Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General vs. Specific Training and the Fat White Dude Syndrome

General vs. Specific Training and the Fat White Dude Syndrome

It occurred to me riding home on the subway today that "the fat white dude syndrome" in martial arts is related to a problem in the emphasis in training. What I mean is that they are training specific skills (eg eye pokes, throat strikes, etc) to the exclusion of a more general fitness program (ie cardio, stamina, flexibility, tone, etc).

Then someone comes along that is more generally fit, but has less training and cleans their clock...come on, it's happened to us all.

Which leads naturally to the next question: As a martial pracitioner, how much time should you devote to general vs. specific training? What kind of general training would you include?

My guess is that general conditioning/training should form the bulk of any martial artist's schedule (eg running, lifting, body weight exercises, etc.) and more specific training of techniques and skills would be the minority.

I'm curious how people approach this subject, especially as martial arts can vary widely in how they define "general fitness" or "general conditioning."

EO

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I always gauge that overall fitness should come at the top and martial second. If you can't even perform the techniques because you are out of shape then why bother. Cardio and stamina should come before hand in my book.

"the fat white dude syndrome" in martial arts is related to a problem in the emphasis in training. What I mean is that they are training specific skills (eg eye pokes, throat strikes, etc) to the exclusion of a more general fitness program (ie cardio, stamina, flexibility, tone, etc).
    this reminds me of a certain someone on the board here. lol of course i've never met said person but i can only picture him being this way.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

if your goal is to lose weight

1. general physical activity: jogging, swimming, running etc

2. for me, singing and dancing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kdtqs-JjUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7pmwqDLxU0

growing up seeing my older cousins singing and dancing

I sang and danced, too

For MA functions:

3. each style has specific exercise to warm up or relaxation

the ones that I do everyday are from tong bei and some tai chi.

4. overall fitness and health as pointed out is most important

5. certain type of CMA drills if not done correctly and gradually, actually they are harmful to your body and health

---

everything is done step by step or in stages or progressively

no instant results for both health maintenance and MA skills achievements.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgts...eature=related

when I was a little boy in the 60s.

I thought the song is about running

do run run run do run run--

later I knew it is not.

I used to run a lot--

with a pair of good shoes, we may all run to burn the calorie and stay fit--

---

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    It occurred to me...
    Well Eric, you must be a Swede.

I've put most of my form practice on the back burner to develop strength and flexibility... weights, yoga, and stair climber cardio.
    Why, injuries from lack of flexibility and lack of strength had a part in that.

I've seen ultra flexible fellow students take stiff senior students to the mat... that was an eye opener.

That’s the great thing about the combat sports; you train technique and fitness at the same time

But health should always be your number one reason for training, a healthy heart, good immune system and healthy joints must always be your reason for training and your training split should reflect this

Personally i do between 5 and 7 hours MMA/grapping training as week. 1 ½ to 2 hours strength training and around 2 hours cardio training (this does not take into account the daily walks with my dog, helping friends train etc)

The adipose are not restricted from learning martial arts and frankly, physical fitness of a high degree is not required to turn someones lights out and fitness doesn't translate out as martial ability or skill either.

I've seen obese people clock young healthy and strong guys with ease.
    I've seen fat guys press fit guys against a wall and smash their lights out.

If you get all caught up in what you look like, then go do bodybuilding or something.

You should be as fit as your ability requires you to be when it comes to martial arts.

If you are into competitive mma, then you will not do well if you are not keeping your fitness up.

If you are learning how to cut someone with a machete, I don't see the point of how fitness is going to make you better at that. lol

don't get me wrong, I support being fit and healthy and good diet and all that, but I have also been exposed to enough now that I know that martial arts skill and ability frequently has nothing to do with an ideal of fitness that is given to us by the Tony Hortons of the world.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Just like general skill begets specific skill, general fitness begets specific fitness and general training begets specific training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

eh i just do what i do and thats what i do

lol

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    eh i just do what i do and thats what i do

lol
    in my opinion you have the correct attitude.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Then someone comes along that is more generally fit, but has less training and cleans their clock...come on, it's happened to us all. EO
    www.livestrong.com is a good website where you can track training, diet, meds. I just rejoined, have to start tracking again...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Well, it hasn't happened to us all either.

It may have happened to some of us, but not all.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i can't take any "masters" seriously that have a fat gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappadonna View Post
    i can't take any "masters" seriously that have a fat gut.
    Your loss.

Carlson Gracie jr:
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    The adipose are not restricted from learning martial arts and frankly, physical fitness of a high degree is not required to turn someones lights out and fitness doesn't translate out as martial ability or skill either.

I've seen obese people clock young healthy and strong guys with ease.
    I've seen fat guys press fit guys against a wall and smash their lights out.

If you get all caught up in what you look like, then go do bodybuilding or something.

You should be as fit as your ability requires you to be when it comes to martial arts.

If you are into competitive mma, then you will not do well if you are not keeping your fitness up.

If you are learning how to cut someone with a machete, I don't see the point of how fitness is going to make you better at that. lol

don't get me wrong, I support being fit and healthy and good diet and all that, but I have also been exposed to enough now that I know that martial arts skill and ability frequently has nothing to do with an ideal of fitness that is given to us by the Tony Hortons of the world.
    Well, I had to look up adipose and Tony Horton.

Maybe, fitness and health, here, should be further defined.

Wang Shu Jin