Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standing Meditation

Standing Meditation

Does any one have some experiance with Standing Meditations, and what is the big difference when you sit.

I have tried it one time, after i read an article that some people invest 1/3 of there training to standing meditations, but one time isnt that whole lot, so here`s my question

Eugene

relaxing the spine

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Does any one have some experiance with Standing Meditations, and what is the big difference when you sit.

I have tried it one time, after i read an article that some people invest 1/3 of there training to standing meditations, but one time isnt that whole lot, so here`s my question

Eugene
    Hey Eugene;

There's an excellent article in Gene's latest issue on standing post. It has an outstanding description of relaxing the spine with a drawing of the spine in large scale.

Relaxing in general really gets a taiji session going, and relaxing the spine is the best. We do standing meditation in every class before beginning to practice taiji sets. Very committed taiji folks do spend up to a third of their time in standing meditation.
    .... Skip

Eugene
    Here the only i can say about :

Standing and sitting is not different. The point is the both of it is try to focus in our awareness.

some people focus on their standing on walking or only in mingmen (taiji practioner) or anyelse.

important thing is we try to train our awareness.

when you do sitting meditation, our focus is breathing itself (not count on it, not to control,etc) we only focus on awareness of breathing. BUT, we are not breath itself. The Breath are the breath. We only focus or aware on that.

maybe from my opnion i like to start from sit method.

why? because it's quite difficult if you only want to focus to the breath without having branches mind / Tought.

Hi Skip J,

I have to get that article from Gene and read it.

Relaxing the spine sounds really helpfull before a session from what you say.

i have toyed with empty post standing... just like post standing while holding an energy ball, only the hands are oppositely offset with the feet - left foot out, right hand drawn alittle closer to the chest and right foot back, with the left hand held out abit further away from the chest. yin and yang. when you really find the flow in this stance you will begin to seemingly "flicker" with the movements of your swaying upwards because of the energy, much like the flame of a fire. you can also do this while standing in the wind - get your body relaxed enough to allow it to be affected by the air currents... much like becoming a tree standing in the breeze.

Eugene
    In order to stand still, the body has to do many many internal movements to hold th the posture. This builds strength from the inside out.
    Standing mediation is very important for conditioning the body to have more inner strength.
    That's one benefit.

Another is that once you have this strength, energy can move around un-impeded, allowing for more healing energy.

Also, it is good for self control and discipline to stand.

Sitting has its own benefits, but they are different from standing's.
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

thx charlyws for the reply and uki,

awereness training is very good, maybe the most difficult also to do.

@uki, where I live always is a lot of wind, that seems like a good practice, on a pole in the wind, that is some good advice.

What do you mean with * toyed with empty post standing * my english needs to get better..

you are welcome eugene..

it's not difficult nor easy

thx charlyws for the reply and uki,

awereness training is very good, maybe the most difficult also to do.

@uki, where I live always is a lot of wind, that seems like a good practice, on a pole in the wind, that is some good advice.

What do you mean with * toyed with empty post standing * my english needs to get better..
    1, it is an absolute no no to practice any internal art in a windy place. Not meditation of any kind.

The ancient chinese internal art cultivator said Wind is similar to Arrow which penetrate bone. one can get seriously sick expose to the wind while meditate.

2, There are differences between standing, sitting, laying down meditation. Each has different purpose. So one needs a coaching from those who really know.

3, Awareness has different level, if one knows the process it is not that complicate to get start. again one needs a coach without getting into trouble. one must not use a generic label to label awareness.

If you dont have a coach then the best thing is doing silence prayer.

4, Dont toy around what you dont have clear instruction and dont know where it leads you toward.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-03-2010 at 07:12 PM.

As usual don't listen to a thing Hendrik says:

1) It is okay to meditate in the wind. The ancients didn't recommend it because they didn't have efficient means to stay warm and to get sick in those days could mean death. Remember life expectancy was only about 35 due to illness and other dangers, so naturally they would discourage any activity that had the chance of endangering your health.

