Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin at the Circus

Shaolin at the Circus

We've discussed this before, but it's nested in other threads. I now think it's worthy of its own show thread.

Theatre Review: Chinese State Circus, Darlington Civic Theatre
    2:43pm Thursday 25th March 2010

IF, like me, you’ve been putting off going back to the gym until after Easter, this will give you new determination. Or put you off altogether.

The youngsters in this show are so lithe, athletic and skilful that they almost seem like a different species.

They give us one jawdropping spectacle after another. The lion dancers, two to each lion like a pantomime cow, balancing on a giant red ball and moving it around.

That’s four people, two of them unable to see, walking a giant ball around.

Or the pretty girls atop 8ft-tall unicycles, throwing soup bowls at one another with their feet and catching them on the heads.

The performance is loosely based on the legend of Mulan, who became the only female general in the Chinese Emperor’s army. It features the enchanting performer who is named after the legend, and I’ve never seen such astonishing grace and suppleness. There were times when I couldn’t tell which way Mulan was facing as she smilingly went through a series of balletic contortions.

The Shaolin Wushu Warriors appear throughout the evening, accompanied by exciting drumming and dramatic lighting. World renowned for their speed and fighting skills, these guys can smash metal bars on their heads and have incredible muscular strength.

The featured warrior balances on pointed spear tips, once on his stomach and once on his throat, and I’m sure we all took to heart the advice at the start of the performance: “Don’t try this at home”.

■ Until Saturday. Box office 01325-486555
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

more on the Shaolin wushu warrriors

Actually, just more of the same.
    Chinese State Circus brings its latest production to the Big Top at Sefton Park
    Apr 1 2010 by Alan Weston, Liverpool Echo

Chinese State Circus brings its latest production to the Big Top at Sefton Park

THE WORLD premier of the brand new Chinese State Circus production comes to the Big Top at Sefton Park this week.

Acts never seen outside China will feature in the live action acrobatic spectacular, called Mulan.

Although the tales of how a peasant girl led an army to save her nation from invasion have spread over the world in poems, songs, books, and films, this is the first time they have been presented in the form of an international circus production.

It promises a dazzling display of precision acrobatics, circus skills, colourful characters from Peking Opera, physical theatre and drama choreographed to an original music score.

Among the stars of the show are the greatest exponents of martial arts, the Shaolin Wushu Warriors.

Performances start today and continue to April 11.

Tickets are available from Ticketmaster on 0844 576 5506.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Good comment about the title 'state circuses'

I would enjoy seeing that archer stunt. I've never seen archery trained at Shaolin, but I have seen traditional bow and arrow sets available at the weapons shops in the Shaolin area and always wondered if anyone was practicing that. They practice everything else it seems. This review isn't clear whether that was part of the 'violent beauty' or not.
    Chinese State Circus is a big hit with crowd
    Apr 7 2010 Liverpool Echo

I’VE always felt state circuses have been saddled with a name which sounds in their very essence like a dictionary definition of fun-free.

I can’t imagine ever wanting to listen to a record by a state band, or read a book by a state author.

Yet the state circuses are, by reputation, the best in the world. I say by reputation because I’d never been to one until yesterday afternoon. I’m not sure I’d even been to any kind of circus before. I entered the Sefton Park big top with no points of reference and little idea of what to expect.

I left three hours later completely blown away. It was dazzling, a visual spectacle par excellence and a stunning display of acrobatic power and precision.

Taking its narrative thread from the ancient story of Mulan, the female only child of a great warrior who becomes the first and last woman to fight in the emperor’s army, it splits itself up into different sections, each showing off a different facet of the circus performer’s art.

Sylph-like girls hold up male colleagues with their legs. Men bend long wooden poles by pushing down on their pointed dagger tips with their adam’s apples. Other sylph-types toss and catch plates and teapots on each other’s heads while unicycling in a circle. Men contort their bodies into shapes nature did not intend them to take. It is incredible.

It is just so elegant. Not just the obviously pretty stuff – the two bodies seemingly becoming one before parting, mid-flight, in ‘Sensual Silks’ – but also the performer who balances what looks like 20ft of wooden work bench on his forehead, the violent beauty of the Shaolin Warriors and the archer whose arrow blows out the flames from a candelabra balanced on a fellow performer’s head.

Every last performer on show is a credit to their craft. I don’t know how much they practise but I’d wager that each and every one of them puts in Olympic levels of training every day to keep their performances at the level I witnessed.

