Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Combat Games

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Western martial arts never took on religious, spiritual or mystical qualifites like the fusions that happened in Asia... and in Russian culture they seem to have an affinity to these sorts of traditions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0d4qM7gCH8

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Western martial arts had religious and spiritual underpinnings

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Western martial arts never took on religious, spiritual or mystical qualifites like the fusions that happened in Asia...
    The West just lost track of most of that. I blame Descartes. But just looking at fencing (as that's my area of expertise) you'll find plenty of religious, spiritual or mystical qualities in the old texts, particularly with the Spanish schools. The most overt example was Thibault's mystic circle, a complicated system of combat with astrological underpinnings that enjoyed astonishing success in dueling at the time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The West just lost track of most of that. I blame Descartes. But just looking at fencing (as that's my area of expertise) you'll find plenty of religious, spiritual or mystical qualities in the old texts, particularly with the Spanish schools. The most overt example was Thibault's mystic circle, a complicated system of combat with astrological underpinnings that enjoyed astonishing success in dueling at the time.
    meh, Descares....

I just get a more "asian" feel to the way Russians deal with their martial arts....

you know eventually the Spanish lost out
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Knights Templar?

edit: didn't see bawang beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

didn't see bawang beat me
    sig worthy

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I had no idea, thx for the info.

Seems more mathematical than mystic but worth a read: http://www2.nau.edu/~wew/other/magic_circle.html
    Last edited by Alex Córdoba; 10-26-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Just got real

Some people get ruffled when politics enter international games. I find it fascinating. In fact, I think it's the very essence of international games.

Egypt kung fu ace 'loses medal over Morsi'
    Officials deny turning against kung fu champion Mohamed Youssef for showing support for deposed President Morsi.
    Last Modified: 29 Oct 2013 12:33

Youssef was shown in Russia wearing a T-shirt with a symbol commemorating the pro-Morsi protest camp [EPA]

The family of an Egyptian kung fu champion says he has been banned from representing the country and stripped of his medal after he showed support for deposed President Mohamed Morsi during a tournament in Russia.

The government, however, has denied taking retaliatory action against Mohamed Youssef.

In a photo on the state-run Al-Ahram website, Youssef was shown on stage in St Petersburg, Russia, holding his medal and wearing a T-shirt with a symbol commemorating the pro-Morsi protest camp that was crushed by security forces on August 14, leaving hundreds dead.

The army overthrew Morsi on July 3 and installed an interim government.

It has since launched a security crackdown on Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, arresting more than 2,000 members, including Morsi and other senior leaders.

Security forces have killed hundreds of Morsi supporters.

Youssef's brother Hamem told Reuters news agency that he had been removed from a list of eligible kung-fu players in the sport's national federation, and told he could not represent Egypt in future tournaments.

Mohamed Youssef himself was not immediately available for comment.

When asked about the case, Taher Abu Zeid, the sports minister, said Youssef had not been barred from representing Egypt, although he did not mention the medal or the federation.

Zeid told Reuters that he had asked the ministry to conduct an investigation into the incident, but added that if the sportsman had displayed the yellow four-fingered "Rabaa" hand symbol "it was a wrong way to conduct himself".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

335 news sources for this story come up on Google today...for KUNG FU

But you guys don't care about the impact CMA might have on world politics. Let's go back to discussing how everyone else's Kung Fu sux....
    Egyptian kung fu gold medalist suspended for Islamist sign
    Mohammed Youssef wore a T-shirt depicting an open palm with four yellow fingers, a symbol in support of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Monday, October 28, 2013, 1:31 PM

Newspaper Al-Ahram posted a photo of Mohammed Youssef online. It showed the kung fu fighter in a T-shirt with a picture of an open palm with four yellow fingers.

CAIRO — An Egyptian kung fu gold medalist has been suspended by the sport's national federation because he displayed an Islamist symbol showing support for ousted President Mohammed Morsi during a tournament in Russia, officials said Monday.

The online service of the state newspaper Al-Ahram posted a photo of Mohammed Youssef wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with a picture of an open palm with four yellow fingers - the symbol representing a pro-Morsi protest camp violently cleared by security forces in August. In the photo, Youssef held his gold medal with his right hand while punching the air with a clenched left fist during the medal ceremony.

It quoted the federation president as saying Youssef also would be banned from a tournament next month in Malaysia.

Youssef flew to Cairo early on Monday from Moscow after being sent home early by the federation, security officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information. The player's brother Hamam confirmed in a telephone interview with Al-Jazeera Mubasher Misr that his brother was sent home early from the tournament because he displayed the symbol.

The suspension underlines the deepening divisions in Egypt, nearly four months after Morsi - the country's first freely elected president - was ousted in a popularly backed military coup. His ouster followed protests by millions of Egyptians calling on him to step down and accusing him and his Muslim Brotherhood of acting undemocratically and trying to monopolize power in the latest crisis to roil the Arab world's most populous nation since the 2011 ouster of autocratic ruler Hosni Mubarak.

More than 600 protesters were killed when Egyptian police moved in with armored bulldozers to clear the massive sit-in demanding the reinstatement of the Islamist leader near Cairo's Rabaah el-Adawiya mosque. Tensions have spiked as the military-backed interim administration continued to crack down on the Brotherhood, arresting more than 2,000 senior and mid-level officials.

Islamic militants also have stepped up their campaign of violence, mainly targeting Egyptian police and soldiers since the coup, especially in the volatile northern part of the Sinai Peninsula, which borders Israel and the Gaza Strip.

The militants' campaign mostly has been confined to the troubled peninsula that is separated from the mainland by the Suez Canal, but attacks outside Sinai have grown more frequent in recent weeks.

On Monday, gunmen killed three policemen at a security checkpoint in Mansoura, a city north of Cairo, according to the Interior Ministry. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the shootings, but such attacks are typical for militants opposed to Egypt's military-backed government.

Despite the arrests of much of the Brotherhood's leadership, Morsi supporters have pressed forward with protests to try to maintain pressure on authorities to release the toppled leader, who has been held largely incommunicado since his detention on July 3. He is due to go on trial on Nov. 4 for allegedly inciting supporters to kill protesters outside his presidential palace in Cairo last December.

Police used tear gas Monday to disperse several hundred pro-Morsi university students who were rallying near Rabaah el-Adawiya, in eastern Cairo. As the protest got underway, army troops and police backed by armored vehicles blocked off the road leading to the site, creating a tense standoff that lasted hours. By late afternoon, the students retreated to their campus, while pelting security forces with rocks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

But you guys don't care about the impact CMA might have on world politics.
    with all due respect dear glorious leader, it is more the impact world politics has upon kung fu than the other way around....

With all due respect dear troll bugger

...that's your projected distinction, like usual.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Politics generally mess things up, they are not the natural order of things

I spent a LOT of time with the Iranian sanshou team that defected to the US, two of them actually trained with me several years, and their friends came and went...

Whatever we had been "taught" about Iran as kids/youth was all wrong, and the Iranians didn't know much about us either, but ultimately everyone got along brilliantly... US wrestlers who have gone to Iran have said exactly that as well

I should also add that while I may annoy trolls, I have never buggered one

That's not what bawang said....

Here's some food for thought from our upcoming Horoscopes (JAN+FEB 2014):
    “You may not be thinking about politics, but politics is thinking about you.” Snake Kerry Washington
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's some food for thought from our upcoming Horoscopes (JAN+FEB 2014):
    well

You might derive financial profit from an interpersonal relationship. It is very important to actively participate in communication more.
    and that's why I am here

Is this worth a watch? I see it's coming on tv tomorrow
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb