Thread: Why do you train wing chun?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by kungfublow View Post
    I've been reading this forum for a couple of years. I rarely post as I am pretty young in wing chun and I never feel like I have much to add. Especially when you have guys like Phil, Victor and Joy that are really saying more then I ever could.
    Yes, there is a lot of "knowledge" being dispensed. Too bad it is mostly nonsense.

What does amaze me is how a forum full of Wing chun people can be so full of wing chun bashing. I mean theads about chi sao and other techniques are basically all trashing the very back bone of wing chun IMO. I get it we need to train realistically. I don't think there is person on the board that can't get behind that.
    The trouble is that you say that -- and so do many others -- but you're not doing it. Nor do you understand the "principle" behind realistic training: that you develop any skill only by doing that skill (under the same conditions).

What I'm asking here is if you see so many issues with wing chun and it's practices then why train it at all? Guys llike T train wing chun but then bash it every chance they get. Why?
    I don't bash WCK -- I bash all the bullsh1t associated with it. More than 90% of what you hear on this forum is absolute nonsense, it is bullsh1t.

If it isn't working for you and the ideas and techniques simply do not work then why the heck are you training it.
    That'a a very good question. Now apply that to yourself. You say your WCK is working, right? OK, go visit a MMA school or a MT school or a boxing gym and spar -- see how well your WCK works. Are you able to do what you train to do as you train to do it?

If you won't do that, ask yourself why not.

Let me start off by answering this question myself. I train wing chun because I feel it is the best fit for me. I enjoy it's simplicity. Well that was at frist until I realized after a year or two how deep the system really was. Now I enjoy that depth. To me it's simple direct and effective. But that's my experience and it would appear that not everyone has that same point of view. That and the second I saw chi sao on youtube I was sold. It just looked like fun. Way more fun then all those kick boxing classes I was taking when I was a kid. I'm not trying to be a warrior or a MMA guy or anything of the sort. I spar because I want to know what I'm learning will work. So far the sparring has shown me that as long as I don't mess up it does work. But again this is my experience and everyone has their own.
    If you enjoy something then by all means keep doing it. Some people love aikido. Some love Scottish dance. Others, like me and the republicans, like watching faux lesbian sex! It's all good.

But when people start talking about using their WCK in fighting, how to effectively train, etc. then it goes beyond mere enjoyment. Results now matter.

So why do you train wing chun? What attracted you to it originally? What keeps you coming back week after week to train?
    I like WCK because of its focus on contact/attached fighting.
    Last edited by t_niehoff; 03-31-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Yes, there is a lot of "knowledge" being dispensed. Too bad it is mostly nonsense.

The trouble is that you say that -- and so do many others -- but you're not doing it. Nor do you understand the "principle" behind realistic training: that you develop any skill only by doing that skill (under the same conditions).

I don't bash WCK -- I bash all the bullsh1t associated with it. More than 90% of what you hear on this forum is absolute nonsense, it is bullsh1t.

That'a a very good question. Now apply that to yourself. You say your WCK is working, right? OK, go visit a MMA school or a MT school or a boxing gym and spar -- see how well your WCK works. Are you able to do what you train to do as you train to do it?

If you won't do that, ask yourself why not.

If you aren't doing that then you aren't really training to fight.

If you enjoy something then by all means keep doing it. Some people love aikido. Some love Scottish dance. Others, like me and the republicans, like watching faux lesbian sex! It's all good.

But when people start talking about using their WCK in fighting, how to effectively train, etc. then it goes beyond mere enjoyment. Results now matter.

I like WCK because of its focus on contact/attached fighting.
    Hold on a second. Let me get this straight because that's a pretty bold assumption. How do you know I"m not doing realistic training and I don't understand it the principles behind this? What you are saying is pretty easy to understand. I have been training for only 4 years. After about a year or so I began hard sparring with people. Not only from my class but outside of it as well. I've been to MMA gyms to spar. I have friends who are trained as well that I spar with. I also on a regular basis get into hard sparring with weapons. So don't make assumptions based on no knowledge about me and what I do in my training.

With regards to me going to a MMA gym. Already done! And yes I have found things that simply don't work. However I also reconize that some of that is due to my own limitations and lack of skill. I have no ground game as I have never studied it. I get very lost and beaten pretty quick when I hit the mat. But IMO wing chun does not prepare you that well for such a situation. But standing toe to toe I do pretty well. I wouldn't have done pretty well 4 years ago so to me my training is working.

Of course results matter. That's pretty easy to say. Without results we have no real gauge to see whether what we are learning is effective or not. But to say that the majority of the art is crap is a pretty bold statement. I'm no rocket scientist but the very fact that the art has been around this long proves to me that there is value there. The question is can you make it work for you. I guess your answer is no. My answer is yes.
    Last edited by kungfublow; 04-01-2010 at 06:31 AM.