Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huen Sau

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    The fact that you guys think your version of wing chun is more right over another is the real funny thing. Do you honestly believe that either one of you has the "inside line" on what the original intent of a movement in a form set is? I mean really?
    The funny thing is that you 'interpret' anything I say as meaning that my way is 'best'!

Read through again, as I'm pretty sure all I was attempting to do was have a conversation about 'differences' not who's is right or wrong.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I wasn't saying that you said that. "Best" wasn't the idea between you two, it was who was more correct in the interpretation of the movement.

The point being that you guys are arguing about taut sao--a single technique in a single form set that was created so long ago and so many generations ago that to think that one knows exactly what the intended meaning was at the time of its inclusion into the form is just plain...well...arrogant.

It's not about "not training long enough" either as Kevin thinks. Someone could look at the taut sao movement and decipher the same use or idea as either one of you in just a moments time. Because it is an interpretation--much like those ink blots that you see psychologists using.

Long story short is that both of you are right, and both of you are wrong. It all just depends on your audience's perspective of whatever your ideas are.

FWIW--I originally learned it to be a wrist release, as that's what I was told. But since then have found far more profound tidbits of knowledge in the forms. As Kevin says, it promotes the idea of replacing the wu, which I agree with as well. At the same time I understand that different people think different things about the form...but in looking at slt, to me it is meant to solidify the foundation of the system's ideas, where the application of those ideas are endless.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 04-12-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added text
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Long story short is that both of you are right, and both of you are wrong. It all just depends on your audience's perspective of whatever your ideas are.
    Well said! And I agree totally.

FWIW--I originally learned it to be a wrist release, as that's what I was told. But since then have found far more profound tidbits of knowledge in the forms. As Kevin says, it promotes the idea of replacing the wu, which I agree with as well. At the same time I understand that different people think different things about the form...but in looking at slt, to me it is meant to solidify the foundation of the system's ideas, show the basic techniques, promote the "internal" aspect of the system, and just give an overall feel.
    Also agreed, and I would add that it only gives an 'overall feel' of Gin San Wing Chun, square body skills, at the beginning.

Back onto the tuet sau, this set in the SLT was also where I experienced the first reference to four posture training (which did cover the 'freeing hand' ideas discussed) This wasn't something 'made up' or 'invented' by my Sifu. It just made alot of sense at the time and it lead very nicely into the intro for second form.

FWIW Now I see these four postures everywhere, but that was where I was first exposed to the idea.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Have fun with your tut sao's arrogant ? Im only helping out. there are many thinking its a wrist grab thing....wrong thinking !

5 minutes sparring can reveal a lot about seeking SLT applications whatever it is, it has to be fast!

I wondered for a while why the main points of the system are done pointing down to the ground ...like the opening actions. tut sao's ...its a fundamental idea of our fighting method...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-12-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Have fun with your tut sao's arrogant ? Im only helping out. there are many thinking its a wrist grab thing....wrong thinking !

5 minutes sparring can reveal a lot about seeking SLT applications
    Waaaaaaiit. Didn't you say applications would be a person's downfall? Though I agree some good ol sparring teaches more honestly than some teachers do.

So I guess you're sticking to the premise that you have the one and only correct idea as to the intent of the form's movements.

It's too bad that the one thing you don't know, is that your cup is overflowing.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 04-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."