Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aikido

Aikido

Okay, first off I started a new thread because after a search I found all Aikido threads were just controversary threads and titles.

So i just took my first Aikido class. Lots of fun. I was able to work application right away after learning some footwork. One of the things I noticed was how similar the style was to my experience with Taiji, in some of the application we did.

Unfortunately I dont remember the name of the style of Aikido it is, I'll make sure and get notes later. But what I was told was that its a sport style of Aikido. The way the sport is played is one person has a rubber knife, and the other person has to defend. Points are awarded on both sides then they switch and the other guy gets the knife. Which sounds pretty fun, and a great outlet to later practice your Aikido in a resistant fashion against a deadly weapon.

Anyway, I think I'll be practicing this for a while.

I know a few of you here have to have studied Aikido, what were your experiences?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Is it Tomiki-ryu?

Sounds like Tomiki like Scott said.
    Never experienced that, I did some Yoshinkan, but it wasn't my bag of goodies, though I did take some stuff from it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

yes, it's Tomiki - which always looks a lot "messier" than the other sub-systems...hmmm, wonder why?

Honestly I'm not sure. I should see the teacher today so I'll make sure and ask. From what I was told the guy who developed this style of aikido spent 5 or so years in prison and formulated the close quarters foot work there, or adapted it, im not really sure.. Also it seems providing emphasis on knife attacks. I need to memorize the names of the techniques. i like the connection to kenjutsu.

I got really lucky though because the classes are out of a local gym, who banks with me so i know the gym owner. basically for 30 bucks a month i get to train the aikido and use all the gym facilities. pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

he also teaches this style of warrior yoga. i forget the indian name but it translates to warrior. developed by those guys who were killing the japanese in ww2 with knives. i forget that too. there are 4 lvls beginning with sticks, then rope, then two person, then solo.

ya i forget a lot but it was my first day. i'll get it all down.

at least i already know how to fall. that helped a lot.
    Last edited by Lucas; 03-31-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

he also teaches this style of warrior yoga. i forget the indian name but it translates to warrior. developed by those guys who were killing the japanese in ww2 with knives. i forget that too. there are 4 lvls beginning with sticks, then rope, then two person, then solo.

ya of course i forget the name. it starts with a D.... its some burmese yoga...i was shown photos of many of the stretches along with the founder of the system and its 'higher ranking' practitioners.

the teacher has a huge emphasis on achieving your bodies maximum potential in sport related activities, and maximizing your recovery time from injury, and maintaining health. which i think is great for me where im at in my life.

here is the instructor.
    http://www.drtoddturnbull.com/Bio/Bio.html

Learning tai chi definitely helped me when I dabbled in aikido & hapkido. When it came to learning the joint locks, most beginners and even quite a few intermediate students seem to think its all in the arms. Strength should come from the legs; at least that's what I find works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    yes, it's Tomiki - which always looks a lot "messier" than the other sub-systems...hmmm, wonder why?
    i have to say what i experience isnt like what you see on average from aikido in demonstrations and such. it felt more 'real' than what ive visually experienced from youtube and such. i was able to choose a technique for the class to work with, Gedan something or other. actually a pretty brutal technique. the variation we worked was a sweeping throw.

ok i was confused about its origination with its devistation and revival periods...

the yoga is:

Dhanda Yoga

i was confused with this:

Around 1935, Ba Than Gyi, who later became the director of Health and Physical Education, and Sports and Athletics in the Ministry of Education in Burma, became one of the many disciples of Anant Krishna Vaidya. Some of Vaidyas’s yoga exercises and training methods for sports and athletics were incorporated into the curriculum for physical education programs.

During World War II Burma was devastated. Many pre-war programs were phased out including the teaching of Anant Krishna Vaidya. Only a handful of people in Burma continued to practice and teach exercises and drills taught by Vaidya.

After World War II, Ba Than Gyi established the Bando Meditation Center in December 1945 in the city of Maymo in northern Burma. Ba Than Gyi also attempted to integrate some of the teachings of Anant Krishna Vaidya and the ancient pyu monk’s system, which were still practiced by a handful of Brahmin clans in remote towns such as Homalin, Halin,Tamu, Kalamyo, and Amarapura. With his dedicated staff members, he succeeded in organizing, classifying, and categorizing various yoga postures, exercises and drills. Ba Than Gyi’s son Dr. Maung Gyi "pictured below" later brought these systems as well as other systems to America

Nine Dhanda Yoga forms were formulated by the leaders of the National Bando Association from 1948-1950. Form is defined as a prearranged sequential set of yoga postures which flow from one posture to another. Each posture is designed to stretch, strengthen, condition, and tone the muscles and joints. These postures also massage and stimulate the internal organs and allow proper circulation of prana and oxygenation of the body.
    Last edited by Lucas; 04-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.

The yoga seems cool, Buremese Bando is a bad ass MA, very brutal from what I recall, though they prefer to attack the legs first, then the body and finally the head, sort of a progression of pain type of thing.

Gedan something or other. actually a pretty brutal technique. the variation we worked was a sweeping throw.
    Gedan means, typcially, low or lower or low section...was it a leg sweep or an arm sweep?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The yoga seems cool, Buremese Bando is a bad ass MA, very brutal from what I recall, though they prefer to attack the legs first, then the body and finally the head, sort of a progression of pain type of thing.

Gedan means, typcially, low or lower or low section...was it a leg sweep or an arm sweep?
    ya it was a hip/thigh sweep assisted by the arm . i wish i knew the name ill find out tonight. basically you move to the outside, break their stance by stepping behind and locking your hip lower than theirs and sweeping them over your thigh with your arm to their chest. depending on execution it can result in a nice slam, which can be followed to side mount quickly.

this one really reminded me of my taiji experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    ya it was a hip/thigh sweep assisted by the arm . i wish i knew the name ill find out tonight. basically you move to the outside, break their stance by stepping behind and locking your hip lower than theirs and sweeping them over your thigh with your arm to their chest. depending on execution it can result in a nice slam, which can be followed to side mount quickly.

this one really reminded me of my taiji experiences.
    Sounds like one of the breath throw attacks...
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 04-01-2010 at 11:37 AM.

was a lot of fun. several different sized people from 5 ft to 6.5 ft. so having a nice low horse stance sure came in handy there.

I did Iwama Ha Aikido in Iwate Ken when I lived in NE Japan.

Always had fun sticking a chicken fist into people before locking and on and throwing them.

Iwama Ha is a little harder than some of the other softer subsects.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.