Thread: Training WC fighter for competition fighting

Training WC fighter for competition fighting

After reading on the thread "Why is there not a single WC fighter, anywhere". I see that we are not going anyway. As from my limited knowledge Wing Chun is not a fighting system for use in competition. It is a system for street/ self defense fighting. Anyway, I agreed with the concern of the OP of "Why is there not a single WC fighter, anywhere" So should we start training our Wing Chun students for Full Contact Competition? I know this is not what Kung Fu is supposed to be, it is for self development. But for the sake of proofing that Wing Chun can also be good for MMA, Full Contact competition, there are some students which does want to compete. So how should we develop, and adapt WC for competition without losing the core principle of Wing Chun?

I personally think that WC can be use for competition but there are a lot of work to do, since a lot of the techniques will be illegal in MMA and Full contact competition. How should we adapt to competition without losing the core principle of Wing Chun? Also I noticed that MMA glove will stop us from punching properly using WC punch due to the restriction of the movement allowed from the MMA glove.
    Last edited by kowloonboy; 05-16-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Honestly, we should be less concerned about preserving principles and doing right by a particular fighter whether it ends up being text book Wing Chun or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Honestly, we should be less concerned about preserving principles and doing right by a particular fighter whether it ends up being text book Wing Chun or not.
    I have found this link http://www.kwokwingchun.co.uk/techni...e-vs-technique

Where Grandmaster Kwok said that Principle is more important than just techniques of Wing Chun, so if we stick to the principle. Can't we train the next generation of competition WC fighter for the ring?

I am looking at the principle and thinking that even though the center line the the most important and should be the main attacking areas, but WC principle never said we can't attack areas which is not within the center line. It only said that we should attack the center line, but never said we shall only attack center line.

Also in the term of kicking, WC principles warned us that we should kick below mid-section, but never said that we must only kick below mid-section. So could WC principles be just a guide for us to be safe guard for the best practice, but never said that we can't kick above mid-section?

Also since WC is supposed to for street/ self defense, therefore we don't train so much in stamina, if we are going to train WC fighter for the ring, we need to also focus in what is required for the ring.

I am not looking to make trouble, I only have a open mind in the interpretation of the principles. What do others think?

Blog Entries
    To have open mind is very important. Taiji guidelines require that

- Your body should not lean. If you throw a $100 bill on the ground, even a Taiji master will lean.
    - You should not attack first. If you go to bed with a Taiji master's love one, that Taiji master will attack you first for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    I have found this link http://www.kwokwingchun.co.uk/techni...e-vs-technique

Where Grandmaster Kwok said that Principle is more important than just techniques of Wing Chun, so if we stick to the principle. Can't we train the next generation of competition WC fighter for the ring?
    That sort of thing makes sense, but it really just depends on how backwards the particular lineage, school, or individual are.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you go to bed with a Taiji master's love one, that Taiji master will attack you first for sure.
    That comment made my day.

Anyone in NYC can come by for fight training. My info is on my website. I love to train people to use WC for competing.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Anyone in NYC can come by for fight training. My info is on my website. I love to train people to use WC for competing.
    Phil,

If all goes well I hope to be in Philly around Thanksgiving. Hope to be in town a couple of days and to visit Sifu Chow while up there.

Perhaps you can make some time for me so I can be "trained" properly. Lord knows I need all the help I can get.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    After reading on the thread "Why is there not a single WC fighter, anywhere". I see that we are not going anyway. As from my limited knowledge Wing Chun is not a fighting system for use in competition. It is a system for street/ self defense fighting. Anyway, I agreed with the concern of the OP of "Why is there not a single WC fighter, anywhere" So should we start training our Wing Chun students for Full Contact Competition? I know this is not what Kung Fu is supposed to be, it is for self development. But for the sake of proofing that Wing Chun can also be good for MMA, Full Contact competition, there are some students which does want to compete. So how should we develop, and adapt WC for competition without losing the core principle of Wing Chun?

I personally think that WC can be use for competition but there are a lot of work to do, since a lot of the techniques will be illegal in MMA and Full contact competition. How should we adapt to competition without losing the core principle of Wing Chun? Also I noticed that MMA glove will stop us from punching properly using WC punch due to the restriction of the movement allowed from the MMA glove.
    Why bother to change WC to fit in for MMA. Why reinvent the wheel just learn MMA. Or any spot based art. Why is there a need to change WC into MMA? I believe the essence will be lost if you try to. I think people who want to do this their main movitvation is they want respect from MMA fighters and an a feeling of. Their **** not working.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..