In today's world we know much more about health and we have modern medicines to protect us from death.

It is wise to exercise caution when meditating in inclimate weather. There are people who have frozen to death thinking it cute to meditate in very cold weather. So you still have to be smart as with any other activity in inclimate weather, but it will challenge your concentration. Just exercise caution in order not to over do it.

2) There is no mental difference between standing, sitting, laying down meditation and this is WIDELY taught by Ch'an masters of China and Japan!

It is all the same state of mind being developed. There are different kinds of meditation meant to develop different results, however what position you are in is immaterial in the long run!

3)
    Meditation is a harmless activity. While a coach may be of benefit there is no danger to anyone who has a modicum of normal psychological maturity to practice on their own. It those of unbalanced mind and maturity that experience some forms of psychosis from meditation.

It is best to ignore MOST of what Hendrik says!

1) It is okay to meditate in the wind. The ancients didn't recommend it because they didn't have efficient means to stay warm and to get sick in those days could mean death. Remember life expectancy was only about 35 due to illness and other dangers, so naturally they would discourage any activity that had the chance of endangering your health.

In today's world we know much more about health and we have modern medicines to protect us from death.

It is wise to exercise caution when meditating in inclimate weather. There are people who have frozen to death thinking it cute to meditate in very cold weather. So you still have to be smart as with any other activity in inclimate weather, but it will challenge your concentration. Just exercise caution in order not to over do it.

Will you take responsible if anything goes wrong after taking your advise?
    You are clueless what wind can do to a meditator or internal art cultivator.

Can you heal him if the Wind get into his bone and required Bone Marrow Washing Kung to heal him?

]There is no mental difference between standing, sitting, laying down meditation and this is WIDELY taught by Ch'an masters of China and Japan!

It is all the same state of mind being developed. There are different kinds of meditation meant to develop different results, however what position you are in is immaterial in the long run!

You are totally ignorance and keep posting like an expert.

How do you deal with Qi flow or Tze Fa gung when it was triggle at standing meditation?
    You are out of your mind. To give advise on anything you dont not have indepth training.

3)[/B] Meditation is a harmless activity. While a coach may be of benefit there is no danger to anyone who has a modicum of normal psychological maturity to practice on their own. It those of unbalanced mind and maturity that experience some forms of psychosis from meditation.

Again, if you dont speak other wont think you are ignorance.

It is best to ignore MOST of what Hendrik says!

I post here because I dont like to see people screwed.

If one get into Pien Cha and Qi Zi Woon Luan which means the Qi or and shen got screw up, that needs real pro in Qigong or Shen gong to straight it up. It is not something to toy around.

Sure, free world everyone could do what they want. However, I have done my part as human being to share what I have experienced.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-03-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Will you take responsible if anything goes wrong after taking your advise?
    You are clueless what wind can do to a meditator or internal art cultivator.

Can you heal him if the Wind get into his bone and required Bone Marrow Washing Kung to heal him?
    You dolt! If this were true every sailor, high construction worker, rock climber, and mountaineer would die because the wind would upset their tender Chi balance! If meditating in the wind causes a person imbalance of any kind it is due to a preexisting infirmity or over-exposure!

There is nothing different or special about meditating in the wind than any other activity.

You are completely ignorant!

Start living in the 21st century!

You are totally ignorance and keep posting like an expert.

How do you deal with Qi flow or Tze Fa gung when it was triggle at standing meditation?
    You are out of your mind. To give advise on anything you dont not have indepth training.
    I have done stuff you couldn't imagine or dream of all without your precious master as a guide.

Your Chi does not trickle out during standing meditation. You are confusing fatigue and over-exposure with loss of Chi!

Once again, if it did no one could walk, stand or lie down in the wind without dying from Chi loss!

It is called exposure! Put on a blanket when cold, take it off when hot. Drink water when thirsty, pee when you need too! If one is smart and doesn't over do it, as with every single other activity in life, there is NO danger!

