Thread: Ng chan wing chun

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    Too vague

One or two step to enter
    Of course not like a ring sport jumping on spot to find a good timing
    Sham qu teach you to hide your step in
    Piu gi. To strike direct from any position
    what are the stepping pattern is it saam gok ma, and bik ma?

how do you hide your step?

are there any clips on youtube that's close to what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    what are the stepping pattern is it saam gok ma, and bik ma?

??????

how do you hide your step?

i keep the advantage

are there any clips on youtube that's close to what you mean?
    yip man clip ,just look the stepping
    Last edited by MOSHE; 11-20-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    yip man clip ,just look the stepping
    what's the link?

[QUOTE=MOSHE;1144038]No we do on spot
    The gap between the feet is too wide
    It's should no larger than the shoulders
    And it's too masculine
    Remember 100% on the rear leg
    Kwok fu did know Leung bik but taught a closer sha wah son version to most his student
    In an interview he seems to hint that the students he taught the Leung bik dead prematurly and another stopped doing WC
    Anyway CWS was still efficient[/QUOTE---------------

-----------------------------------------------Restating an opinion after reading Moshe's posts and his sifu's article, and watching Ng Chan's motions captured on video and learning from pretty good sources and listening, over the years..:
    Many of Moshe's critiques of much of wing chun that he has seen..are on target--but there are some problems in his perspective. No Question that Ng Chan had good wing chun that he learned from Ip man... I think that Ng Chan had good hands and good kicks but his 100% back leg stance and comment shows incomplete Ip man style footwork and some swaying of his structure.Leung Shun as an early student also had the 100%back leg stance which shows up in his line and even in Leung Ting.
    Against a low level good grappler attack the back leg stance id likely to have problems.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1144154]
    No we do on spot
    The gap between the feet is too wide
    It's should no larger than the shoulders
    And it's too masculine
    Remember 100% on the rear leg
    Kwok fu did know Leung bik but taught a closer sha wah son version to most his student
    In an interview he seems to hint that the students he taught the Leung bik dead prematurly and another stopped doing WC
    Anyway CWS was still efficient[/QUOTE---------------

-----------------------------------------------Restating an opinion after reading Moshe's posts and his sifu's article, and watching Ng Chan's motions captured on video and learning from pretty good sources and listening, over the years..:
    Many of Moshe's critiques of much of wing chun that he has seen..are on target--but there are some problems in his perspective. No Question that Ng Chan had good wing chun that he learned from Ip man... I think that Ng Chan had good hands and good kicks but his 100% back leg stance and comment shows incomplete Ip man style footwork and some swaying of his structure.Leung Shun as an early student also had the 100%back leg stance which shows up in his line and even in Leung Ting.
    Against a low level good grappler attack the back leg stance id likely to have problems.

No
    Because you are quicker to react by kicking or stepping
    Still you have a good balance

If you are 70/30. Or 60/40
    And he seizes you
    He pressures your lower body which reflects to react physically/contrated with your upper body

in the original WC we don't change the rules
    Everything has been well thought by the founders
    Which had to fight against all kind of styles including grapplers

Ng chan has been told the same by yip man ,seing that others where trying to adapt

But if you are thinking about Sha wa son way, yes they cannot use 100% back leg because the are using masculine/physical strength in their arms
    Like others south china style
    Last edited by MOSHE; 11-20-2011 at 01:01 PM.

[QUOTE=MOSHE;1144163]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

No
    Because you are quicker to react by kicking or stepping
    Still you have a good balance

If you are 70/30. Or 60/40
    And he seizes you
    He pressures your lower body which reflects to react physically/contrated with your upper body

in the original WC we don't change the rules
    Everything has been well thought by the founders
    Which had to fight against all kind of styles including grapplers

Ng chan has been told the same by yip man ,seing that others where trying to adapt

But if you are thinking about Sha wa son way, yes they cannot use 100% back leg because the are using masculine/physical strength in their arms
    Like others south china style
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Moshe- we agree on many things but NOT on the 100% weight on the back leg. Ip Man is not around to restate what he said. He himself balanced equally on both sides. My sigung studied with Ip Man as long as anyone. I don't used ChanWAShun's stance. 100% on the back leg sacrifices mobility. But agreeing on all points are ok with me.

