Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
I don't want to come off as if no one can become competent by learning WC via seminar or distance learning. However, it is an uphill battle.

I am not completely sure, but it is my understanding that WC permeated North America via seminar and distance learning during the 70's and 80's. Is there any truth to that and has it affected the quality of WC if it did?
I personally couldn't comment on how Wing Chun migrated into Canada but I've always thought of Seminar training as a top-up exercise that is very useful to students who have already grasped the basics and I guess the same can be said for distance learning. I'm also of the opinion the basics of Wing Chun do need a disciplined approach to training, which should be closely monitored by your Sifu, over a continued length of time.

I feel very lucky to have had some quality time with my Sifu before branching out and our relationship is still growing. I guess the question is 'how long is long enough' to get the basics down? And this may all depend on your own talent and weekly training schedule.

From my coaching experience, it took almost two years, two hours per week to create a good basic standard in some dedicated students! At other times I've seen students get it in less than six months with three 2hr sessions a week. Only then would I have recommended attending seminars, but it's only my view.