a remake. It's hard to escape the shadow of the original. That received a lot of Euro & local critic awards, the biggest being BAFTA's Best Film not in the English Language. This new version is garnering a lot of critical acclaim (film people love to fawn over Fincher). But I wouldn't count on the Euro market as they're already much more familiar with the original. Honestly, who wants to see such a dark film over the holidaze?

Is It All Over for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?
    Mon., Dec. 26, 2011 9:27 AM PST by Leslie Gornstein

Is it true that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo flopped at the box office because people went to see a Tom Cruise movie instead? What's wrong with people?
    —NeatElla, via the inbox

Yep, the Dragon Tattoo girl got flamed all right. Charred. Scorched. Pick your favorite Lisbeth Salander-on-fire analogy and go with it. The film's opening is an unquestioned disappointment. Now, if you're hoping to blame Cruise for this debacle, here's what I can tell you...

Yes, his movie won, and David Fincher's U.S. remake of the Swedish juggernaut, well, did naut. The numbers are brutal. Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol, brought in an estimated $26.5 million over the weekend. At No. 2 was the new Sherlock Holmes installment, at $17.8 million. Even the new Chipmunks movie did better than Dragon Tattoo, which came in fourth with an estimated $13 million.

Does that mean that Salander has been officially trounced? Analysts tell me yes.

"A debut of $13 million over the holiday season is equivalent to a lump of coal, especially for a film that brings along this much fanfare," says Jeff Bock of Exhibitor Relations. "Dragon Tattoo will no doubt perform better than Zodiac, which also debuted with $13 million and finished with $33 million. But it is doubtful foreign grosses will bring much merriment, as the Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo previously lit it up overseas, grossing $94 million.

"With a budget approaching $90 million, plus purchasing the rights to the Millennium franchise, plus big-time marketing, this will go down as a dud."

But why? Well, you have my permission to blame the squeamishness of the American audience, especially during the holidays, when people want only escapism or sentimentality. The Dragon Tattoo series offers neither, instead depicting, among other violations, the graphic shackling and rape of Salander.

"The subject matter is very disturbing and ultimately dour, and as we saw earlier this fall with Drive, those films don't often connect with moviegoers, especially over the holiday season," Bock tells this B!tch.

A shame, really. In my opinion (which totally counts), this new interpretation of Dragon Tattoo is terrific. I highly recommend it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yea i wouldnt call it a remake but because there are so many remakes..it got lumped in.

projections were wrong the opening was actually not bad. $27.7million and 3rd place.

i have to agree with this article wholeheartedly....i couldnt understand the holiday release on this film or the massive budget, when you watch im like where the **** did the money go?

Five Reasons Why The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Isn't Kicking Ass at the Holiday Box Office
    Box Office by Anne Thompson | December 29, 2011 | 2 Comments

"The Girl the Dragon Tattoo."
    No question, Sony isn't happy with the early holiday returns on David Fincher's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Why did the studio put this violent R-rated counterprogrammer into the holiday window opposite "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"? It got creamed, grossing only $19 million over the four days and $27 over six days in release. Which leads many to ask, if the movie isn't wowing American audiences, why would Sony green light a sequel? Steve Zaillian has already started writing "The Girl Who Played with Fire."

While the movie, which earned decent reviews and an A Cinemascore, should score more than the modest $35 million domestic Sony predicted for the Christmas break, why did "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" disappoint?

1. The holiday release date may be Sony's biggest mistake. The movie wasn't ready for an earlier December berth, but the violent R-rated mystery (not a genre thriller--there's little action), makes unusual holiday fare. It had to face intense competition for the adult audience. And the movie is far less mainstream that you might think given the popularity of its source material. It would have knocked it out of the park on President's Day weekend in February.

2. It's not a mainstream genre title. Yes the books sold 30 million copies around the world, but in studio commercial movie terms, "Tattoo" is a brainy, cerebral, character-driven procedural along the lines of an Agatha Christie mystery. It boasts two detectives, not one. Breaking movie conventions, the male hero is white collar passive and reactive, almost feminine, while the heroine is the tattooed outsider vengeful action hero on a motorbike, better on computers, the sexual aggressor, and saves the hero's ass. Men are not used to this--hey, Lisbeth Salander is on top--and it creates a level of discomfort.

3. It lacks marquee stars. But, you argue, Daniel Craig is James Bond. Well, he makes a great Agent 007, but it's James Bond that pulls people into theaters, not Craig. Put him in anything else and he's a great-looking, charismatic actor with action chops and a wide range. But he didn't pull audiences to see "Cowboys and Aliens." Neither did Harrison Ford. Marquee movie stars are few these days. It helps if they are in a franchise: Tom Cruise in a "Mission" movie, Matt Damon in "Bourne." Only Angelina Jolie or Will Smith-- in an action vehicle--are box office guarantees.

4. Sony mismarketed the film. This movie should have opened better with such a brand title. Despite the R rating, the studio sold the movie as transgressive, dark genre fare to younger audiences, but it played to adults, many of whom had read the book. I don't buy the argument that this is another foreign remake that didn't wash with American audiences. Many of them did not see the Swedish film, which played art houses. This is more of an adaptation of book that was translated into English. The film's primary appeal was to women (attendees were 55% female) and adults (49% 35 and over).

5. It's too expensive and too long. Put David Fincher at the helm of a studio movie and it's going to cost--and two hours and 38 minutes takes its toll at the box office, with fewer slots a day. But why did this movie need a budget of $100 million? That's what dictated the prime-time holiday release date inside the Oscar corridor (which should have been irrelevant to this film). Gorgous as this and "Hugo" are, their inflated budgets make it much harder to come out in the plus column.

Awards

Two noms from the Golden Globes. I thought as much.
    golden globes nominations

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
    Rooney Mara – The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the score is gonna take it...rooney wont...cause she has the misfortune of running against myrel streep.

funny thing about this movie...its a technical flop(it may break even and make a tidy profit on demand and dvd) but the sequel is already greenlit.