Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tai Chi Gala

The Tai Chi Gala

Brothers and sisters,

I wanted to get this out to you all as there is a new Kung Fu event that is going to be held in Albany, NY next early summer.

The Tai Chi Gala: http://www.taichigala.com/index.html

For more information click on the link.

I will be teaching there as well as my teacher Dr. John Painter.

This is a brand new event.

Lets get together and celebrate Kung fu!!
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas
    Shizi, Jiulong Baguazhang Instructor
    Master Level Dit Da Jow Manufacturer
    New England School of Acupuncture Master's Program

Boston Baguazhang

Combat Iron Palm Iron Vest Training

Boston Baguazhang on Youtube
    IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

info@bostonbaguazhang.com

That's an amusing photo of me and Jenn

What am I doing? Braiding Jenn's hair? Wtf does that have to do with tai chi?

Unfortunately, I can't attend this year. I've let Loretta know. It's too close to our own tournament, TCKFMCII, June 12, 2010.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Taichigala

Dear Folks,

Just a little news - If you were planning on going for the June 4-6 weekend at Tai Chi Gala, the super deep 20% off discount ENDS in 3 Days - DECEMBER 25!

www.TaiChiGala.com

Reg. $199, but this email special gets it to you for $159.

I hope I can also ask you to kindly spread the word about the Tai Chi Gala and Dr. Painter's long tradition of the Gathering of the Baguazhang Circle that takes place afterwards. You see, if you help us spread the word, I can keep the costs as low as possible for YOU since I won't have to spend it all on expensive advertising and marketing. I'd rather pass the discounts to you, but it will ONLY work if YOU HELP. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

ALSO: I managed to get your room and board costs very very low, with EXTRA lowered prices for the Bagua Circle June 7-11.

Get all the info at: www.TaiChiGala.com

And no, you don't have to become a member or anything like that. And the registration is NOW easiest it's ever been in years. I really like all of you - the internal arts community - and I want to continue to do the best possible for you. So... ENJOY!!! :-)

Hope to see you in June at the Tai Chi Gala and/or Dr. Painter's Gathering of the Baguazhang Circle.

Take care and have a GREAT day!

-Loretta Wollering
    www.TaiChiGala.com
    Be well, train hard

Dale Dugas
    Shizi, Jiulong Baguazhang Instructor
    Master Level Dit Da Jow Manufacturer
    New England School of Acupuncture Master's Program

Boston Baguazhang

Combat Iron Palm Iron Vest Training

Boston Baguazhang on Youtube
    IKFF Forum

CDIA Supplies
    PO Box 35
    Quincy, MA
    02171-0001

617-595-8097

info@bostonbaguazhang.com

The Tai Chi Gala 2010

brothers and sisters,

I will be presenting a selction of workshops at the Tai Chi Gala 2010 which is hosted by Loretta Wollering, who was the last lineage student of Master Jou Tsung Hwa.

The Tai Chi Gala will be held in Albany, NY.

Come out and support Chinese Martial Arts!!

I will be teaching these workshops at the Tai Chi Gala:

Iron Palm Power Standing Power -- w/ Shifu Dale Dugas
    Shifu Dugas is known for his iron palm & iron body skill, as well as for his potent “dit da jow” iron palm liniment. But many people don’t know the right ways to go about training for iron palm/iron body power or how to use the special herbal medicines and qigong that go along with the practice. Other people are mistaken that this is a practice only reserved for martial arts combat practitioners. Truth is, that iron palm/iron body methods are also phenomenal for bringing endurance and vigor to one’s health, and that massage therapists or other body workers can make their hands, body and energy much stronger, thus greatly improving their healing practice. Come see how the rarely seen qigong methods of iron palm can be added to anything you practice. Learn how this can develop your internal connection, strength, speed and endurance.

How to Make and Use Your Own Dit Da Jow Liniment -- w/ Shifu Dale Dugas

Many Chinese herbalists, bodywork healers and iron palm practitioners recognize Shifu Dugas’ dit da jow products as being the best and most potent available, both in the US as well as across the globe! This is because Dugas hand-selects all the herbal ingredients and bases his recipes on years of study and secret formulas from this branch of Chinese medicine. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to make one of the secrets of Chinese medicine that helps heal injuries and condition the body. Shifu Dugas will share one such highly guarded formula. He’ll dissect it and explain how you can make it even stronger. If you wish, he will have these rare supplies available for your purchase so that you too, can make your own potent bottle of dit da jow for martial or healing use.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Come say hello!

