Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: World Tai Chi and Qigong Day

I only got 19 hits on "world tai chi day" on Google News

Almost all are just small local newspapers or college papers.

There's about 50 hits for "world tai chi qigong day". That made an event listing in the NYT:
    ELEVENTH ANNUAL WORLD TAI CHI-QIGONG DAY Saturday, beginning at 10 a.m., demonstrations of this ancient Chinese form of exercise, along with martial arts displays. Central Park, East Meadow, north of 97th Street, west of Fifth Avenue , classicalyangtaichi.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Boise Idaho had 51 players in a park in front of the Capitol building.

Just fyi...

Excellent!

Gigi tells me that the S.F. event was a huge success. Of course, the fact that it was a gorgeous weekend in S.F. surely helped with the Union Square demo.

Here's a few international highlights off the newssfeeds:

In New Zealand
    Hundreds give exercises a go
    By MARYANNE TWENTYMAN - Waikato Times
    Last updated 13:00 26/04/2010

More than 200 people showed off their moves at Hamilton's Melville Park on Saturday for World Tai Chi and Qigong Day.

Instructor Shelley Leong said tai chi was a martial arts-based exercise and qigong was a static energy exercise.

"Both forms are becoming more fashionable in New Zealand and it was great to see so many people participating on Saturday and seeing what forms of exercise were available," Ms Leong said.

Tai chi is used by ACC as a fall prevention exercise for people over 65 "but people of all ages take part in tai chi and get a lot of benefit from the exercise".

Ms Leong said both disciplines helped with balance, removed stress and prepared for sport and dancing.
    In Brazil (reported by China)
    Brazil celebrates World Tai Chi Day
    English.news.cn 2010-04-25 09:27:26
    by Natalia Costa

BRASILIA, April 24 (Xinhua) -- Brazil's capital celebrated Saturday the World Tai Chi and Qigong Day for the 80th time, counting on the presence of the date's founders, Bill Douglas and his wife Angela Wong Douglas.

"We have known the Brazilians for several years, because they send photos, videos and news coverage of their events. But this is the first time we have met all face to face and it is being a very beautiful experience," said Bill in an interview to Xinhua during the event.

The 80th year of Tai Chi Day celebration in Brasilia presented very different scenery to the first event, when only about 30 people attended the activities at the Square of Universal Harmony. This time, organizers estimate that about a thousand people have participated in the party.

China-born Moo Shong Woo, known to his pupils and admirers as Master Woo, has introduced Tai Chi practice in Brasilia 36 years ago. He arrive in Brazil in 1961 and lives in the country's capital since 1968.

About 150 people of all ages attend daily Tai Chi classes given by him and his pupils, who became teachers themselves. Throughout these years classes are free and are held outdoors at the Square of Universal Harmony, which was declared an intangible cultural heritage of Brasilia in 2007.

"Brazilians have a very beautiful way of practicing Tai Chi and Qigong. That is one of the things about Tai Chi and Qigong, everybody does the same forms, which came all from China, but everybody has their own cultural flavor that they add to Tai Chi and Qigong and it is really a beautiful thing," noted Bill Douglas.

The Tai Chi enthusiast supports that this Chinese practice should be taught to children at schools, since there are studies proving that Tai Chi is highly beneficial to those who suffer from Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

"An increasing number of children suffer from ADHD in the United States and they are given drugs that completely suppress their creativity," he warned.

Douglas himself started practicing Tai Chi 30 years ago because he faced serious problems due to an increasingly common ill of contemporary world: stress. So, he accepted a friend's suggestion and enrolled in Tai Chi classes.

"In the whole world, the population is growing, people are changing jobs faster, changing careers faster, everything is quickening. I want to share these tools because Tai Chi and Qigong, these incredible gifts from China, are right now most needed by the whole world," he explains.

"If the world embraced Tai Chi and Qigong, it would save trillions of dollars spent every year with health care costs," adds Douglas.

The World Tai Chi and Qigong Day is celebrated on the last Saturday of April and is part of World Health Organization's calendar as one of the "healthy events" linked to the World Health Day.

About 70 countries and regions celebrated the World Tai Chi and Qigong Day on Saturday. According to Bill Douglas, the date was celebrated for the first time in Havana, Cuba, and in Alexandria, Egypt.

In Brasilia, besides the presentations of Tai Chi and Qigong movements shown by teachers and students, a Lion Dance in northern style performed by the Chinese Culture Center's group was a much applauded attraction.

This group, directed by Chinese Wang Hsiao Po, is composed of ten members. Curiously, most of them are Brazilians that have no Chinese origin.

As one of China's traditional martial arts, Tai Chi includes fist, sword, broadsword, spear and push-hand skills. Especially the push-hand is known for its demanding tactics and technique, allowing a powerful and aggressive opponent to be defeated by a flick of the wrist or abrupt explosive power.
    Editor: Yang Lina
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I went to the one in central park in nyc. I was expecting a bigger turn out and at least some vendors but there where none. It was a great great day met some people I have not seen in years. Did push hands with a few guys..
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

the energy level must be high

since every one is doing tai chi around the same time all over the globe

1. people, heaven and earth

tian di ren 3 harmonies or san he

peace and harmony among your internal organs, among people and the environment

---

I meant every day is a tai chi day for me

i consider the 3 harmonies every day.

Thanks for this, dcrjradmonish

I just merged a few stray old World Tai Chi day threads into this one. Now, coincidentally, this thread starts in 2005 when it was on the same date apparently.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

World Tai Chi & Qigong Day Celebrated in Israel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLsmJQuCToY

Cool its spreading all.

Kind Regards,
    Xian

San Francisco

I must add World Congress on Qigong and TCM in San Francisco as that is a World Tai Chi Qigong day-related event.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries

World Tai Chi Day 4/28...in your area?

WTCD is almost upon us.

Anybody wanna come and throw down? ............... Or be civil, POT Luck BBQ your Arse off and at least touch hands alittle?

I'll be a sponsor school for this event in Eastern Connecticut:
    10:00 AM Sat., Apr 28th
    Colchester Town Green (obviously in Colchester)

More info: http://www.connecticuttaichi.us/

Best, "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

I'm going to play the Beijing 24 every time I hear the word "radishes" on that day.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This Saturday - what are you doing in honor this year?

I'm going to be calling DJ and saying 'radishes, radishes, radishes'.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm gonna go down to my local park with my tai chi ruler and straighten those hippies out...

oh, and "radishes"

I went to a rock concert instead

However, our intrepid publisher, Gigi Oh, made the local rounds. I just posted a album of her photos on our facebook page.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips