Thread: It Doesn't Matter but...

It Doesn't Matter but...

Yesterday a patient thanked me for teaching his son, "that Karate stuff".
    Turns out he and a colleague were leaving the restaraunt he works at and were jumped by 5 guys. He dispatched 3 and then helped his friend. I have not trained him, and to my knowledge he has not been training w/ any one for 4 years. He had only studied w/ me a short time, covering SLT, and simple drills. He told his father it just was there when he needed it.
    But it doesn't matter b/c he didn't do MMA or BJJ. He didn't go back in a time machine and fight Mohamed Ali in his prime, he didn't fight Tito or Shogun, hell not even a Gracie! He didn't get a trophy or belt, it wasn't fought in a cage so it doesn't matter.
    But it mattered to his dad, that his son wasn't in the hospital, and it mattered to his friend who was gettin the $*#t kicked out of him and I imagine he was happy too.
    Don Berry DC RKC

Quote Originally Posted by donbdc View Post
    Yesterday a patient thanked me for teaching his son, "that Karate stuff".
    Turns out he and a colleague were leaving the restaraunt he works at and were jumped by 5 guys. He dispatched 3 and then helped his friend. I have not trained him, and to my knowledge he has not been training w/ any one for 4 years. He had only studied w/ me a short time, covering SLT, and simple drills. He told his father it just was there when he needed it.
    But it doesn't matter b/c he didn't do MMA or BJJ. He didn't go back in a time machine and fight Mohamed Ali in his prime, he didn't fight Tito or Shogun, hell not even a Gracie! He didn't get a trophy or belt, it wasn't fought in a cage so it doesn't matter.
    But it mattered to his dad, that his son wasn't in the hospital, and it mattered to his friend who was gettin the $*#t kicked out of him and I imagine he was happy too.
    Don Berry DC RKC
    No need for the qualification..

Good for him and you since I guess you DID train him.. Sometimes not knowing what you "can't do" is useful..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I personally trained extensively as a young person, but WC is a system that is not difficult to learn or use. What you learn today, you can use today. It stays with you for the rest of your life really. It does not require extreme training to be able to apply it, and you don't have to continue extreme training to retain it. It is a system based in good physics that anyone in any condition or physical build can learn and apply. Learning the Sil Lim and doing the drills are enough to give one a bit of advantage over the untrained fighter. That little bit of training that you gave him must have made a great difference in his abilities to take care of himself.