The week after the Tai Chi Gala sees the Jiulong Baguazhang Association hosting its annual Gathering of the Circle weeklong training camp.

Jihaoma Qigong and Earth Palm will be presented in an intense weeklong camp.

Last edited by Dale Dugas; 03-31-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

From the site:

"Welcome! Join Us!
    Tai Chi Gala: June 4-6, 2010
    Gathering of the Baguazhang Circle with Dr. John Painter: June 7-11, 2010

"The Tai Chi Gala: An Internal Arts Convention in Memory of Jou Tsung Hwa and Zhang San Feng"

Held at: The Best Western Albany Airport Inn; Albany, NY

This event is named after the original founder of the event, Tai Chi Master Jou Tsung Hwa, and for the legendary founder of the art of tai chi chuan from ancient China, Great Grandmaster Zhang San Feng.

Whether you are completely new to tai chi and the Chinese healing or martial arts, or if you are very experienced, you will find amazing, fun and practical information to enrich your life. Come alone and make new friends, or bring a bunch of friends and celebrate.

It's so easy to relax and enjoy - once you are registered, you can take any and all the workshops you want, whenever you want!"

Gathering of the Circle 2010

Gathering of the Circle 2010

The Annual Jiulong Baguazhang Gathering of the Circle with Dr. John Painter

This week-long post-convention workshop follows the Tai Chi Gala. Led by one of the most famous teachers of baguazhang (pa kua chang), Dr. John Painter. This powerful Chinese internal art is known for its sophisticated spiraling martial applications. Grab a cup of tea, relax, and read below what incredible treasures are in store for you...

"AN AMAZING PROGRAM FOR THE GATHERING OF THE CIRCLE 2010"

MORNING QIGONG TRAINING: JI-HAOMA QIGONG
    After the success of our 2009 program featuring qigong, bagua palm raining and instructors workshops, we've decided to continue this theme into the 2010 Gathering.

Morning Training will be devoted to Quiet Sitting Meditation and the powerful Ji-Haoma Qigong ("Lucky Number Direction" in English). This is an art of personal feng shui for mind and body that allows you to draw the most powerful earth and sky energy. Ji Haoma Feng Shui helps us order our lives to live in harmony with nature’s laws.

This art is a method designed by the Li family of Sichuan Province, China, to tap into what the Chinese call "Dragon Veins" (magnetic energy of the earth) for the absorption of qi energy. Students learn how to orient in a direction of personal power for meditation and standing qigong and special circle walking holding postures designed to harmonize the body with the electromagnetic energy of the earth and the natural energy from the sun and moonlight that affects hormonal and chemical balance. Some of this knowledge is based on common sense and on ancient philosophy found in Daoism and the Yijing (I-Ching) as well as the Chinese lunar and solar calendars.

This method is a section of the late Master Li, Ching Yuen’s practice of qigong known as "Long Wudao Qigong" (Dragon Dancing Vital Energy Skill) from his personal baguazhang tradition. The complete Dragon Dancing art was passed down to the Li family of Sichuan province China where it came to be know as "Ba Gua Wu Xian" (8 Trigram Dances of the Immortals). The art was in turn passed from Master Li, Long-dao to Dr. John Painter. The Ji-Haoma program will be presented complete with you, the student, receiving your personally customized feng shui directions and baguazhang qigong postures for heightened internal healing and longevity energy.

AFTERNOON TRAINING: THE POWERS OF EARTH PALM
    We will delve into a study of the spiraling palm, "Luoxuan Zhang," AKA the "Earth Palm." Like a mother who controls things with gentle power, earth energy rotates rapidly yet is stable like a spinning top. Earth energy is a spiraling energy used in the same way an arrow or bullet spinning in flight stabilizes itself. This spiraling energy (jin) can suck an outside force into its center or deflect an advancing energy from its rapidly turning surface. It can be offensive or defensive, making use of projections, throws and strikes that occur so quickly and softly that an attacker has no time to mount a defense.

