Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Wooden Dummy Available?

Best Wooden Dummy Available?

Hello,

As above more or less...Where is the best place to buy an excellent dummy that will take lots of abuse? Are there any places online that you would recommend? Where is the best place to buy the strongest dummy? I am saving up for one and couldn't be bothered to make one. How much will an excellent one cost?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tao

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Hello,

As above more or less...Where is the best place to buy an excellent dummy that will take lots of abuse? Are there any places online that you would recommend? Where is the best place to buy the strongest dummy? I am saving up for one and couldn't be bothered to make one. How much will an excellent one cost?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tao
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check into:

little-raven.com

She makes superb well mad e jong-s- but her table is often full. She is also a very good wing chun stylist. She knows what a good jong should be but she can also adjust to other preferences. Phil and I know another person in Michigan(?) who makes pretty good dummies.

joy chaudhuri

I've always used Clark Thornton at Great Lion Co. But now he no longer makes them of entirely of wood. Now the body is PVC, the arms are oak, and the legs (it has 3) are steel.

Everything wing chun has some dummies where you can see the actual dummy you'd be purchasing. Aaron keeps in good contact with you should you have any concerns.

I'd trust Joy and Phil though in their choices. Phil also has a lead on a dummy from overseas that's more modern in materials and design. You might want to PM him about it.

Overall though...most MYJ's are in the 600-800 range. Some are as low as 500 and some are over a grand (USD).
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Mark Hobbs' Pagoda MYJ's are meant to be very good

Cameron Charles @ http://www.ttwdc.co.uk/

If you are in the Uk or nearby.

Awesome, got a dummy from him, he offers a very personal service and the craftmanship is alot better than any other dummy I have come across so far.

He even crated it up and delivered it to Portsmouth for shipping.

Clark made me a great pvc dummy with cocobolo arms in a wider configuration than WC. takes a beating and keeps on coming back for more.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I managed to get a Clark Thornton Wooden Dummy right before he stopped using wood for the bodies. If you come across somebody selling a used one, I suggest you pick it up ASAP.

I need to get a new dummy myself.
    Got get one locally though or the S&H kills me !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Almost A Ghost View Post
    I managed to get a Clark Thornton Wooden Dummy right before he stopped using wood for the bodies. If you come across somebody selling a used one, I suggest you pick it up ASAP.
    I'm still steamed that I sold mine. I never thought that Clark would stop making the wooden bodies...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I'm still steamed that I sold mine. I never thought that Clark would stop making the wooden bodies...
    After making my own last year I can understand why. It's such a pain to drill through the wooden body, and I only oak for my body.

Unless you have a radial drill or some sort of automatic drilling set-up, it is a horrid pain !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Mark Hobbs' Jong's are made in Vietnam, based on Koo Sang's design. It feels just like my Sifu's style of Jong. I think they are the best.

IMO, PVC may be a cheap substitute but is subject to cracks and collapse, once a person hits it full power. A visiting FMA guy had a PVC Jong in his Uncle's back yard and asked me to demo the set on it last year. I accidently destroyed it, because I am so used to working my wood Jong. In my opinion, the PVC is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    IMO, PVC may be a cheap substitute but is subject to cracks and collapse, once a person hits it full power. A visiting FMA guy had a PVC Jong in his Uncle's back yard and asked me to demo the set on it last year. I accidently destroyed it, because I am so used to working my wood Jong. In my opinion, the PVC is a joke.
    Hi Robert!

I think it likely depends on the thickness of the PVC. The one you destroyed may have been relatively thin. I have one of these (Wing Chun version of course), and really like it:

http://www.thewarrior.com/warriors/lee_wing.htm

The core is PVC, but pretty thick. The padded covering means that I can work it harder than I used to work my wooden dummy, and so far it has held up fine. Since it is attached to a weighted base, there really is no problem with the weight difference between a wooden trunk and a PVC trunk. Another feature I like as compare to the frame-mount method......I can apply pressure and force into the dummy and slide it around on the floor to simulate stepping into an opponent and breaking his structure. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't slide easily!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Hi Robert!

I think it likely depends on the thickness of the PVC. The one you destroyed may have been relatively thin. I have one of these (Wing Chun version of course), and really like it:

http://www.thewarrior.com/warriors/lee_wing.htm

The core is PVC, but pretty thick. The padded covering means that I can work it harder than I used to work my wooden dummy, and so far it has held up fine. Since it is attached to a weighted base, there really is no problem with the weight difference between a wooden trunk and a PVC trunk. Another feature I like as compare to the frame-mount method......I can apply pressure and force into the dummy and slide it around on the floor to simulate stepping into an opponent and breaking his structure. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't slide easily!
    I'm crap at construkshun, so I bought one of those dummies. I got the one with the water base and I love it.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Where is the best place to buy an excellent dummy that will take lots of abuse?
    One day I found a telephone pole on the ground, I took it home and made a WC dummy myself. I added strong spring to the arms. It works much better than those comercial wooden dummy IMO.