Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trademark????

6hmantis Guest

Trademark????

I was told that you can put a trademark on a martial art style? If this is true, then someone could trademark say Wing Chun. Then anyone cought useing the Wing Chun name could be sued for unfair compitition.

8stepsifu Guest

No way Jose!

No you can't, Ignore anybody that says they have a copywrite and take a chance. Teach using whatever name you see fit and sell anything you want using whatever name. Its a free country. You can call yourself a Wing Chun sifu and open up a school. Go for it!

P.S. Thanx for the Mountain!

8Step Sifu

Kagerou Guest

What about the 8-step videos?

I,m still waiting for some more information on the 8-step videos.I want your adress some time this year. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Kagerou

6hmantis Guest
    Then how can james sun put a trademark on 8 step praying mantis? I don't understand, all the people in the world who teach 8 step has to ask him permission? Please let me know

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Didn't you guys here about the whole Leung Ting thing with Wing Chun / Ving Tsun?

With all the squabbling after Yip Man's death, Leung Ting was sort of "kicked out" of Wing Chun. So he modified his style a little bit, and changed the name of his style. It is still pronounced pretty much the same way, and written with almost the exact same characters. I think he has a copyright on the name.

Another good example is Kook Sul Won in Korea. The way I understand it, a few hapkido masters got together and formed their own trademarked martiat arts organization, and called it Kook Sul Won. They could have had a few goals with this, quality control on who teaches and what is taught, and good business sense. Apparently, there have been a few outside people who tried to use the name Kook Sul Won, and they were immediately taken care of by Kook Sul Won's lawyers

8stepsifu Guest

Yes

Anyone that claims to be an 8 Step Sifu can teach it and advertise the 8 Step name, but by doing so they risk a huge law suit. As 4th Generation Inheritor, the system of 8 Step belongs to him. It's his to do with as he decides. He can choose to never teach anyone or to add capoiera to the system. Just as Master Feng Hua Yi added Shuai Chaio and Eagle claw, Master Sun can do with it as he sees fit. He has chosen to give it all to a large group of men and women. To do this he needs to standardize the system and have requirements. Hanging out in the park with Master Wei doesn't cut it. Many of Master Wei's public students got prety good, they can teach the kung fu that they learned, but they can't call it 8 Step. Wei Hsioa Tang only had two Disciples and Master Sun was chosen to inherit the system. I guess some of the public students are calling themselves Masters and they can do that, but they are not Masters under the 8 Step Tradition. They may have a good handle on what they where taught, but they by no means know what 8 Step Praying Mantis means. I can't say any more than that. The secrets of the System are just that. Try selling a cola drink with a pepsi label and see how far you get. Now sell the same drink and call it "Koala Cola Drink" and your in the clear. That way if "Koala Cola Drink" tastes like crap, people won't equate it with Pepsi. If you have any doubts I encourage you to open an 8 Step Praying Mantis School and see what happens.

8Step Sifu

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 10-13-00 at 09:14 PM.]

6hmantis Guest
    I see what your saying. I looked up James sun trademark on the internet and its for 8 step preying mantis not praying mantis? IM kinda confused I guess he dosn't have a trademark for 8 step praying mantis? Do you have any idea?

molum_jr Guest

Aaaahhh...Hell with the trademark...

Who is going to start buying up all the combination mantis.com URL addresses?! Is the gold up in thar hills with this?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sifu Sun make a distinction with: Shyun Eight Step...? If he had claim over "8-Step...", then how the 8StepSifu or 8StepStudent handles?

A question...is Sifu Sun permantly relocating down to So. California?

It ain't a devious plan by other 8-steppers, but them stinking lawyers...

8stepsifu Guest

none

Yes Master Sun is in L.A. right now. 6HMantis: If you want to open an 8 Step school then go for it. Call it 8 Step Praying Mantis or 8 Step Preying Mantis. If that is how the copywrite is, then you are free to do so.

"Pepsea, the choice of a new Generation!"

P.S. Thanx for the Mountain!

8Step Sifu

6hmantis Guest
    Hey 8 steppers. You got us HA HA HA . I guess will just have to put our tail between our legs and lick our nuts for awhile. Oh by the way, I have the information I need to register my own trademark. I think i'll call it Shyun Praying Mantis. I'll market it all over the world. I'll rape the horses and ride off on the woman i And ride off into the "sun" set I'LL BE RICH!!!. Our first technique is Dragon eats Washington. LUV YA [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

8StepStudent Guest

That's Nice...

That's all nice and everything, but you're the one who started it, so it's your own fault. By the way... What about the tapes?

8stepsifu Guest

What?

I think you need psyciatric help. Why don't you rip off Brazillian Ju Jitsu instead? Call it 6 Harmony Gracie Ju Jitsu.

BTW...? Who is "We'll" "Us" and "our?" You mean you're someone's puppet? I am supprised [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Must be all the "Great 8 Step Masters" that are everywhere. If you people want to lick your nuts, thats your business, contact Paulie Zink for flexebility info. And leave the horses alone.....you sick *******!

Luv Ya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 10-14-00 at 09:02 PM.]

Ziggy Guest
    There's lots of us who took the pepsi challange and didn't choose pepsi! It left a bad taste in our mouths. The taste I imagine is kinda like the way your master's ass smells [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Hunh?-8stepsifu

Personally, we prefer the Koala cola...It tastes much better and don't cost as much!

Kagerou Guest

Smelling Ass?

I bet your teacher's ass smells like roses then? Only you would know Zippy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Kagerou

8stepsifu Guest

Come out come out wherever you are...

Why do you losers hide behind "New Member" status. You cant spout off about your generic mix and mach incomplete kung fu and claim to be experts in 500 styles, but you still don't know ****. YOu salad tossers should shut up and get a life. Why don't you go find a legitimate Sifu that you haven't burned a bridge with and actually try to learn Kung Fu rather than defame those of us that actually practice kung fu.
    Luv Ya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

8Step Sifu