Luoxuan Zhang is the way of the true gentle warrior. To become skilled in Jiulong Earth Palm we must study balance points, methods of attack and deflection, and we must come to understand the diverse ways in which the body can react, avoid, spin, flow and move. We must know our own weaknesses and formulate an invincible defense to protect them. Through this knowledge we come to know not only our enemy but also ourselves! This program is open to beginners through advanced students and new students are also welcome.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTORS TRAINING
    Shifu Robert Castaldo, Jiulong Baguazhang instructor trainer of "The Gompa" in Arlington Texas, will present an instructors training program for new and established Jiulong teachers. This program will cover a wide array of in-depth methods for learning Jiulong Baguazhang basics, and curriculum & instructional methods used by our top Jiulong Baguazhang teachers. You should be enrolled in our teachers training program or be an established instructor of JBGZ to attend this program.

During the second half of the afternoon all students and instructors will join Dr. Painter's class working on the Earth Palm applications.

All instructors, students and beginners interested in Jiulong Baguazhang are invited to attend this special 5-day program sponsored by The Gompa and Alpha State Events.

The Early Bird price is only $399 for this entire week-long event! Register now to guarantee your space

FYI The "Tai Chi Gala" started out as Master Jou's "Zhang San Feng Festival"

"Zhang San Feng" (also spelled: Chang, San-Feng) is the legendary founder of the art of taijiquan (tai chi chuan) in old China. His birthday is often celebrated by tai chi enthusiasts in China and abroad with various "Zhang San Feng Festivals." In America, the Zhang San Feng Festival was founded by best-selling author and tai chi grandmaster teacher, Jou Tsung Hwa. Master Jou held America's largest Zhang San Feng Festival at his school and retreat center, "Tai Chi Farm" (Warwick, NY) from the mid-1980's to 1998. Master Jou's purpose in hosting the Zhang San Feng Festival was so that people could share knowledge, skills, opinions and wisdom about the art of tai chi chuan and its related practices. The environment was one of camaraderie and positive energy. People of all different abilities, ages, interests and backgrounds gathered peacefully at this awe-inspiring event.

During the 1990's, the Zhang San Feng Festival was directed and managed by his apprenticed student, Loretta M. Wollering. In that time she helped grow the Zhang San Feng Festival from 200 attendees to over 500, until Master Jou's fatal car accident in 1998. She resurrected the Zhang San Feng Festival and ran it with her then-spouse until their split in 2009. People had suggested that Wollering change the name of the event to differentiate it from other Zhang San Feng Festivals held by other tai chi groups, as well as to change the title to: 1) something easier for Westerners to spell and pronounce, and 2) to include a byline that was more inclusive to all internal arts practitioners as well as giving due credit to Master Jou and Great Grandmaster, Zhang San Feng. Thus, the name of the event was changed to: "Tai Chi Gala - An Internal Arts Convention in Memory of Jou Tsung Hwa and Zhang San Feng." This event, "Tai Chi Gala" is under the production and supervision of Loretta M. Wollering.

Through the decades, the event hosted a sampling of some of the biggest and brightest professionals in the Chinese Internal Arts, such as (listed in random order): Dr. John Painter, Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, Master Wang Ren Gang, Master Tina Zhang, Master Wm. C.C. Chen, Sf. William C. Phillips, Master Henry Look, Master Jianye Jiang, Dr. Gary Torres, Master Ren Guangyi, Master Tchoung Ta Tchen, Sf. Pat Rice, Dr. Yang Yang, Master B.P. Chan, Master T. K. Shih, Master Fong Ha, Sf. Katy Cheng (daughter of Cheng Man Ching), Gene Ching of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, Marvin Smalheiser of Tai Chi Magazine, Sf. Pedro Cepero-Yee and "Yee's Hung Ga" award-winning Lion Dance Troupe, and many, many more...

