Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Combat Games

Not bad Tata's at all
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I know someone going so I might be able to get something exclusive

Meanwhile, check out the Muay Thai Ambassador
    Muaythai Ambassador---Gavintra Photijak

Gavintra Photijak was born on 24 December 1986 in Nongkhai, Thailand.

On May 24, 2007, she competed in the Miss Thailand Universe pageant held in Bangkok in which she won and was crowned.

She represented Thailand in the Miss Universe 2008 pageant held in Nha Trang, Vietnam, in which she won Best National Costume Award.

What is it about Thailand women and this event anyway?

If those gloves have metal inserts, Syn7, I want a pair.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some more Gavintra Photijak, for good measure

In the wake of Miss Universe no less.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

u think theres metal in them gloves, or just padding?
    There are different types, some have lead in them, the "poor man's IP"
    Those look to have less than the ones I have seen and used.
    They work not only to protect the hand but to add a special touch when H2H becomes a viable option.

The Games are on!

Splendor of Combat Games' Opening Ceremony
    16:28, August 30, 2010

The splendor of 2010 SportAccord Combat Games' opening ceremony [Photo: People's Daily online/Zhenyu Li]

The inaugural 2010 Beijing SportAccord Combat Games, attracting more than 1000 top athletes from over 60 countries and regions, kicked off on August 28, 2010. The opening ceremony of the SportAccord Combat Games took place on the same day, attracting more than ten thousand spectators.

Over 1,000 actors participated in the opening ceremony, including international kungfu movie stars Jackie Chan, renowned Italian soprano Giorgia Fumanti and Japanese singer Atari Kosuke ect.

Such kungfu stars and sports legends as Jet Li, Fedor Emelyanenko, Robert Van de Walle, Don Wilson and other big names who represent the Combat Games' 13 martial arts disciplines also showed up at the ceremony, a spectacular show that recounts the tradition of Chinese martial arts and the evolution of world combat sports.

The aim of the Combat Games is to promote cultural communication and friendship rather than fight for medals.

China dominates in wushu competition
    * Source: Global Times
    * [09:11 August 30 2010]
    By Li Yanhui

Chinese athletes won 10 of the 13 possible gold medals for wushu in the first two days of the inaugural SportAccord Combat Games at the National Indoor Stadium, reviving discussions of whether wushu should be an Olympic sport.

The SportAccord Combat Games 2010 Beijing opened on Saturday, with 22,059 athletes from 105 countries and regions gathering to participate in 13 martial arts and combat events, including wushu.

The Combat Games were sponsored by the General Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF) and will be held every four years. This year's games run until September 4 in Beijing.

Kung fu movie stars Jackie Chan and Jet Li both attended the opening ceremony, with Chan crooning the Combat Games' theme song, accompanied by foreign wushu perfomers hailing from the US, UK, Canada and elsewhere, according to the Beijing News.

However, the two movie stars held differing opinions on whether wushu should be included in the Olympic Games.

Wushu was exhibited during the 2008 Olympics, raising hopes for its eventual inclusion, as happened for judo.

Chan told the Beijing News that wushu brought him global popularity, and that people of all nationalities and races come to China to learn wushu. "I'm proud of Chinese wushu and often feels regret that wushu isn't included in the Olympics," Chan said, further guessing that Chinese wushu perhaps has too many styles and schools to be recognized as one sport. He hoped to combine the different styles into a united image that would enable wushu to be considered for inclusion.

Li held the opposite opinion. Now 40, he's practiced wushu since the age of 8. He suggested taiji as a better fit for the Olympics. "I don't think wushu will be accepted by the Olympics, but I will make every effort for the rest of my life to promote taiji to the Olympics, as there are 130 million taiji fans in the world," he told the Liaoning-based Huashang Morning Post Saturday. Li said he hoped taiji will be recognized by the Olympics in the next 15 to 20 years.

The Secretary-General of the International Wushu Federation Wang Youlin told the Beijing Times that Li's suggestion should be an option, but "Chinese wushu is too profound. Its promotion should be simplified to meet the global circumstances. Then people can love it easily."

But he also pointed out that the Olympics are trying to reduce the number of involved sports. "If wushu can be listed as an Olympic sport, then one of the other 28 sports would have to quit," he said.

Chinese athlete E Meidie won the gold medal in a Wushu Sanshou division after defeating a Turkish rival. Photo: Xin
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More results

POSTED: Saturday August 28th 2010
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    First medals decided at World Combat Games

Beijing, Aug 28: A historic moment for the World Combat Games: Jia Rui, Macau Wushu fighter, is the first athlete to win a gold medal in the SportAccord World Combat Games ever.

