Page 54 of 79 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Ng chan wing chun

Kwok fu would not know everything about Ip ma's Hong Kong teaching- he was not there.

joy chaudhuri[/QUOTE]

If I remember well , during the time ip man has been sent to a college in hong kong, he met Leung bik and learned from.
    Than he went back to china and it was war time.
    He didn't speak about Leung bik and his mates of the sha wah son period didn't understand how his wing Chun became stronger.
    A friend of him , introduced to him his nephew = kwok Fu .he taught him the Leung bik version as well and this was during the war time in china.

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    Kwok fu would not know everything about Ip ma's Hong Kong teaching- he was not there.

joy chaudhuri
    If I remember well , during the time ip man has been sent to a college in hong kong, he met Leung bik and learned from.
    Than he went back to china and it was war time.
    He didn't speak about Leung bik and his mates of the sha wah son period didn't understand how his wing Chun became stronger.
    A friend of him , introduced to him his nephew = kwok Fu .he taught him the Leung bik version as well and this was during the war time in china.[/QUOTE]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moshe only- i understand that and I agree. But Kwok Fu did not personally observe all of Ip man's teaching in Hong Kong from 1950 onwards.
    In Hong kong after 1950 not all of Ip man's students learned the whole system. A few did most did not- the evidence is there to see in careful observation of the results.
    of course there are different opinions- every tom, **** and harry has one.
    And the noise keeps confusing folks.
    Take footwork for example---in the more crowded public class there was not enough time and space to learn the full footwork repertoire that is there in Ip Man's wing chun- so folks began to do do different weighting of the feet and added their own footwork.

joy chaudhuri

Thanks for yor response...very interesting. But I dont mean point fighting or one step rules. I mean free flowing techniques where you go at it. I have seen full contact fights with TKD and Kyoshukin go head to head. No points just straight sparring. An also a chinese kung fu monkey style who knew nothing of fighting, going against a karate guy.

But yes a fight not a drill or scenario techniques. Because in fighting you can not predict what techniques you will be able to use or which ones will even work!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Why? What is it you hope to discover by seeing that?

I think anyone that is versed in Wing Chun can decide to fight any way they like, or at least that's what I have seen over the years. Principles and methods are adapted to each individual, so there doesn't seem to be a unified approach to fighting with Wing Chun, which is cool imho as it just makes us all that little bit more unpredictable

Showing how Tan Da works in a one-step environment against a Karate guys lunge punch is a little bit eighties really but I guess you're asking to see a fight, not scenario based techniques?

OOh Well if someone is saying their WC is the closet to real deal holyfield. I suggest a showcase of the authenicity in fighting and or sparring. True Gung Fu is in fighting. Because after all thats what you train to do. Is it not? Its not in Kicking boards, breaking bricks, showing how many punches you can throw in the air in seven seconds. Its not how much weight you can bench press, how many push ups you can do in a minute. Its not showing how strong your chi is by moving objects from far away or extinguishing a candle from four feet away. Its not how good you do a form or how well you can chi sau against someone who is not as good as chi sau as you are or someone who doesn't know chi sau....

The purpose of doing WC which is infact a street fighting art is to fight. The only way one can measure their gung fu against others is by fighting with it. Sparring is the only constant or variable that doesn't change. Doing Chi Sau against tai chi master is not fair. Because the Tai Chi Master doesn't know the game, Doing Point fighting against boxer is not fair because a boxer doesn't know the game, Doing push hands against a Wing Chun sifu isn't fair because a WC guy doesn't know tui shou...

The only thing all these arts have in common is sparring. Free sparring is the only way to deem which indiviual has the most skill at adapting his game to free fighting and subduing his opponent with his system's techniques and principles.

So when someone says my Gung Fu, My MMA, My Karate, My Boxing, By WC is the best. I say there is only one way to prove it true...

No System of fighting is the best. Maybe best for you. But its up to indiviual to be the best not the style of system. If you have no fighting skills. Why even talk about how real deal holyfield what your doing is. Because it is utterly useless. You can't use it in real life or in a controlled setting where you have to fight.

Its like a woman saying she has the best BJ skills in the world. Her head game is so phemnomal she can make any man pre ejactulate under a minute so hard he will fall out an go to sleep right away. How would you believe her unless she put her lips on you an make you explode in seven seconds flat?

Instead of proving to you she can do what she says. She does little training exercises to show her skills. Like slide a cumcumber down her throat with out gagging. Make her tongue touch the bottom of her chin, suck a golf ball through garden hose. These are fine tricks but all they show is she is skilled at doing impressive training exercises and doesn't prove she is good as actually giving head!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Best not to go off track. Moshe's post set off for the most part a nice discussion on wing chun
    forms, training and techniques. There are many ways to fight.
    While Moshe thinks that Ng Chan was the main person who got the real deal- I disagree.
    But the discussion and Chee's translations brings out the important work of a first generation Ip man student.

joy chaudhuri
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Its like a woman saying ...
    Perhaps choose a different example next time. Try and keep the forum PG to MA at least.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Blog Entries
    Hi Moshe,

Since Ng chan's system is the leung bik version and the same as Kwok Fu's system. Can you give a detailed explanation of the bagua bo footwork concept, and how it's applied in combat?

thanks in advance
    KFF

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    The purpose of doing WC which is infact a street fighting art is to fight.
    Okay. Thanks for the 'detailed' explanation of why you want to see Wing Chun guys fight but it is now clear to me where you stand on your view of Wing Chun.

