Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Ng chan wing chun

this almost reminds me of cult like aspects that were discussed in martial arts on previous thread

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    this almost reminds me of cult like aspects that were discussed in martial arts on previous thread
    What? cults and mind ****ing in the MA?
    You're crazy !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i am not crazy! i have merely seen the light and opened the doors of my mind to the various alternate universes of reality!!!!

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    thats life !!!
    some are blessed with the best ,and others differently !
    you can decide to receive my post like you are writing ,but you could have choose another way ,and try to understand the new pespective that i was trying to open for others.
    How can you yourself be sure, you learnt the best if you are not even willing to compare notes. Could you at least give a few general points as to why you feel this way. No one is asking you to teach them online!
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 04-13-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Moshe, Raymond and Ng Chan

See the beginning of the thread:Moshe started off nicely about NG Chan who has not been much in the lime light and Raymond shared some insights from what his father told him about Ng Chan.

But Moshe- perhaps because of language gap possibly got drawn into the not unusual contentious chemistry of this net forum and pushed some wrong buttons- by assuming that all of wing chun outside of his is mercenary, masculine etc etc.

I would not be too hard on a relatively new poster.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    iv no much time right now to answer you in detail
    im not trying to polemic
    so please feel relax
    and again sorry for my english ,which one give a special tone to my writing

i trained 20 years with ki ping pun and met as well ng chan several time and pratised with him

i have benchmarks in order to evaluate wing chun that perhaps you dont have
    i have seen practising others like w c ...
    my purpose is not to try to demolish other wing chun ,every one has to be happy with what he receive

but dont forget that all these masters have created commercial system that is opposite to the uniqueness of wing chun .which one is a style ,hiden behind the door

so what i was proposing ,is to give you rules or concepts that should help to evoluate your own wing chun
    if you read me again ,and analyse it with calm ,you will be in a better situation to question yourself

i cannot teach wing chun through the forum ,describing each technic of ng chan and even worst ,to compare it to others.
    let us try to be at a higher level, and try to exchange concept
    example :
    i was saying that the movements should provide leverage ,to provide a feminine force,and to allow you to be close if front of your opponent
    to allow as well a continuous flow of movements without break that should cause to go to develop phycical force (masculine force), to allow as to drive the opponent arms
    if your movements respect this ,thats good .if not try to correct it

regards
    I see that you have 20 years in WC. Well, I have 40 years in WC with many different Sifus and I still don't say that I have the Holy Grail of WC. You need to tone it down a little because I'm not impressed in the least. Throughout my WC history I have NEVER said that other people's WC is less then mine. Do you know why? It's because NONE of us were present during the development of WC. We can only report what our respective Sifus tell us and to me that's not enough. Otherwise opinions/stories are like a**holes. Everyone has one. I'd also like to add that I competed in MANY full contact events using WC. My WC has worked for me. I NEVER lost a competition. Have you tested your superior WC in competitions?????
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-13-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Muteki View Post
    I agree. We should not be too harsh on him even though a lot of the information he provided matches to what my dad told me in the past...

... The complicated politics was probably one of the reasons why he remained low-profile, as well as not accepting too many students.
    I hear you, but unfortunately I think too much ammo has been given to the ego-brigade!

EDIT:
    Sorry, I didn't really mean that! Many who post here just simply like to excahnge info and ideas but we do get interrupted on a regular basis...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 04-14-2010 at 05:06 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

How about you write in your native French Moshe?

We may be able to understand a bit better then? I mean someone on here must be fluent? I can speak a bit, but not enough for the tech WC stuff.

Just a thought? Rather than bickering? Dont forget not all cultures are the same and whilst some of you guys think Moshe is belittling your WC, try going to France and explaining in their language why you think your version of WC is effective. Meanings may get lost in translation.

Cheers

Bully

edit, I see we have some Canadian guys, anyone from the French speaking part? Quebec iirc??
    Last edited by Bully; 04-14-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: remembered that the canadian guys may speak French

Type it in French - I studied French for 5 years and still read. We can always have Google translate for us.

Rene speaks French fluently, my friend Jacques does also.

Thanks for the post, Raymond...

Very interesting (and seemingly thorough) timeline and lists of who studied with Yip Man, and where...and when.

And very interesting (and seemingly thorough) timeline for Yip Man's entire life history.

I won't argue about who was sihing/sidai between William Cheung and Ng Chan - because how could I know for sure?

Still interested in when it was exactly that Ng Chan lived with Yip Man.

Do you know?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-14-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Raymond

I get the impression from one "history" that Ng Chan began after WSL when IM had shifted from
    teaching at the Restaurant workers union (where Leung Sheung began)to Hoi Tan st... then a year or two later the school moved back to the Restaurant workers union where W. Cheung became a student... making Cheung- Ng Chan's sidai.

The changes were related to union politics and changes in union leadership possibly.

In the long run it doesn't matter- (who knows?the shadow knows)what matters is how the art was taught by different people...and
    according tp Moshe...Ng Chan's wc was more cognizant of the feminine side of wing chun than some others.I wish Moshe or your father could elaborate more on that?(Without generalizing about all other wing chun)

Impressions can be interesting though real history can be problematic. There are different timelines sometimes given...but not all private students knew each other. There is also Ip Chun's time line though he came to HK much later around 1962?

I am often skeptical of "histories"-especially where egos of the narrators are involved.

Getting late-no proof reading or editing.... good night!

joy chaudhuri

I am thankful that a great art continued downstream to our times.

I do remember Moy Yat once saying that Ng Chan was Duncan Leung's sifu.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-15-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Impressions can be interesting though real history can be problematic. There are different timelines sometimes given...but not all private students knew each other.
    It's not only that the private students didn't know eachother, it's also difficult because most of the younger commercial students didn't know them either.

I guess with Ip Man Private' actually meant 'Private'!

At a gathering held last weekend, my Uncle Sifu Austin Goh talked briefly about how Lee Shing was so proud to learn from Ip Man, and he cherished the time he spent with him in Hong Kong, mostly learning in Hotel rooms! He felt that he also had been passed something very special indeed and this was one of the main reasons for his reluctance to teach brawlers and trouble makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Muteki View Post
    Also Sifu Ng Chan was good friends with Chow Tze Chuen (from Kowloon Bus of HK) and Moy Yat, and often visited by them.
    It seems that Ng Chan was around at similar times to Lee Shing (1950's), so I was wondering if anything has ever been said to you about them knowing eachother? Lee Shing was only in his thirties back then.
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 04-15-2010 at 02:47 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I do remember Moy Yat once saying that Ng Chan was Duncan Leung's sifu.
    maybe true, maybe not.

big trees catch more wind and i understand that MY and DL weren't exactly best friends...

If you read Raymond's post carefully, it says that Duncan started with Ng Chan and then became Yip Man's student.