They’re on until Sunday, putting in an eye-watering two shows a day. Go see for yourself.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More circus Shaolin

Tuesday 28 September 2010
    Chinese State Circus
    Published on Tue Sep 28 14:44:51 BST 2010

THOSE who have never before contemplated attending a circus would be wise to think again.

The Chinese State Circus, which is performing throughout the region, delivers a show unlike many others under a big top with a wonderful mix of culture, breathtaking acrobatics and death defying stunts.

Based on the legend of Mulan, one of China’s greatest heroines, the show builds in a spectacular way telling how a peasant girl led an army to save her nation from invasion.

The Goole-Howden Courier has teamed up with the Chinese State Circus to offer 10 family tickets, each with a value of £108, to be used at any weekday performance in Doncaster this week.

Performances will take under the big top at Sandall Beat Playing Field on Leger Way, from Wednesday to Friday, 5 and 7.45pm, Saturday 3 and 7.45pm and Sunday 2 and 5pm.Doncaster.

Audiences are captivated and mesmerised by the breathtaking fusion of precision acrobatics, Shaolin martial arts, dazzling circus skills, colourful characters from Peking Opera, physical theatre and drama which are expertly choreographed to an original music score.

Although the tales of how a peasant girl led an army to save her nation from invasion have spread over the world in poems, songs, books, and films, this is their first incarnation in the all-action world of international circus.

The cream of the crop of Chinese acrobats perform gravity-defying gymnastics to the seemingly impossible body manipulations of the hand-balancer; from the leaping, rolling somersaulting repertoire of the hoop divers to the lavish tradition of the Lion Dance which has the audience clapping almost non-stop in awe.

Blink and you could miss the lightening reactions of martial arts experts the Shaolin Wushu Warriors who have trained at the Shaolin Temple.

The title role of Mulan is performed by martial arts expert, Cao Jing making her first appearance in the UK. Her 15 years of Kung Fu training are put to the test in a dramatic fight sequence in which she encounters a giant warrior.

Cao Jing started learning martial arts when she was only six years old and has won three championship titles.

Two of the most colourful characters in Chinese folklore, from the exclusive Peking Opera – the Monkey King and his zany companion, Pig – guide the audience through the adventure.

The Chinese State Circus - Mulan will move on to Lincoln’s South Common, St Catherine’s from October 6 to 10th before heading south. Ticketmaster 0844 576 5506 online: www.ticketmaster.co.uk

To be in with a chance of winning one of the family sets of tickets send answers to the following question to editorial@gooletoday.co.uk before 10am Thursday September 30. Please include name, address and daytime phone number.

I'm glad they say "Shaolin Wushu Warriors who have trained at the Shaolin Temple" instead of Shaolin monks. I also suspect that Cao Jing will become a PRC ex-pat as soon as she gets the chance.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Mulan

I'm just posting this because I like the photo.
    Enjoy a night at the circus

Chinese State Circus
    Published on Wed Feb 23 15:28:25 GMT 2011

THE Chinese State Circus will be performing their spectacular show at Derby’s Assembly Rooms on Sunday, February 27 and Monday, February 28, in the Great Hall.

The show is called Mulan and features the Shaolin Warriors.

Mulan is based on the legend of one of China’s greatest heroines. Although the tales have spread over the world in poems, songs, books and films, this is their first incarnation in the all-action world of international circus.

This is a chance to explore the inspiring heroic story of a strong-minded country girl, who joined the Emperor’s all-male army in place of her father. Through her warrior skills, she was promoted to the

rank of general, yet throughout her epic exploits, defeating all her enemies, no one was aware that she was a woman.

Witness a breathtaking fusion of precision acrobatics, Shaolin martial arts, dazzling circus skills, colourful characters from Peking Opera, physical theatre and drama choreographed to an original music score.

Tickets are £12 to £26, concessions are £14 to £24. For more information and to book tickets call the box office on 01332 255800.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If only my wife could do that.

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey

I'm hoping for more year of the Dragon celebrations beyond just Shaolin at the circus.
    Circus sisters behind 'Dragons,' debuting tonight in Tampa
    By Elisabeth Parker, Times Staff Writer
    In Print: Wednesday, January 4, 2012

They've scoured the globe for talent, plucking 20 Shaolin monks from China. They've sold popcorn, made snow cones and performed as clowns.

The sisters say sawdust runs through their veins.

Alana and Nicole Feld, 31 and 33, are producers of the Dragons edition of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. As usual, the sisters are in Tampa for the opening of the show, which traditionally debuts here.