At this convention there truly are treasures for EVERYONE to discover. From seasoned martial arts experts looking to finesse their skills with rare knowledge and techniques, to people searching for seminars that go deep ino the spiritual and meditative side of the ancient Chinese arts, to people looking for healing and energy development in workshops related to qigong (energy work) and the secrets of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Some workshops are very active in nature, and others are very leisurely. Above all, the presenters at this convention are highly experienced - having taught very large groups and often having authored books and videos - and at the same time, they are very friendly - ensuring a respectful environment where everyone feels welcome and motivated. And there's a great vendors' area as well!

Some people come alone to this convention, and leave brimming with smiles, incredible knowledge, new friends and the memories of a lifetime. Others come along with a large group of friends with whom they can relax, discuss, and practice their newly learned skills. You can learn more in these few days than you would in years, and you will meet more fascinating, like-minded individuals in this one place than anywhere else. Come and soak up the positive energy - we're looking forward to meeting you!

Be sure to read the Presenter Bios and Gala Workshops Info!

I thank the people who contacted me about the gathering.

Looking forward to having another incredible weeklong training camp!

Thanks for those of you who contacted me about my workshops and others offered at the Tai Chi Gala.

It is going to be great as this is a new venue for the memory of Master Jou Tsung Hua.

This is going to be the inaugural year for the festival which started as the Tai Chi Farm with Master Jou Tsung Hwa.

His student Loretta Wollering is hosting a new and improved festival in which workshops on various arts will be offered as well as hosting the annual gathering of the circle.

For anyone interested in attending visit http://www.taichigala.com/index.html

I thank you.

Hey everyone,

Im off to Albany for the Tai Chi Gala.

I have my kilt, tons of dit da jow, some most excellent Got Qi? 3 xl shirts from our fearless leader, Gene Ching.

I will be be reporting for Gene at this event. I will be writing up a little article on what happens.

If you are in the Albany area come visit and say hello, and get your photo taken with the Big Bald Skirt Wearing KFO Member.

Be well,

Dale

Man, I'd love to take the dit da jow one. No way I'll be able to make it to Albany at that time, though.

Give my regards to everyone Dale

Thanks for repping us. I'd do it myself, but I'm busy with our own event - TCKFMCII is next weekend!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Already done Brother.

Everyone sends their best to you and the upcoming Tournament!

Be well!

Tai Chi Gala 2011

Unfortunately I couldn't attend this year again, as it was the same date as Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship III. Nevertheless, we'll have a report in our upcoming Sep/Oct issue, also by Violet Li.
    Massachusetts Lawmakers Honor Tai Chi Gala
    June 12, 2011 6:39 pm ET
    Violet Li

Saturday June 2, Master Donald Wang, a State Representative of Massachusetts, represented the State House of Representatives and presented two proclamations to Shifu Loretta Wollering. One proclamation is recognizing the contribution of Grandmaster Jou Tsung Hwa who created the "Zhang San Feng Festival" and the other is for Shifu Loretta Wollering for her effort to maintain Grandmaster Jous’ legacy and host Tai Chi Gala in promoting ancient martial arts and healing power.

Grandmaster Jou founded the Zhang San Feng Festival in America in the 1970's to honor the Tai Chi legend Daoist Zhang San Feng and to promote Tai Chi and other internal martial arts. In the 80’s, he moved it to the Tai Chi Farm of Warwick NY, which has 103 acres with fields, forests, cabins, building, etc. At its height, the Festival grew to about 500 people with attendees from the U.S., Canada, Europe and other countries. Grandmaster Jou passed away in a car accident in 1998. As a close disciple of Grandmaster Jou, Shifu Wollering renamed the event “The Tai Chi Gala: An Internal Arts Convention in Memory of Jou Tsung Hwa & Zhang San Feng,” to appropriately give Grandmaster Jou the recognition.This year the Tai Chi Gala was held in Albany, New York with a great success on 6/3 – 6/5. Masters Sharif Bey, Robert Castaldo, Richard Clear, Dale Dugas, John Green, Jianye Jiang, Angel Chan, Ken Lo, Yuzhi Lu, Dr. John Painter, David Ritchie, Ren-Gang Wang, and Loretta Wolleringhosted 26 different workshops with a wide spectrum of topics on Tai Chi, Qigong, Meditation, Bagua, massage, and self-healing. Dr. John Painter gave a memorable opening speech which he shared many anecdotes and fun memories of Grandmaster Jou with the attendees. His goal is to pass Grandmaster Jou’s philosophy to everyone that practicing Tai Chi is a 24x7 act. Dr. Painter emphasized the importance of good posture (including sleeping posture), good deeds (martial arts ethics), and good thoughts.