With amazingly liquid motions he scores 9.80 in Men’s Changquan.

In Women’s Jianshu, Zheng Tianhui from Hong Kong astounds the audience and the judges with an extraordinary performance. She scores 9.80 and wins both Jianshu and Quiangshu.

Iranian athlete Farshadarabi wins Men’s Nagun with 9.80.

Taicheauxuen from Malaysia achieves the highest score in Women’s Nanquan and excites the spectators.

The most competitive game is Men’s Gunshu. With a score of 9.87, Lu Yongxu wins the first gold medal for host country China.

Taijiquan is accompanied by music. Ng Shin Yii from Malaysia performs outstandingly and ranks first.

The last champion of the evening comes again from China. Huang Yingqi scores 9.86 and makes the audience happy winning the second gold medal for China.

12 medals were issued today in Sumo, all were taken by athletes either from Japan, Ukraine or Russia. Ukrainian Middleweight Sumo fighter Maryna Pryshchepa is the first Sumo champion of the SportAccord World Combat Games. In a thrilling fight she defeated her Russian opponent Anna Alexandrowa (RUS) Pryshchepa’s team colleague Maryna Maksymenko (UKR) was third.

Heavyweight was dominated by Anna Zhigalova (RUS) who beat Olga Davydenko (UKR) easily. The bronze medal went to Japan player Ueta Yuka.

Middleweight champion Ryo Ito (JPN) defeated in the gold medal fight his team mate Katsuo Yoshida (JPN) and became the first male Champion of these SportAccord World Combat Games. Third was Yevgen Kozlyatin (UKR).

In Heavyweight, Alan Karaev was the only one who could break Japanese dominance. Beyond all expectations, he won his gold medal fight Hiroaki Tanaka (JPN). Fighting for bronze, Tomita Genki (JPN) held his nerve to beat Byambajav Ulambayar from Mongolia.
    Here's an unexpected take on sumo.

A Japanese player (R) and a Ukrainian player (L) are ready to compete at the SportAccord Games in Beijing on Aug. 28, 2010. (Xinhua Photo)
    Europe in favor of Japanese traditional sport sumo
    English.news.cn 2010-08-29 16:25:15
    By sportswriter Lin Deren

BEIJING, Aug. 29 (Xinhua) -- "At the sumo world championships, eighty percent of the gold medals go to Europe," said Stephen Gadd, the General Secretary of European sumo union, at the first SportAccord Combat Games here on Sunday.

At the SportAccord Games European players excelled their Asian opponents to collect seven of all the eight gold medals. Sumo, which is traditionally a Japanese-only sport, has found its root in Europe.

There are currently 27 members in the European Sumo Union, more than any other continental sumo union on the world. "We are the most active union, holding 20-25 international tournaments every year," said Gadd.

Russian sumo head coach Gennady Kaletkin introduced that about 2000 Russians are doing sumo at the moment. In Bulgaria, the number goes to as many as 500-600.

In 1992, Japan organized an international sumo competition in 1992, inviting athletes from all over the world to try the mysterious sport. It is at that time that the Europeans began to know about sumo. In 1995, a couple of Japanese sponsors designed a series of tournaments in Europe, revealing the Japan-based event to the continent.

Boele Venhvizen, director of the referee committee on the sumo event at the SportAccord Combat Game, released the reason for the speedy popularization of sumo in Europe.

"Many of the European players used to be wrestlers, Judo players or boxers. They are traditionally quick and strong, so there is no difficulty for them to turn to sumo," said Venhvizen.

Kaletkin also admitted that Russia's domination of sumo is due to the strong combating tradition and enthusiasm in wrestling.

Most European sumo athletes also participate in judo, boxing or wrestling competitions. The multi-cultural environment enables them to learn a new sport faster and better.

At the moment, Bulgaria, Russia, Netherland and other European countries are busy developing sumo in all ages.

"Every sumo competition will attract lots of spectators in Ukraine, and they are interested in the sport," said Maryna Pryshchepa from Ukraine, the champion from women's middle-weight at the SportAccord Games.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There are different types, some have lead in them, the "poor man's IP"
    Those look to have less than the ones I have seen and used.
    They work not only to protect the hand but to add a special touch when H2H becomes a viable option.