The meditative mind, according to Ch'an tradition AND my personal experience is possible anywhere, anytime, under any conditions and IS proper meditation! If you are only able to keep a meditative mind when you sit in a special manner in a special place with the temperature just right with no wind or rain or snow or noise or any other bothersome phenomena, you are still a beginner!

You are living in a fantasy world. If you think your negative effects will occur, your rainbow fantasy mind with help you make it so!

I post here because I dont like to see people screwed.
    Just about your every post is a screwball something helping other's robotic minds spin out fantasy dreams. You are not helping you are propagating old wives tales!

If one get into Pien Cha and Qi Zi Woon Luan which means the Qi or and shen got screw up, that needs real pro in Qigong or Shen gong to straight it up. It is not something to toy around.

Sure, free world everyone could do what they want. However, I have done my part as human being to share what I have experienced.
    Yes you have done quite a bit to help trap others in your own rainbow dream fantasy!

It is interesting to note that only in China does Chi affect people so negatively. It doesn't seem to affect anyone else on the planet negatively throughout time! I wonder why that is?

It is because much of it is a rainbow fantasy that was created to help people ignorant of science explain natural effects they did not understand.

All you are doing is propagating the false fantasy and helping others bind their mind to your own fantasy.

Remember those oh so wise ancients also gave mercury pills to their patients in order to help balance their Chi too. That was REAL smart wasn't it.....it helped many people die and others develop neurological abnormalities.

Your wise old masters were not so wise!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 04-03-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    - Running is better than walking.
    - Walking is better than standing.
    - Standing is better than sitting.
    - Sitting is better than laying down.
    - Laying down is better than dead.

Old Chinese saying said, "人挪活樹挪死(Ren Nuo Huo Shu Nuo Si) - If you move a person, he will live longer. If you move a tree, it will die soon." The Chinese word "挪(Nuo)" means "move around" and not "stand still".

When you are in jail, you can train your ZZ as much as you want, because that's the only training that you can do for the space you have. When you are not in jail, you should run or walk to enjoy the world that you live in.

I have nothing against ZZ. It's just there are many more important thing to do besides ZZ.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    - Running is better than walking.
    - Walking is better than standing.
    - Standing is better than sitting.
    - Sitting is better than laying down.
    - Laying down is better than dead.

Old Chinese saying said, "人挪活樹挪死(Ren Nuo Huo Shu Nuo Si) - If you move a person, he will live longer. If you move a tree, it will die soon." The Chinese word "挪(Nuo)" means "move around" and not "stand still".
    Cool aphorism!

I used to be a state class swimmer in high school. Back in those days they didn't pipe music into the water to keep the swimmer's minds occupied.

When you spend up to 4 hours in the pool performing monotonous actions, you learn to meditate in action pretty well. I also liked to do it when I used to run too, but now when I use the rowing machine! Actually, just about any monotonous activity is good.

I have even done it sparring!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    It is okay to meditate in the wind.
    Old Chinese saying also said, "夏練三暑冬練三伏(Xia Ling San Shu Dong Ling San Fu) - The best time to train is in the hot summer and cold winter." I assume the cold winter will have strong wind as well. I can see if you train so hard and sweat a lot, all your clothes are cotton, and your cotton clothes are wet by your sweat, you may catch cold under strong wing. But "meditate" can hardly make you body sweat that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    When you spend up to 4 hours in the pool performing monotonous actions, you learn to meditate in action pretty well.
    I was a Marathron runner so I know exactly what you are talking about. The 1st 16 miles are run by physical ability. The last 7 and 1/2 miles are run by mental meditation. Some famous Marathron runners even went to Japan to learn meditation.

Someone told me that if you can walk 8 miles daily. You can feel all your body problem in the 1st 4 miles. Your body can help you to fix all your problem in the last 4 miles. Even if for people who don't train MA, walking is still better than standing (unless you are in jail and lose your freedom). For any free person who pretends that he is in jail just make no sense to me.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.