Page 55 of 79 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Ng chan wing chun

Not sure what you mean regarding YKS? He is regarded as an elder generation even to Yip Man. The historical record shows that he had an independent reputation for good Wing Chun.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Not sure what you mean regarding YKS? He is regarded as an elder generation even to Yip Man. The historical record shows that he had an independent reputation for good Wing Chun.
    So why the mentioning of him ?

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    That's sad news. I haven't had time to watch the clip all the way through. The subtitles are in Simplified Chinese characters for the benefit of the general Chinese audience since the interviewer and Kwok Fu were speaking in Cantonese.

I probably only saw a few minutes, I'll update when I've seen it all.

The gist of the first few minutes was that Kwok Fu learned from Yip Man in Foshan. He then lists the 7 Foshan students.

Then recollects how Yip Man was good friends with Yuen Kay Shan. How YKS used to watch them train. On one occasion (I need to listen again to double check), YM wanted to get YKS out of the training room (secrets!) so asked Kwok Fu to ask YKS for some pointers. YKS was something like 20-yrs older than KF (40+ vs. 20+) but was fierce and ruthless. KF didn't want to disrespect an elder so did not hit hard, only to touch YKS's body. On the contrary YKS could not touch KF. Afterwards, YKS said only KF had learned Wing Chun so well, and so made KF's reputation in Foshan.

After YM left for Hong Kong, whenever he had students who did not understand, he would tell them to go back to China, and look KF up at the main Foshan department store. Implying that KF had the answers they were looking for.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Chee-Thanks for your initial comments on the Kwok Fu interview. YKS was indeed an elder and Kwok Fu was showing his traditional respect for YKS as a Wing Chun elder with his own approach to wing chun. YKS's older brother paid a major role in developing wing chun in Viet nam- which branched off into several versions and also incorporated other kung fu.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    So why the mentioning of him ?
    Because he was there? There are many accounts of them training together, maybe not in a formal teacher/student relationship.

is there any reader of this thread being in fat chan right now.
    i heard that there is a wing chun festival ,and it could be a good opportunity to meet my sifu

Smile Most enjoyable

Normally don't spend much time on the forums. Personally have found more value in just learning and training with people, although ideas and theories can sometimes be valuable through the forums. Usually I have found too much mudslinging and need for defending one's lineage to muddle through to find it though. Must say, I have really enjoyed the information and the discourse interaction throughout this thread. Whether or not Moshe chooses to teach and share openly his methods and/or that of his teacher's is up to him; none of us felt we were any worse off before he opened a new door for consideration for all of us. And despite his broken English, he got many of us to consider a new perspective on what we do. His comments on the feminine side give one thought for consideration IMHO too many today add brute force and brute force training to their Wing Chun (maybe it's a Western thing, I don't know). But if one is confident in the knowledge and training that one's Sifu has given one, then he/she should also feel confident in using that knowledge and the concepts within, to go out and train it to find the answers for oneself. Wing Chun as we all know is experiential, and those are the best guides for one's training, not videos or books. But "conversations" like this one, which really open one's ways of considering what one knows and how one uses that knowledge, are quite stimulating and could be most beneficially used to influence how one decides to structure his/her training, or to make modifications in how he/she trains what they already know. I just wanted to say thanks, Moshe, for bringing a new slant to this forum, and for giving many a new way to consider how we think and train our own Wing Chun.

ng chan ki ping pun

Where is Rolling Hand???
    Just a thought ....
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

[QUOTE=Jox;1141164]As I know there are only two masters who are known for their excellent kicking techniques. Late Master Ng Chan, who was known for his kicking techniques as "Ghost Foot Chan" and master Chow Tze Chuen, who is known as "King of Kicks".

Both masters excellent kickers, but I assume that their concepts of using kicks are different, or maybe I am wrong?

Jox

Only two? Nah!!

I saw Wong Long and Ching Wong are members of the new Traditional Ving Tsun assoc.
    http://www.traditionalvingtsunassoc.com

[QUOTE=Jox;1141164]As I know there are only two masters who are known for their excellent kicking techniques. Late Master Ng Chan, who was known for his kicking techniques as "Ghost Foot Chan" and master Chow Tze Chuen, who is known as "King of Kicks".

Both masters excellent kickers, but I assume that their concepts of using kicks are different, or maybe I am wrong?

Jox

i have seen ng chan kicking not CTC
    THE KICKS ARE FOLLOWING THE SAME RULES OF THE HANDS
    PLUS IF THE STANDARD OF THE BASIC STANCE IS DIFFERENT ,THE KICKS CANNOT BE THE SAME
    FOR THE USE OF THE ARMS AS WELL

i saw wong long and ching wong are members of the new traditional ving tsun assoc.

interesting ,and they are right,
    but with so much differences between themselves
    ,how are they fixing the problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    As I know there are only two masters who are known for their excellent kicking techniques. Late Master Ng Chan, who was known for his kicking techniques as "Ghost Foot Chan" and master Chow Tze Chuen, who is known as "King of Kicks".
    It would be interesting to hear if any lineage practises a 16 kicking method? Saap Look Gerk Fut? Or the Moi Fass Mook Yan Jong/Plum Flower wooden Man?

This is where I gained all of my legwork/kicking methods and I believe this is something my Sigung Lee Shing was very proud of learning.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I saw Wong Long and Ching Wong are members of the new Traditional Ving Tsun assoc.
    I can't say much about this! Nothing to do with unifying Wing Chun IMHO. All Victor Kan
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    It would be interesting to hear if any lineage practises a 16 kicking method? Saap Look Gerk Fut? Or the Moi Fass Mook Yan Jong/Plum Flower wooden Man?

This is where I gained all of my legwork/kicking methods and I believe this is something my Sigung Lee Shing was very proud of learning.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of leg development in Augustine Fong wing chun. A key thing for good legwork application is footwork. And. there is lots of footwork and moving stances as well.

leg or kick The 8 positions of the kick are:

1. jing gurk =strike with the top of the heel just below the arch
    2. wang gurk = strike with the outside of the heel on the little toe side
    3. soo gurk = strike with the inside of the arch
    4. yaai sut gurk = strike with the middle of the heel downward
    5. tiu gurk = strike with the instep with the toes pointed
    6. jut gurk = strike with the lower calf and achilles tendon
    7. tai sut = strike with the top or side of the knee with the leg bent
    8. chai gurk = strike downward with the knife edge of the foot
    Gurk jong 8 kicks to the mok jong or dummy

Three leg blocking exercise with the following blocks:
    dai jing gurk low front kick blocking with the calf muscle
    bong gurk shin block
    jut gurk snapping block

Leg Development

Jing Dok Lop ma (front single leg)
    Wang Dok Lop ma (side single leg)
    Jing/Wang Dang Gurk (slow nailing front and side kick)
    Jing/Wang Tai Gurk (slow front and side raising kick)
    Gaan Gurk (5 Leg Blocks) Soo, Bong, Gaan, Pak Sut, Wu Sut
    Yin/Yang Rotation of Kicking (Front Kick up/ Down, Side Kick up/Down)
    Jing Gurk Jut Gurk
    Pak Gurk in Air
    Wu Gurk in Air
    Bong Gurk Chai Gurk
    Huen Jing Gurk
    Huen Wang Gurk
    Tiu Chai Gurk
    Tiu Dang Gurk