for cops??? or just in general... it looks like it could be small matel plates in those gloves in that pic but it could just be double up leather or something... either way, i wanna pair

i got punched in the side of the head with brass knuckles once... man i cant tell you how much that hurt... they work really well man... it made me do the pumpkin dance before i got my witts back... unfortunately by the time i got the fuzz outta my head i was being kicked on the ground... but i managed to get back up and dish out some more martial love... it was a good fight... only had to get two stitches... not bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    for cops??? or just in general... it looks like it could be small matel plates in those gloves in that pic but it could just be double up leather or something... either way, i wanna pair

i got punched in the side of the head with brass knuckles once... man i cant tell you how much that hurt... they work really well man... it made me do the pumpkin dance before i got my witts back... unfortunately by the time i got the fuzz outta my head i was being kicked on the ground... but i managed to get back up and dish out some more martial love... it was a good fight... only had to get two stitches... not bad...
    Typically for riot police and SWAT teams.
    Civilians can order them I think, from the net of course.
    http://www.tbotech.com/sap-gloves.htm

I heard from Alfred Hsing via the web

Alfred is representing the U.S. for wushu changquan along with Sarah Chang (changquan) & Peter Dang (Wushu Daoshu & Gunshu all-around Men). We didn't field any sanshou competitors.

Wrestler R.Gantogs Settles for Silver in Combat Games
    Written by Kh.Ganchimeg
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010.

Mongolian sumo wrestler R.Gantogs grabbed a silver medal in Sportaccord Combat Games Beijing 2010, which kicked off on August 28, 2010.

On the Men’s Lightweight (85kg), R.Gantogs lost his final game to Russian Nachyn Mongush and Nachyn toppled Gantogs by kala-sukashi rapidly. The final just took five seconds. The bronze was secured by Shimako Takashi from Japan.

One of Mongolian participants is O.Osokhbayar who finished the seventh place in 85kg weight category. Osokhbayar beats Jackrapon Choarungmet (Thailand) and Travis Bleg and then he had been beaten by Stilian Georgiev (Bulgaria) and Takashi Shimako (Japan).

U.Byambajav selected in the tournament of bronze medal defeating by Russian Artur Bagaev, K.Neiting (USA) and G.Tomita (Japan). But, Byambajav played against Japanese Shimako Takashi for a bronze medal but he had been beaten by his opponent in the heavyweight match (+115kg). Alan Karaev from Russia won the gold medal by beating Japanese Tanaka Hiroaki in that event.

World Amateur Sumo Champion G.Naranbat and Ts.Myagmarsuren from Mongolia took part in the +115kg weight class. G.Naranbat lost a game to his opponent El Saied from Egypt and M.Matsuna (Japan) won Mongolian Myagmarsuren in the event.

In addition, over 1,500 athletes from 60 countries are competing in 13 different sport’s events, including sumo, wushu, boxing, aikido, judo, ju-jitsu, karate, kendo, kickboxing, muaythai, sambo, Taekwondo and wrestling at the SportAccord Combat Games.
    Russia Fights Off Japan At Combat Games

Russia is atop the medal table after three days of competition at SportAccord’s inaugural Combat Games in Beijing.

Medals were awarded over the weekend in judo, ju-jitsu, sumo and wushu.

Russia leads with 19 total medals and seven gold. Japan is in second with 13 total but only two gold.

Host country China has 10 total medals, eight of them gold.

Karate and muaythai tournaments begin Tuesday.

More than 1,000 athletes from over 66 countries are participating in 13 fighting disciplines, both Olympic and non-Olympic. Also on the program are aikido, boxing, kendo, kickboxing, sambo, taekwondo and wrestling.

Four Beijing Olympic venues are housing the weeklong competition.

More than 100,000 spectators, including five to 10 IOC members, are expected to attend the Games, SportAccord president Hein Verbruggen told Around the Rings last week.

Events run through Saturday.
    There's more news on the official site.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I didn't see this as fallout

Kung fu clothes take a beating
    * Source: Global Times
    * [12:14 September 27 2010]
    By Wei Na

At the Sportaccord Combat Games held last month in Beijing, combatants dominated the field with martial arts battles like those described in wuxia novels, but at the end of the day many spectators were asking, "Who are they wearing?"

The event's official clothing sponsor was Wesing Sports Goods Co. The Fujian-based company is not a particularly well-known purveyor of activewear, but it's one of the few Chinese manufacturers for specialized athletic gear. "It's not like we're a casual sports brand everyone would at least have heard of," said Hong Fengbo, vice director of marketing at Wesing. "For years we have been exploring and facing the specialized sports market, which is not familiar to most mass-market consumers."

That tide may be changing, however, as Hong said that the eight-day combat sports event was a pretty successful promotion on "a big platform."

"The leader of the Japanese team thinks very highly of our products for combat clothing, which are specially embroidered with dragons and Chinese phoenixes for men and women. And athletes from Thailand asked about our white wushu clothing with the plum blossom pattern," Hong said. "And above all there's been more appreciation and attention from the home market."

