Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WC VS MMA, Street fighting & boxing

WC VS MMA, Street fighting & boxing

I've been watching videos of Wing Chun against other systems of martial arts and I am wondering if there are any videos out there which really show what Wing Chun can do. Or, are these videos that are out there really representative of what Wing Chun can do.

From the videos that I've seen, punching from center line as we are taught in Wing Chun is easily avoided by systems such as western Boxing. Boxers are taught to avoid strikes, parry, and block. How do we control distance in a fight when or opponet moves every time we enter? If we draw in a boxer, he will try to hook over our lead hand. A boxers hands can be very fast. How can I trap what I can not catch?

Ok. I've digressed. Really. I would just like to see some videos of when Wing Chun worked. Does anybody have some links that they can share?

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    the dead horse is dead already...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefer View Post
    I've been watching videos of Wing Chun against other systems of martial arts and I am wondering if there are any videos out there which really show what Wing Chun can do. Or, are these videos that are out there really representative of what Wing Chun can do.

From the videos that I've seen, punching from center line as we are taught in Wing Chun is easily avoided by systems such as western Boxing. Boxers are taught to avoid strikes, parry, and block. How do we control distance in a fight when or opponet moves every time we enter? If we draw in a boxer, he will try to hook over our lead hand. A boxers hands can be very fast. How can I trap what I can not catch?

Ok. I've digressed. Really. I would just like to see some videos of when Wing Chun worked. Does anybody have some links that they can share?
    nope because no one has as yet caught real wing chun on video...it’s kind of like the Lock Ness monster in that regard...... people swear it exists and have seen it but apart from a few granny still black and white photos no one can actually provide prove its real

Comments embedded in brackets.

(generally-videos are not a good way to see competent wing chun on action))

From the videos that I've seen, punching from center line as we are taught in Wing Chun is easily avoided by systems such as western Boxing.

((depends on whose wing chun you may have seen))

Boxers are taught to avoid strikes, parry, and block. How do we control distance in a fight when or opponet moves every time we enter?

((By learning how to move better)))

If we draw in a boxer, he will try to hook over our lead hand. A boxers hands can be very fast. How can I trap what I can not catch?

((Why try to catch? If you are good in wing chun- you attack. Wing chun has spread badly and unevenly))

((No links here. Travel to meet good teachers. No more digression on a mma forum

joy chaudhuri))

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ((No links here. Travel to meet good teachers. No more digression on a mma forum

joy chaudhuri))
    Joy is exactly right. I used to just look at video's and magazine articles to judge someone's WC abilities and system. Then I took a chance in 06', and travelled to LA to train with Gary Lam and Ernie Barrios, that trip changed everything for me. Take Joy's advice, travel to meet for real good teachers (if you need advice on who to train with I can give you some), that is the only way to really know how the system works and what's up with this or that instructor/practitioner.

The problem with this forum is that nothing is real, since all of us are miles away from one another, there's no personal interaction, so conjecture and speculation rule. Your fact is my theory and so forth, what you've done for real is not real for anyone else, unless you personally interact with someone to prove the point.

James
    Last edited by sihing; 03-29-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

joy chaudhuri))
    How does he know where to find good teachers? if all he can find on the net are cr*p videos and there are no good links being provided how is he meant to find them...

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    he could ask HW8 he seems to know where they all are.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

i do have to ask though, with all the experts on here and all the talk of videos, why doesn't someone just take the time and just show how wing chun handles a boxer's hook? i'll even do the editing and uploading! i'd like to see too
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Make sure you look at both vids...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    LO so true, i think this and the comments left on the actual videos speak volumes, try this with someone with a have decent hook (like this guy) and its good night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm-fqebZkVY&NR=1
    Last edited by Frost; 04-06-2010 at 02:35 AM.

The correct WC response to a hook is to flail helplessly while blocking the hook with your face.

It's not about trapping. Its about hitting and control. Stop thinking about your hands and move your feet. They close the distance, not your hands.

ok, beyond posting "fail" how about showing something better? even going to the effort of yourself having to knock out a wc guy with a hook would be good! at least it proves your point.

i have to say kudos to Victor for posting and, right there, he separates himself from the majority of wing chun guys who only talk about how to deal with hooks...

i watched both videos and i have a few questions/comments

1) it seems like the black dude isn't really throwing it with full force nor follow through

2) it seems that the WC guy is anticipating the moves right from the get-go..he even steps to the left, perhaps because he knows which hook is coming? what if he didn't? would he still step to the left?

3) we don't know how hard the WC guy is hitting the shoulders, so it's hard to say it it'll really stop it or perhaps it really is stopping the hook.

4) based on simply these clips, i personally do not think it would be enough to stop a full speed hook, with weight behind it, especially coming from a guy of that size (but again, see point 3 above).

as a WC (WT) guy myself, hooks are not easy to handle..in fact ridiculously difficult and incredibly dangerous. You got one chance, and either you get it or lights out. If there's a "1-2", it's already too late...you're eating a fist, no doubt. And that's only at the "drill -level"...if you take it out of that context and put it into a fighting scenario, it's a 1000x more dangerous..lots of speed, weight, commitment and adrenaline. I would not go after the shoulder, if i had the choice that is...

Victor - it would be awesome if you could post a video one day to clear this up..
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Why is it that so many people assume that hooks, well any punch, can be blocked, slipped or avoided a majority of the time? And what about the times they aren't blocked or avoided? Or what about the punch that is following the one you blocked?

Ali who was one of the best defensive boxers ever ate plenty of hooks and other punches.

If you are a striker I would think that training what to do to minimize the impact and recover and counter quickly would be a major part of your training.

If you are training to not get hit then you are going to be in for a rude awakening the first time someone lands a clean shot.