It's a family business. The circus is part of the Feld Entertainment empire, which owns several other entertainment venues in addition to the "Greatest Show on Earth,'' now 142 years old.

The sisters will be watching closely tonight when the curtain opens on the two-year tour.

"We'll be watching the Tampa audience," said Nicole Feld. "If they don't laugh at the clowns, we change the clown act."

• • •

The Feld sisters, including 28-year-old Juliette, grew up in Maryland. When the circus came to town each year in April, their parents would bring in the clowns for Alana's birthday.

For her seventh birthday, the girls and their friends took elephant rides in the cul-de-sac.

"We've grown up with these elephants," Nicole said. "They're part of our family."

After college, the sisters tried out other careers — Nicole, photography, Alana, marketing — each seeking a separate identity.

It was then they felt the call back to the circus. It's not just a job, but a way of life, Alana said.

Their sister Juliette is director of strategic planning for Feld Entertainment. Their parents, Kenneth and Bonnie Feld, live on Harbour Island in Tampa.

Their father used to ask them, as children, what they liked best. He got them jobs running the photo booth and wearing clown costumes. With their experience working outside the business, they both say they've earned spots as producers. "You're not just here because you're the boss' daughter," Nicole said.

• • •

This year's show includes elephants with names familiar to the Felds: Nicole, Juliette and Bonnie. The animals were born on the Feld's Center for Elephant Conservation in Polk County.

Sisters Nicole and Alana live in downtown Tampa about 12 weeks of the year and say they often visit the elephants.

"It's always an extraordinary experience," Nicole said.

The sisters remember when Juliette the elephant was born in 1992, the first birth at the conservation. Since then, 22 more have come. About a third go on to perform in the circus. This year, that includes 17 performers. The remaining 44 stay to become part of the breeding program.

Each one has its own personality, Nicole said.

The elephant Nicole is known on the road for being a mentor to other elephants and a reliable performer, though she can be spacey, the human Nicole said. The elephant Alana stays at the conservation center, where she is known to mother other calves, the other Alana said.

As the elephants rehearsed at the Florida Fairgrounds for the upcoming show, staffers met with groups of young people, including high school students interested in farming.

Elephant trainer Joey Frisco III told them what his job takes: "A strong back and work ethic. And you have to love animals. It becomes your life."

•••

The circus has, at times, been faulted for its care of animals.

In November, Feld Entertainment agreed to pay $270,000 to settle civil charges brought by the U.S. Department of Agriculture that it violated federal animal welfare law. The penalty was the largest ever assessed against an exhibitor under the Animal Welfare Act.

Federal inspectors alleged that one elephant was made to perform when sick and another was not treated when lame. A gate had closed on a tiger's tail. Cages had sharp edges and fences were insecure, the USDA said.

Feld officials agreed to set up a training program for employees who work with animals, but admitted no wrongdoing.

"We agreed to pay that fine as a business decision," said Janice Aria, director of animal stewardship at the conservation, "rather than let it go on to a prolonged litigation."

Many of the citations were corrected on site, she said. Others, including the complaint that an ailing elephant performed, were contested. Elephants are herd animals and separating one during a performance causes extreme stress, Aria said. The elephant was assessed by the circus veterinarian and allowed to accompany the others without performing its usual routine.

She hopes never to see an end to the circus elephant.

"It may happen," she said. "It would be a huge loss to America. When I see the looks on faces when elephants perform, it's phenomenal. It's fireworks."

•••

The 142 performers will travel the country on the circus' mile-long train. Scouts visit circus schools and back yards to find fresh talent. They brought Alexander Lacey from Great Britain, along with his lion and tiger act. Other acts were created for the show, such as Ukrainian contortionists in plexiglass spheres.

Their challenge, the sisters say, is to repackage more than a century of circus tradition for today's kids. The Dragon show, named for the Chinese Year of the Dragon, was more than a year in the making.

When the public arrives, tailors will have finished gluing bling to costumes. Stage hands will have converted Segways into dragons. And the elephants will be cleaned with a leaf blower.

Many of the performers, the sisters say, are considered members of the Feld family. Legendary animal trainer Gunther Gebel-Willliams, who was with the circus from 1969 to 1990, was like an uncle, Nicole said.

She gave birth to a daughter three months ago, on his birthday.

"It seemed a nice tribute," said Nicole, who brought the baby to most of the rehearsals at the Florida State Fairgrounds.

