Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Standing Meditation

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    unless you have teacher to verify that for you, it is all speculation
    This is true...it is always best to have someone else tell you when your feet hurt, or when you are pregnant or when you are sleeping or just about everything in life, because we all know we cannot trust ourselves to know anything independently!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is true...it is always best to have someone else tell you when your feet hurt, or when you are pregnant or when you are sleeping or just about everything in life, because we all know we cannot trust ourselves to know anything independently!
    i'd agree with you, but no one told me to...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    i'd agree with you, but no one told me to...
    As an expert on ME I think it would be in your best interest to agree with ME!

In fact, you cannot reach the higher stages until you agree with me in all things sense and non-sense!

Hey Hendrik and Taai Gihk Yahn, thx for all the response and discussion, I was just reading all this in the morning. Very interesting.

It is difficult to follow just one persons view, I guess in the end is to experience every move and tought.

It awnserd my question above level, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Hey Hendrik and Taai Gihk Yahn, thx for all the response and discussion, I was just reading all this in the morning. Very interesting.

It is difficult to follow just one persons view, I guess in the end is to experience every move and tought.

It awnserd my question above level, very cool.

Eugene,

if you dont have a sifu who really knows.

Might as well, sit comfortable-ly in a warm place or on your bed right just you wake up in the morning. and quietly doing silence prayer for 15 mins, do it for one month and you will see the benifit. That will give you lots of benifit in meditation without getting into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Eugene,

if you dont have a sifu who really knows.

Might as well, sit comfortable-ly in a warm place or on your bed right just you wake up in the morning. and quietly doing silence prayer for 15 mins, do it for one month and you will see the benifit. That will give you lots of benifit in meditation without getting into trouble.
    advice of the ages...

prayer is not meditation.
    reflection is not meditation.
    thinking private thoughts is not meditation.
    sorting out events in your mind is not meditation.

when you think about what meditation is, think more along the lines of rest and reset.

You're not becoming some open vessel for demons to inhabit. This is practically infantile in scope of thought.

You are trying to be aware. You are trying to get in touch with that aspect of yourself that you would otherwise not approach.

and yes, it is rats ass silly to go on about needing a teacher to tell you how to feel or what you should feel etc.

When you rest and reset, that experience is different for everyone.
    Make sure you have good posture, don't be rigid and don't be lazy bone relaxed either.

now the next step is to shut up.

move on.

Kung Fu is good for you.

prayer is not meditation.
    prayer is meditation for it could help one to quiet one's mind to reach behind the mind. prayer is a tool a great tool which help one to cross over the sea of thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    prayer is meditation for it could help one to quiet one's mind to reach behind the mind. prayer is a tool a great tool which help one to cross over the sea of thoughts.
    Prayer is words = thoughts!

So....thoughts help one to cross over the sea of thoughts?

Please explain how one can use a hammer to hammer a hammer in order to row a boat?

Please explain how one can use a hammer to hammer a hammer in order to row a boat?
    i'm telling ya... hendrik is whacked man.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i'm telling ya... hendrik is whacked man.
    Or NEEDS to be whacked.....

....or was whacked too much as a child!

I got to give you lots of love.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-05-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Sorry to ruin your fun, but actually Hendrik is right for a change. Prayer is a form of meditation or at least they're closely related.

I don't remember much but here's a link to a wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectio_Divina#Meditatio

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    Sorry to ruin your fun, but actually Hendrik is right for a change. Prayer is a form of meditation or at least they're closely related.

For your info, I actually went and study with a catholic priest on prayer. Then, compare the experience with Zen, different Buddhism meditation, and qigong / chinese medicine/ Daoist experience.

What I found is the basic entering into the silence are similar even thought different technics are used and also different level of attainment based on the technics.

Thus, as a common denominator, in my experience, healing and energy...etc will surface only if one could enter into silence, that is the must. and most never get that far. however, prayer is easier and much safer because one is in a more secure path then Zen where one probe deep and could get it totally wrong due to mistaken mental state as the ultimate if no experience teacher is guiding one; or Qigong where one right away needs to know which path to take once the energy evoke.

The theory of prayer is simply using the illusion to disolve illusion. In prayer, when one pray, one manifest one thought, one surrender to this thought only and this thought shield one from millions of thoughts. Thus, one get into quiet mind easer due to one doesnt entertain the millions of thoughts. and, since the Buddha nature is non attached by nature, letting go of the one thought will naturally happen when one's practice get deeper and deeper. But theory is theory, if one has never get there one will not "be" as for " being". Note that "be" is the ultimate, "know" still have thought or discrimination. so if one talks about AWARENESS and that AWARENESS is KNOWING that still within the mind realm. it is not being or no mind state yet. in fact still far away.

Lots of people are suffer out there due to sickness or stress.

entering into silence is a good thing to help them. Thus, prayer is the best and safest to aids them to improve. It is all about love. it is all about helping others with love.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-05-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post

Actually........

it wasn't me that said prayer wasn't meditation! That was David.

On that topic, it depends upon how one chooses to define meditation and prayer. I did not address this because I don't care one way or the other whether one person thinks prayer is meditation and another doesn't!

What I was commenting on was this:

"prayer is meditation for it could help one to quiet one's mind to reach behind the mind. prayer is a tool a great tool which help one to cross over the sea of thoughts."

Prayer by definition uses words, yet Hendrik states the prayer is a "great tool" to "cross over the sea of thoughts."

Words are thoughts, so he is saying one can use thoughts to eliminate thoughts, this is foolishness. You do not use fire to put out fire. Using thought is a most inefficient manner of transcending thoughts. It is using an attachment to a method to over come attachment to method. This is like using a hammer to hammer a hammer in order to row a boat!

Which means it is a useless activity.

That is not to say prayer is useless, only to use prayer in order to transcend thoughts is useless!