Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American National Treasures

people like Yeung Fook and his student David Harris

people who would still be national treasures if they were still in China

those that stand head and shoulders above the rest

AL Nowak - wasnt he the guy that Bruce Lee refused to fight with? used to a marine and is now sadly wheelchair bound? i saw an excellent article about him in a magazine a few months back.

what about the guy that fought a recently arrived sifu from the mainland who had declared that he could beat any american gung fu practitoner? got knocked out within 10 seconds.

i suppose if you talk about any other arts then Rickson has to be included too.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Adam Hsu
    I am a big admirer of Adam Hsu,
    but I do not think he counts, he is born and raised in Asia,
    has spent most of his life there and finally did return to Taiwan.
    His US adventure was too short to consider him american…

Of course he could be Taiwanese National Treasure

No Ali?

No Bruce Lee? (edit nm he got a half mention above)

No Wing Lam?

No Chuck Norris? (also a half mention lol)

Wtf people?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

tsk tsk
    Asking about AMERICAN treasures and most of you are putting up lists of people born, raised and trained in China
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    bill "superfoot" wallace....
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Some more U.S.-born, non-CMA:

Danny Inosanto.

Robert Trias.

Raymond Fogg, 7 star praying mantis, student of Chui Chuen Luen. Founded the U.S. Kung Fu Exchange which is an association of related 7 star schools across the country, with schools in Texas, California, New York, Louisiana, and Florida. Many of the schools are run by direct students of Raymond fogg. He has also written two books on 7 star mantis; The Seven Star Mantis Book: Soft Principles, and The Seven Star Book: Twelve Keywords of Attack and Defense

Also

Carl Albright his kung fu brother under Chui Chuen Luen.
    http://mantiscave.110mb.com/albright.htm
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Inosanto for sure.
    Peter urban
    Robert Trias.
    Peter Hymas
    Donn Draeger
    Urquidez
    Norris
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by San Soo Sifu View Post
    Dan Gable won the Gold Medal in Freestyle Wrestling at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany; while not giving up a single point. He was the head coach at the University of Iowa where he won 15 NCAA team titles from 1976–1998.
    Dan Gable ftw!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Here we see Dan Gable using the technique of "extreme frottage" to help another man who is ailing from male pattern baldness.

surely, this man is a king!

Kung Fu is good for you.

What makes any of these people qualify as a national treasure? A national treasure is something that is relished by everyone, not just a silly bunch of people that are obsessed with martial arts.
    A real national treasure in the form of a person would be someone like John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, not some dingle f@rt like that no acting Bruce Lee. A national treasure stands the test of time, not like some boxer that lasts a couple of years as champ.

but even john wayne or clint eastwood wouldnt work by those standards. how many people under 30 in america give a **** about either?
    Last edited by Lucas; 03-29-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    What makes any of these people qualify as a national treasure? A national treasure is something that is relished by everyone, not just a silly bunch of people that are obsessed with martial arts.
    A real national treasure in the form of a person would be someone like John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, not some dingle f@rt like that no acting Bruce Lee. A national treasure stands the test of time, not like some boxer that lasts a couple of years as champ.
    right, so why are chinese martial artists called national treasures then? I mean, they did start the whole idea of martial artists being national treasures. lol

what makes any of them qualify?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    CHUCK NORRIS. Holy hell...wtf is wrong with you guys?

chuck?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Because it's obvious the original poster meant "national treasures" relating to martial artists, not necessarily Hollywood celebrities. And not everyone idolizes or even cares about John Wayne. Plus, I would guess that many if not all of the above-named individuals have had more direct positive influence in the lives of more people than some movie star.