Wide-eyed, little Piper squirmed to see the lights and hear the music.

"I think we have a real circus kid on our hands," Nicole said.

Elisabeth Parker can be reached at eparker@tampabay.com or (813) 226-3431.

If you go

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey presents Dragons today through Sunday at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, Tampa. Show times are 7:30 p.m. today, Thursday and Friday; 11:30 a.m., 3:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday; and 1 and 5 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $16-$85. Go to ringling.com or call toll-free 1-800-745-8740.

PETA to protest

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals plans a protest at noon today, in advance of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus' opening show at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have a direct view of the forum from my office, didnt see any protestors, but then who knows. They say this should be a good show though!

Cool Featherstone!

Are you going to go? The article above wasn't clear on if there were Shaolin 'monks' on this particular show. If you've got time on your lunch break, please find out for us.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yeah, the "Monks" are supposed to be there, they've been pushing it hard on the tv spots. I would like to go, however my daughters have a huge phobia of clowns so I if I am to make it, I'm going to have be creative with my time.

these so called monks belong in the circus.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Step right up, bawang

I was just posting on the Is Shaolin-Do for real? thread and thought I'd continue my comment here.

There's a longstanding connection of CMA with circus that goes back for dynasties. Lorge discusses CMA's ancient examples of CMA performance extensively in his shining new work, Chinese Martial Arts. Personally, I think this is where many modern CMA commentators get confused, especially under the mass-marketing shadow of MMA. They denigrate performance MA as not being 'real' because it's not for fighting, while in fact, performance MA has been a part of our tradition for centuries and has intrinsic value as an artistic expression. For an example, look how many kung fu movies there are. Now compare that to the body of JMA, KMA, TMA or even MMA movies. Combine all of the films ever produced featuring those other arts and they don't amount to as much celluloid as CMA has filmed in a decade.

Here's another example. Sifu Zhong Luo, a noted TCMA master and promoter of MMA in the SF with his Dragonhouse events, has roots in circus. See my cover story on him in our 2000 December issue: The Forbidden Fist of Bak Mei Kungfu.

NOTE: The Tampa show has no Shaolin Monks. It has "Shaolin Kung Fu Warriors."
    New theme, but same thrills as 'Greatest Show' hits Tampa

The 142nd edition of the "The Greatest Show on Earth" includes dancers and acrobats, aerialists and daredevil motorcyclists that have delighted audiences for decades.

By CLOE CABRERA | The Tampa Tribune
    Published: January 04, 2012
    Updated: January 04, 2012 - 10:10 AM

When audiences gasp at the eight motorcyclists ****zing around in a blur of motion inside a 16-foot wide sphere called the "Globe of Steel," Ariel Torres wants them to know one thing: That's the reaction he and his family strive for.

"We've been doing this a very long time," says Torres, 40, who leads the Torres family of motorcyclists. "Yes, it's dangerous when you have so many motorcycles; there is no room for mistakes. But we don't think about that. We're concentrating so we can do a good job and entertain the audience."

The Torres family is among some 142 performers thrilling spectators during the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, in town through Sunday at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

This year, the "The Greatest Show on Earth" unveils a new experience under the big top with a theme called "Dragons," which showcases the Chinese Year of the Dragon. In Chinese astrology, 2012 is the year of the dragon.

The circus' 142nd edition, lead by spirited ringmaster Johnathan Lee Iverson, features Shaolin Kung Fu warriors from China, Cossack riders, Asian elephants, lions and tigers, alongside dancers and acrobats, aerialists and clowns, which have delighted audiences for decades.

Melinda Hartline, spokesperson for the circus, says this year's show incorporates lots of dragon imagery and mystic dragon folklore. And audiences may even get a peak at one of the fire-breathing mystical creatures.

"One of the characters in the circus, Paulo, is one of the only people that can seize the dragon," says Hartline. "At the finale of the show, we see our mystical dragon."

The Torres' will add a new first to their show this year: the Tampa audience will see eight motorcycles in the globe, and for the first time a woman will join them. Carmen Torres is the lone female in the group.

The family began with six motorcyclists inside the cage. Now, eight family members will zig-zag inside the sphere at speeds up to 65 miles an hour.

"You really have to see it," adds Torres, speaking in Spanish. "All of the acts are spectacular and different than anything you've ever seen before. I love the (circus) atmosphere and the energy we get from the audience."

It's that electrifying atmosphere that makes the big top so popular with audiences, says Hartline.