For me personally, you are so wrong. Wing Chun is far more than a 'street fighting art' imho.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hi Moshe,

Since Ng chan's system is the leung bik version and the same as Kwok Fu's system. Can you give a detailed explanation of the bagua bo footwork concept, and how it's applied in combat?

thanks in advance
    KFF
    ------------------------
    I don't know whether you will get an answer. The old timers are passing on.
    Kwok Fu seems more nimble on his feet than Lun Gai- but Kwok Fu's son's wing chun is different and not noteworthy. kwok fu atleast has the angle stepping and turning in.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Perhaps choose a different example next time. Try and keep the forum PG to MA at least.
    Did you understand my example?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Okay. Thanks for the 'detailed' explanation of why you want to see Wing Chun guys fight but it is now clear to me where you stand on your view of Wing Chun.

For me personally, you are so wrong. Wing Chun is far more than a 'street fighting art' imho.
    What is WC for you...Dont give me some philospical answer such as what one would say about Tai Chi?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    In this thread there is also mentioned Master Gwok Fu...

Below is link to: A Secret Interview with Legendary Gwok Fu,
    Wing Chun Hero from Nam Hoi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRYkzHIQ1W0

It would be fine, if someone would like to do translations of the text, questions & answers or maybe main points out of this interview...

Jox
    the sounds effects ~ !

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    In this thread there is also mentioned Master Gwok Fu...

Below is link to: A Secret Interview with Legendary Gwok Fu,
    Wing Chun Hero from Nam Hoi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRYkzHIQ1W0

It would be fine, if someone would like to do translations of the text, questions & answers or maybe main points out of this interview...

Jox
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone- what is the essence of what Gwok Fu said? If memory serves he learned from Ip man for about 3 years.
    I dont pay attention to the added sound effects. Am interested in the details of motions
    and what his views may be. I liked his work on the dummy but not what the students were doing in class.

Kwok Fu is dead.93 ans

Kwok Fu is dead.93 ans
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry to hear of his passing. Another old timer gone. With respect to his family and friends,

joy chaudhuri

Kwok Fu is dead.93 ans
    R.I.P.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jox

That's sad news. I haven't had time to watch the clip all the way through. The subtitles are in Simplified Chinese characters for the benefit of the general Chinese audience since the interviewer and Kwok Fu were speaking in Cantonese.

I probably only saw a few minutes, I'll update when I've seen it all.

The gist of the first few minutes was that Kwok Fu learned from Yip Man in Foshan. He then lists the 7 Foshan students.

Then recollects how Yip Man was good friends with Yuen Kay Shan. How YKS used to watch them train. On one occasion (I need to listen again to double check), YM wanted to get YKS out of the training room (secrets!) so asked Kwok Fu to ask YKS for some pointers. YKS was something like 20-yrs older than KF (40+ vs. 20+) but was fierce and ruthless. KF didn't want to disrespect an elder so did not hit hard, only to touch YKS's body. On the contrary YKS could not touch KF. Afterwards, YKS said only KF had learned Wing Chun so well, and so made KF's reputation in Foshan.

After YM left for Hong Kong, whenever he had students who did not understand, he would tell them to go back to China, and look KF up at the main Foshan department store. Implying that KF had the answers they were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    That's sad news. I haven't had time to watch the clip all the way through. The subtitles are in Simplified Chinese characters for the benefit of the general Chinese audience since the interviewer and Kwok Fu were speaking in Cantonese.

I probably only saw a few minutes, I'll update when I've seen it all.

The gist of the first few minutes was that Kwok Fu learned from Yip Man in Foshan. He then lists the 7 Foshan students.

Then recollects how Yip Man was good friends with Yuen Kay Shan. How YKS used to watch them train. On one occasion (I need to listen again to double check), YM wanted to get YKS out of the training room (secrets!) so asked Kwok Fu to ask YKS for some pointers. YKS was something like 20-yrs older than KF (40+ vs. 20+) but was fierce and ruthless. KF didn't want to disrespect an elder so did not hit hard, only to touch YKS's body. On the contrary YKS could not touch KF. Afterwards, YKS said only KF had learned Wing Chun so well, and so made KF's reputation in Foshan.

After YM left for Hong Kong, whenever he had students who did not understand, he would tell them to go back to China, and look KF up at the main Foshan department store. Implying that KF had the answers they were looking for.
    So YKS learned by watching...? That might explain things.