The Sportaccord Combat Games demonstrated 13 different types of martial arts and combat sports like Chinese wushu, aikido, judo, kendo and more. And because different styles each have their own ways of dressing, the event was practically a martial arts fashion show.

Lu Yan, who works for the only Wesing store located near Beijing Sports University said, "there have been more inquiries during the past month. They used to all be purchases from government departments, but now there are calls from private martial arts clubs."

Hong said he was glad for the opportunity to advertise Wesing to the Chinese market. "Although we have expanded our business to be more internationally oriented over the past ten years, and we've gradually gained more fame through worldwide competition events, but for the [Sportaccord] games, we were really focusing on the home market consumers, because they have been more aware that martial arts exercises could have physical and mental benefits," Hong said. According to him, Wesing plans to open stores in every province of China over the next three years.

Wesing has successfully been selling martial arts and judo clothes in countries including Spain, Turkey and France. Hong maintains that while it is important to adhere to tradition when it comes to martial arts clothes, that doesn't mean they can't have a little fun.

"Clothing for martial arts has long histories and certain meanings to represent, but that doesn't mean there're no changes," he said. "We have made improvements to keep the style fresh, but we think Chinese cultural elements are key to attracting foreign customers' eyes." Other than that, there have been functional improvements concerning the material, comfort and durability. Now on the market, a man's free-combat costume is priced at around 90 yuan. Kickboxing competition clothing runs about 210 yuan, and outfits for Chinese wushu are 220 yuan for one set. A padded judo uniform could be priced as high as 1,050 yuan. When asked why the combat clothing all tends to be expensive, Hong explained that the clothes are meant to take a beating, so there are certain standards that must be maintained, like durability and washability, which lead to a higher cost.

And I did get a story on this for our next issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

October 18-26, 2013 St. Petersburg

Official website
    Putin lauds martial arts at international competition
    Oct. 19, 2013 | 3:59 PM

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia, Oct. 19 (UPI) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin, himself a black belt in judo, lauded the martial arts during opening ceremonies for the World Combat Games.

The international event is being hosted in St. Petersburg through Oct. 26. Putin noted the individual focus and strength needed to succeed in martial arts, RIA Novosti said.

"Various martial arts differ in technique and rules, but they all share the same common principle that fair victory always goes to the genuinely strongest," the Kremlin website quoted Putin as saying. "Not chance but the athlete's own will, and not the team's strength but personal skill and courage decide each combat's outcome. There is no hiding behind your teammates in martial arts."

Putin said 4.5 million Russians practice some form of martial arts, making it one of the country's most popular sports.
    Competition includes: Aikido, Boxing, Fencing, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, Kendo, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Sambo, Savate, Sumo, Taekwondo, Wrestling, & Wushu
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene, not sure if you are aware of the faction of academics who see Russia as an Asian society rather than a part of Europe, citing for example the influence of the Mongol occupation.... the culture's affinity for martial arts certainly is part of that world vision don't you think
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Sure, sure...

I've always felt that Russia was its own entity, outside the Europe vs. Asia division. The relationship between Russia and China, especially Mongolia, is fascinating history not taught so much in American schools. But in terms of Asia cultures having more affinity for martial arts, that's a bit of a stretch for me, especially as I come from a tradition of Western fencing, which retains a lot of martial elements and is a martial study of its own. Of course, that makes me biased here, but I'm biased everywhere else, so why not here? Hollywood has romanticized martial arts - orientalized them, if you will, but I'd argue every culture has a martial art tradition. It's just a matter of how that is framed and defined. America has the weakest and yet the most diverse take on the martial arts. We are a young nation, born in the age of firearms. And yet, we're a nation of immigrants, bringing so many cultures into our martial melting pot.

But as for the World Combat Games being hosted in Russia, I think it's all about Putin. He's a ballsy politician.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

But in terms of Asia cultures having more affinity for martial arts, that's a bit of a stretch for me, especially as I come from a tradition of Western fencing, which retains a lot of martial elements and is a martial study of its own.
    of course the west has martial arts, I am a big fan of western martial arts, boxing, wresstling, savate, can fighting, fencing, etc

I might have mis-spoke or not elaborated

Western martial arts never took on religious, spiritual or mystical qualifites like the fusions that happened in Asia... and in Russian culture they seem to have an affinity to these sorts of traditions

Sambo was pure military martial arts, guts and blood and balls, yet things like "systema" tried to fuse them with mythical mumbo jumbo

Russia sure is unique, but I have seen a lot of asian influence
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....