Shifu Loretta stated that the Tai Chi Gala joins all Chinese Internal Arts (Tai Chi, Bagua, Xing Yi, etc.) teachers, students and enthusiasts in a spirit of sharing and fun. Everyone’s lineage and styles are welcome. It was a warm feeling to see many masters attending other’s workshops when they were not teaching. It is even more amazing to witness that masters pushed hands with each other without thinking about winning or losing. They were playing and learning from each other with no concern of being judged by the students. The atmosphere was totally carefree and everyone was eager to learn and share. Actually, many of the Gala attendees are instructors themselves. They felt great to exchange their knowledge with the masters and with their fellow participants.
    Advertisement

The Gala offered rare opportunities to learn some techniques that have nearly been lost over time. Shifu Green shared the Yang Style San Shou form. With guidance from Master Wang, attendees tested Da Cheng Quan’s principles and had a little taste of the mental power. Shifu Bey illustrated how small and grand circulations are done in the Hung Ga system to de-mystify the misconception that Hung Ga is only an external martial art style. Shifu Dugas shared a profound method of Daoist circles in Qigong and self-defense, which is called Lian Huan Wan (Continuous Circles). Dr. Painter provided Yi Xing Gong (intent, heart, and skill) from the Li Family to help practitioners focus on their intention and heart to gain the most internal force. Master Lo explained how Wu Mai Pai uses the lower Dan Tian energy (yin) to elicit the middle Dan Tian energy (yang) to help people with small body frame/mass to overcome a stronger and bigger opponent. Shifu Dugas shared the secrete Iron Palm training methods.

Besides learning martial art skills in Push Hands, saber, self-defense, attendees also gained knowledge in self-healing. Shifu Wollering shared techniques that help people with digestive problems and knee pain. Master Yuzhi Lu’s self-massage and self-healing methods are great for travelers, commuters, desk workers, or bed-ridden individuals. Shifu David Ritchie taught Tai Chi Qigong 18 Form, which is proven to have multitude of health benefits. Dr. Painter explained Five Circles Qigong and its applications. Shifu Angel Lo taught a simple Wu Mei health routine as a holistic system specially designed for women. Master Jiang taught Chinese Yoga, which he created by combining elements of Tai Chi, Qigong, Daoyin stretching, balancing, and mind/body/spirit connection. Master Painter’s Red Bat palm exercise is great for tranquility, balance, and overall health.

Master Lo generously shared his precious collection of prized teas during the Gala. He talked about how to appreciate the quality of various teas and shared his poems reflecting his tea drinking experience. A good tea is like internal martial arts and has layers of distinct qualities, subtle but rich. Only connoisseurs can understand its value. Since the teas are hard to get, there was a limited seating in the tea tasting session. It was interesting to see 20 people sitting around quietly sipping and sniffing teas, exchanging their thoughts about tea, internal arts, and life in general.

Shifu Wollering explained about the two types of Daoism in China. One was created by Lao Zhi more than 2500 years ago and it is a philosophy which Tai Chi and other internal martial arts are based on. The other one is a religion that was inspired by Lao Zhi’s Daoism. According to Shifu Wollering, the Daoism temples in China are very accommodating and inclusive. They welcome and respect all religions, and many even display crucifixes and the Star of David. In the Gala closing ceremony, a simple yet sincere Daoist ritual was performed to show appreciation to Zhang San Feng, Grandmaster Jou, past Tai Chi masters, heaven, earth, family, and friends. It brought peace and harmony to everyone when the little Daoist bells rang.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2014

I am delighted and honored to be attending the Tai Chi Gala this year. I'm even presenting there again. Since it's inception, it has been held too close to our KungFuMagazine.com Championships at Tiger Claw Elite. But this year, we moved Tiger Claw Elite forward to May 17, so I am free to go. Arrangements have been made with Loretta already. I'm very much looking forward to seeing old friends there; many of the attendees I haven't seen since 2010.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips