Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Wooden Dummy Available?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    One day I found a telephone pole on the ground, I took it home and made a WC dummy myself. I added strong spring to the arms. It works much better than those comercial wooden dummy IMO.
    Welcome to the world of toxins. For you who may have "found" a telephone pole, please consider:

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/wood...les/intro.html

http://www.toxictortlitigationblog.c...lephone-poles/

http://www.ehow.com/list_6825513_epa...gulations.html

It'll save you more money to buy a commercial one rather than exposing yourself to toxins.

Blog Entries
    Good information. Thanks!

Clark Thornton/Great Lion

Clark Thornton makes a wooden mook jong that is a bit different in design from any other I have seen. I own one of these and it is absolutely awesome!

As far as I know, he is still making these, and for what you get, the cost is quite reasonable!
    Keep Blasting!
    Sifu Lamar M. Davis II
    Certified Full Instructor
    HARDCORE JEET KUNE DO CHINESE GUNG FU ASSOCIATION
    http://www.HardcoreJKD.com
    Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com

"Hit First, Hit Fast & Hit Hard ....... ALWAYS!"

That is pretty unique! It looks like the trunk is fashioned from multiple discs of wood stacked on top of each other. The "edge on" result would be alike a kitchen cutting board...very strong. I'm not sure why you would need a MYJ trunk that strong, but hey...it is unique!

wooden dummy muk yan jong

checkout my jong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df8JvDG2Ods

made a few, also listed on CL philly.

thanks

I made one out of a pole. As robert said make sure its not treated. The top picture looks like the surface is completly round. normally it has heaps of faces or flat bits 1-2mm wide as this gives the dummy a rough surface so its not just flat and your hand just slips off.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuLMDII View Post
    Clark Thornton makes a wooden mook jong that is a bit different in design from any other I have seen. I own one of these and it is absolutely awesome!

As far as I know, he is still making these, and for what you get, the cost is quite reasonable!
    Nice jong and I like the arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpn9iIYpjI
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

does the leg look like its at the right angle. looks alittle horizontal.

Dummy Wall Mount

I have a dummy. It used to be on a freestanding frame in my apartment. Now that I have moved I want to mount in on the wall. Any good designs? How has everyone mounted his or her dummy? Any good plans or one I can buy? Thanks.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    out of curiosity, I had heard that a jong needs to be made out of a single trunk of wood, and that it enables it to have a certain resonance that pvc, composites, or that stacked discs of wood jong would not have. Vibrations from striking are absorbed back into the body, and a jong that does not resonate would-I don't know, what? Resonate incorrectly? Not that there isn't a such thing as different resonation from different woods-that's why honduras mahogany, brazillian rosewood,swamp ash, alder, etc are chosen for guitars. Each wood resonates, responds, breathes differently and affects tone, sustain, etc.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

From my understanding wood laminates resist cracking better than a solid dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    I have a dummy. It used to be on a freestanding frame in my apartment. Now that I have moved I want to mount in on the wall. Any good designs? How has everyone mounted his or her dummy? Any good plans or one I can buy? Thanks.
    Well one on my Sifu suggested something he did in HK so that he wouldn't damage his rented apartment.
    I did the same in NYC. First you take a measurement from the floor to the ceiling along a wall. Then you get two 4x4s cut to that measurement. The idea is to wedge each 4x4 between the ceiling and the floor at the proper distance apart to mount the slats.
    If you have carpet you don't need to worry to much about the floor. If you have any other type of floor you should place a small piece of carpet down.
    You'll also need to wedge a piece of carpet between the 4x4 and the ceiling so you won't damage the ceiling.
    Of course you'll have to add the carpet thickness into the measurement. You first wedge the 4x4 against the ceiling then use a mallet or something to knock the bottom against the wall. If you measurement is too long you may have to plane the 4x4. If it's a little short all you'll need to do is add a shiv(sp)? between the floor and the 4x4. Once that is done you'll need some 2x2s drilled into the 4x4s to make 4 mounts to accommodate the slats.The 2x4s will also keep the tenons of the arms and legs from touching the wall. I hope I explained that right.
    Anyway, I like this method because I don't damage the apartment and can get my deposit back when I move.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Well one on my Sifu suggested something he did in HK so that he wouldn't damage his rented apartment.
    I did the same in NYC. First you take a measurement from the floor to the ceiling along a wall. Then you get two 4x4s cut to that measurement. The idea is to wedge each 4x4 between the ceiling and the floor at the proper distance apart to mount the slats.
    If you have carpet you don't need to worry to much about the floor. If you have any other type of floor you should place a small piece of carpet down.
    You'll also need to wedge a piece of carpet between the 4x4 and the ceiling so you won't damage the ceiling.
    Of course you'll have to add the carpet thickness into the measurement. You first wedge the 4x4 against the ceiling then use a mallet or something to knock the bottom against the wall. If you measurement is too long you may have to plane the 4x4. If it's a little short all you'll need to do is add a shiv(sp)? between the floor and the 4x4. Once that is done you'll need some 2x2s drilled into the 4x4s to make 4 mounts to accommodate the slats.The 2x4s will also keep the tenons of the arms and legs from touching the wall. I hope I explained that right.
    Anyway, I like this method because I don't damage the apartment and can get my deposit back when I move.
    Thanks Phil. I was trying to convince someone to get a jong last night but he was saying how difficult it would be because he lives in an apartment. Hopefully this will work for him.
    Last edited by RedJunkRebel; 03-14-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    you can also build a platform, using 4x4's for the framework, plywood for the floor and build the uprights into it.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

You could always go with a movable dummy stand that uses weights to keep it in place.