joy chaudhuri

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1144213]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Moshe- we agree on many things but NOT on the 100% weight on the back leg. Ip Man is not around to restate what he said. He himself balanced equally on both sides.
    i dont think so

My sigung studied with Ip Man as long as anyone. I don't used ChanWAShun's stance. 100% on the back leg sacrifices mobility. But agreeing on all points are ok with me.

joy chaudhuri

Think about his:

If you hold a whip with two hands can you slam it the same you when you hold it with one hand

Perhaps yip man wasn't interested to correct HKM !
    Or perhaps it was difficult for him to hold this stance
    That's not an easy stance if you body is very strong

almost (on purpose !)
    http://www.brooklynwt.com/files/imag...0triangule.jpg
    http://www.wingchun.si/images/slides/yipman10.jpg
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Gq08ck8eMH-Yhg
    http://www.qianlidao.com.au/wp-conte...p-man-jong.jpg
    Last edited by MOSHE; 11-21-2011 at 06:27 AM.

[QUOTE=MOSHE;1144220][QUOTE=Vajramusti;1144213]

Think about his:

If you hold a whip with two hands can you slam it the same you when you hold it with one hand

almost (on purpose !)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wrong analogy Moshe-you are talking about hands- i am talking about feet. We do single leg stances a lot - no problem. But if you use back weighting in real situations there is greater
    chances:

1.to be stuck when you don't need to be.
    2. and reducing mobility in different directions specially in a multiple person scenario.
    3. to be taken down by a good grappler.

Besides- what you said bout IM and HKM is simply not true. I. I am certain that Ng Chan had good hands and probably good front kicks- but I have reservations on footwork and details on the kwan and the do. Those are self evident in the videos . I understand your devotion to what you do.

joy

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1144238][QUOTE=MOSHE;1144220]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

Think about his:

almost (on purpose !)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wrong analogy Moshe-you are talking about hands- i am talking about feet. We do single leg stances a lot - no problem. But if you use back weighting in real situations there is greater
    chances:

1.to be stuck when you don't need to be.
    2. and reducing mobility in different directions specially in a multiple person scenario.
    3. to be taken down by a good grappler.

Besides- what you said bout IM and HKM is simply not true. I. I am certain that Ng Chan had good hands and probably good front kicks- but I have reservations on footwork and details on the kwan and the do. Those are self evident in the videos . I understand your devotion to what you do.

joy
    HS no devotion to any one ,
    Joy, you didnt understood the whip manipulation
    It does help to understand the stance

But what ever we are all responsible about our own choices
    So it doesn't mind if we dont share the same view on this topic

Just tell me ,if you accept that the founder who was a woman had only one way about the stance and that one of us is wrong

It will be easer for people to make a choice than to be in the middle

Regards

I

[QUOTE=MOSHE;1144257][QUOTE=Vajramusti;1144238][QUOTE=MOSHE;1144220]

HS no devotion to any one ,
    Joy, you didnt understood the whip manipulation
    It does help to understand the stance

But what ever we are all responsible about our own choices
    So it doesn't mind if we dont share the same view on this topic

Just tell me ,if you accept that the founder who was a woman had only one way about the stance and that one of us is wrong

It will be easer for people to make a choice than to be in the middle

Regards

------------------------------------
    Hi Moshe-thanks for the discussion of your views. We may be in part, talking past each other.
    Wish we could meet and discuss in a friendly way. But I don't go to NYC much these days and I have not been to Israel.. but have been to France- years ago.
    I know some things about whip manipulation When you are in motion many kinds of shifts take place - back, front, middle etc.
    Being evenly balanced allows either leg to be used and not directly related to gender.

Regards, joy

the good stance and the bad stance

good wu sao's too....

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    good wu sao's too....
    yes
    do you see as well the gap between the feet !

yes
    do you see as well the gap between the feet !
    yes, noted.

One good wu sao (IM)and one lousy one.