We've discussed this before, but it's nested in other threads. I now think it's worthy of its own show thread.

Theatre Review: Chinese State Circus, Darlington Civic Theatre
2:43pm Thursday 25th March 2010

IF, like me, you’ve been putting off going back to the gym until after Easter, this will give you new determination. Or put you off altogether.

The youngsters in this show are so lithe, athletic and skilful that they almost seem like a different species.

They give us one jawdropping spectacle after another. The lion dancers, two to each lion like a pantomime cow, balancing on a giant red ball and moving it around.

That’s four people, two of them unable to see, walking a giant ball around.

Or the pretty girls atop 8ft-tall unicycles, throwing soup bowls at one another with their feet and catching them on the heads.

The performance is loosely based on the legend of Mulan, who became the only female general in the Chinese Emperor’s army. It features the enchanting performer who is named after the legend, and I’ve never seen such astonishing grace and suppleness. There were times when I couldn’t tell which way Mulan was facing as she smilingly went through a series of balletic contortions.

The Shaolin Wushu Warriors appear throughout the evening, accompanied by exciting drumming and dramatic lighting. World renowned for their speed and fighting skills, these guys can smash metal bars on their heads and have incredible muscular strength.

The featured warrior balances on pointed spear tips, once on his stomach and once on his throat, and I’m sure we all took to heart the advice at the start of the performance: “Don’t try this at home”.

■ Until Saturday. Box office 01325-486555