"It's always something new and different," she says. "The Feld family always brings new talent from around the world that hasn't been seen anywhere. That's why it's the greatest show on earth."

Last month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture fined Feld Entertainment, the parent company of Ringling Bros., $270,000 for alleged mistreatment of animals, the largest in circus history.

Hartline wouldn't talk about the fine, but did say, "Our animals receive the finest care. They are healthy and robust, and the public can see that for themselves. That's why we enjoy an increase in attendance each year all over the market."

Ninety minutes before show time, circus-goers can attend a pre-show where they can go onto the arena floor and see the animals up close, meet the stars of "Dragon," take photos, ask questions and get autographs from the performers.

The 142nd annual Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus

Where: Tampa Bay Times Forum, 401 Channelside Drive, Tampa

Tickets: $16 to $85; 1-800-745-3000 or www.ringling.com or by calling
    You must really consider the circus
    'Cause it just might be your kind of zoo
    I can't think of a place that's more perfect
    For a person as perfect as you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Currently on both sides of the pond

Grand Central to Become Big Top With Ringling Bros. Circus
    February 21, 2012 7:22am | By Mary Johnson, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

As part of the one-ring circus in Grand Central Terminal on Feb. 28, 2012, the Shaolin Warriors will perform martial arts tricks and physics-defying feats of strength. (Feld Entertainment)

MANHATTAN — Commuter dodging won't be the only acrobatic feat performed at Grand Central this month — for the first time ever, the Greatest Show on Earth is bringing its high-flying, three-ring magic to the rail hub.

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey will present highlights from a new circus called "Dragons" inside Vanderbilt Hall Tuesday, Feb. 28 that will be free and open to the public. Because of space constraints, the show is being dubbed a 'one-ring' circus, instead of the traditional three.

Performances will begin bright and early at 7:30 a.m., with Ringmaster Johnathan Lee Iverson presiding over the festivities.

The Shaolin Warriors will perform physics-defying feats of strength and Kung Fu, twisting metal rods with their bare hands and breaking 6-foot-long wooden poles with the force of their own strength, organizers said.

They will even lift one another seven feet into the air, their bodies balanced on the tips of spears.

Clowns, a big-top standard, will bring their blend of parody and slapstick to Vanderbilt Hall, and funnymen wannabes will have a chance to vie for the role of a lifetime. Beginning at 11 a.m., the circus will host clown auditions for all those 18 years and older who have "an overactive funny bone and a heart the size of Texas!" a registration website for the auditions said.

"Previous professional clowning experience is not required," the website clarified. Those who are selected will join the Ringling Bros. troupe of clowns.

The circus has maintained an habitual springtime presence in the city for several years, with past performances in Manhattan precipitated by a parade of pachyderms through the Queens Midtown Tunnel straight through to Madison Square Garden.

The circus is bypassing the Garden this year, but the ‘one-ring’ show in Grand Central will kick off a series of larger circus performances of the new "Dragons" show around the Tri-State area.

For more information, visit the Ringling Bros. website.
    Places to go Things to do
    Published: 23/02/2012
    INVERNESS

Empire Theatre, Eden Court. Chinese State Circus – from the land of legends and Shaolin monks comes this incredible new production, the live acrobatic spectacular Yin Yang, 7.30pm, Sunday; 5pm and 8pm, Monday.
    Monks and clowns and elephants too. There's a great metaphor in here somewhere.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"The monk, the monk, the monk,
    He sat on the elephant's trunk.
    The elephant sneezed,
    and fell to his knees,
    and what became of the monk?!"

Shaolin Kung Fu Acrobats from China

Universoul Circus comes to Jacksonville
    Author: TJ Johnson, Entertainment Editor
    Published On: Feb 29 2012 08:47:01 PM EST

It is a big top thrill ride infused with an unparalleled global mix of music, dance and style.

You can see Universoul right here in Jacksonville through Sunday.

The 2012 production entitled “US” features Shaolin Kung Fu Acrobats from China, bone-breaking contortionists with hip-hop flair from Guinea, acrobatic comedy from South Africa, hip hop dancers from the United States and an all-male Russian Bar act from Cuba.

The show will be held at the Prime Osborn Convention Center.

Tickets are on sale at the box office or at www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling 1-800-745-3000. Tickets range from $15 to $28.50. Children under the age of 1 are free.

For a look at show times and schedules, go to www.universoulcircus.com.
    I glanced at the website but didn't see anything about the Shaolin Kung Fu Acrobats
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips