Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aikido

"Tomiki Sensei died an 8th Dan in Judo, as well as an 8th Dan in Aikikai. He had been in his lifetime a student of both Ueshiba Sensei, the founder of Aikido, as well as of Kano Sensei, the founder of Judo."

"Tomiki Sensei's first borrowing from Judo was the idea of a compact, logically developed curricula. Compared to traditional Aikido styles, relatively few techniques are practiced in Tomiki Aikido. Whereas other styles attempt to guide students to the true principle of a given basic technique by showing them dozens upon dozens of variations, Tomiki Sensei thought it better to repeat and practice a few techniques many times, looking to work each day upon improving speed, timing, and kuzushi."

"Tomiki Sensei's second major borrowing from Judo, and one which has unfortunately been misunderstood, was randori and shiai. Randori is sparring practice against someone who is resisting."

found this cool site on Tomiki Aikido

Competition Rules

Have any of you guys competed in any of these comps before?
    Last edited by Lucas; 04-09-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    "Tomiki Sensei died an 8th Dan in Judo, as well as an 8th Dan in Aikikai. He had been in his lifetime a student of both Ueshiba Sensei, the founder of Aikido, as well as of Kano Sensei, the founder of Judo."

"Tomiki Sensei's first borrowing from Judo was the idea of a compact, logically developed curricula. Compared to traditional Aikido styles, relatively few techniques are practiced in Tomiki Aikido. Whereas other styles attempt to guide students to the true principle of a given basic technique by showing them dozens upon dozens of variations, Tomiki Sensei thought it better to repeat and practice a few techniques many times, looking to work each day upon improving speed, timing, and kuzushi."

"Tomiki Sensei's second major borrowing from Judo, and one which has unfortunately been misunderstood, was randori and shiai. Randori is sparring practice against someone who is resisting."

found this cool site on Tomiki Aikido

Competition Rules

Have any of you guys competed in any of these comps before?
    My time in Aikido was Yoshinkan and while it was fun and I picked up some stuff, it wasn't competitive.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

im hoping i can find some vids this weekend on some competitions. i'd like to see how its played out.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    im hoping i can find some vids this weekend on some competitions. i'd like to see how its played out.
    Youtube has a bunch of them I think

saawweeeett!

Lucas,
    Looks like you are really going to enjoy your training.

I competed several times during my stay in Japan. Fun times! I think it takes longer to become competition-ready than other arts, but the attention to distance and timing will certainly prove valuable to your overall martial ability. If you have any questions about competition, fire away!

Like Sanjuro Ronin said, there are bunch of vids on youtube. I don't have access to youtube so I can't give specific links, but they are there.

I liked your insights into the connections between Aikido and Taiji. I wouldn't worry about your Taiji friend complaining about your moving away from Chinese arts. If you practice both Judo and Aikido, you are actually practicing the majority of the skills also found in Chinese arts. Just wear some silk pajamas on the weekend to remember your roots.

I do Hung Gar and wanted to do Aki Jujutsu as my 2nd style.
    It is partly becos' I read too many mangas like Baki II and Shamo
    They guy in Baki II:

I went to my local Daito Ryu Dojo 12 months ago to check it out.

I was going to sit and watch but the instructor said you won't know what happen unless you try it yourself.
    He ask me if I know how to break fall. I shown him what I know.
    He shown me few different things and asked me to punch him in the head.
    I punched to the space next to his head, not very fast.
    He sorta redirected the attack and said, now, punch with full speed and power.
    I punched, again, to the space next to his head, faster.
    Next thing I know, I was on the mat and has pins-and-needles all over my body, especially on my arms.

My doctor said I have damaged some nerves. It became bearable after few sleepless nights and heavy painkillers.
    Few months later I felt something on my glute and legs so I went back to my doctor. After a XRAY, C/T Scan, MRI and many appointment with doctor and neurosurgeon, they said one of my disc is pinching on my spinal cord. I finally had a surgery last month. To replace a disc on my neck. I can't do MA and weight for at least 6 months.

I am still interested to learn more about aiki jujutsu or Yoshinkan Akido but I don't feel comfortable with being thrown anymore.

Wow, I am sorry you had such a poor experience. it appears that instructor was trying to impress you, but over did it.

I have also taken Aiki-jujutsu. It is much harder than Aikido with a much greater chance for injury as well.

It could have been a fluke accident or inappropriate actions from a poor instructor.

Yoshinkan is harder than the Home style of Aikido. It used to be the art Tokyo Police were trained in. I don't know if this still happens. I like it very much. It is closer to Aiki-jujutsu.

High falls are done regularly in Yoshinkan and Aiki-jujutsu. You may need to take a gentler form of Aikido. It is all about the quality of the instructor though.

My Aikido instructor tries to avoid high falls because students will last longer due to the avoidance of serious injuries. Most of the techniques can be performed without the necessity of high falls.

Hi Scott,

I picked Daito Ryu cos I heard they are hardcore. And it is real hardcore to my neck

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    Hi Scott,

I picked Daito Ryu cos I heard they are hardcore. And it is real hardcore to my neck
    Hi blackjesus,

That it is....very hardcore.

One of the reasons I quit was because it is so hardcore one is likely to kill their attacker accidentally, or severely injure them by dislocating their joints. Many of the throws do land the opponent on their head!

Here in California that will get you arrested and jailed, even if you were attacked.

We are only allowed to hurt bad guys to the level they tried to hurt us! Breaking necks is frowned upon!

He probably dropped you hard because you didn't try to punch him for real.

Regardless.....it sure looks like irresponsible behavior and one that invites a lawsuit! It would be a little bit different if he were a regular student. Injuring a guest, even if it is an accident, is irresponsible and dangerous to your school!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Regardless.....it sure looks like irresponsible behavior and one that invites a lawsuit! It would be a little bit different if he were a regular student. Injuring a guest, even if it is an accident, is irresponsible and dangerous to your school!
    One wonders what goes though people's minds when they do stuff like that.
    Of course if I wore a dress I'd be throwing people on their heads too.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One wonders what goes though people's minds when they do stuff like that.
    Of course if I wore a dress I'd be throwing people on their heads too.
    Ahhhhh Yessssss........of course........a clear case of over-compensation!!!

Imagine if WWE is real.

In other news, I'm still working on the case with my lawyer.