Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hwarang-Do claims to have 365 different kicks??

Hwarang-Do claims to have 365 different kicks??

I'm not trying to cause any controversy..since I've never studied any Korean arts. The 365 # seems to be a bit much. Can anyone comment? Can a style have this many kicks?

It is possible, but that would mean they are counting with something along the lines of, a front kick with the heel as the impact point as one kind of kick and a front kick with the impact point the ball of the foot as another. Left front kick with the heel as the impact point as one kind, and right front kick with the heel as the impact point as another.

Most of the kicks will just be variations of other kicks!

Blog Entries
    They may count kicks differently depends on the target area such as a kick to the face, chin, chest, stomach, belly, groin, upper leg, lower leg, ... There is no way that we can come up that many kicks. Our leg just don't bend in that many different directions.

I have only one kick... but I do it each day of the year. Therefore I have 365 kicks.

See how easy that is?
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Quote Originally Posted by dimethylsea View Post
    I have only one kick... but I do it each day of the year. Therefore I have 365 kicks.

See how easy that is?
    <Slaps forehead> Doh!

while there were the Hwarang.
    The current style is not actually related.

It is taken from Tae Kwon Do and various other martial arts and hobbled together into a martial art that the Koreans can have for themselves that isn't TKD and which they can tie to more ancient values and ways.

TKD as many know was an invention of a military man in the 50's.

Hwarang Do did not exist until much much later and is a revivalist reconstruction.

so if it has 365 kicks, fine. It can have whatever it likes I guess. It doesn't make it any more authentic or genuine and it certainly doesn't make it as ancient as it's proponents would wish people believed it was. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A predeliction for outlandish costumes might be one of the kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    That would be my favorite one.

It is also potentially the most dangerous kick, because it can defeat your opponent with laughter!

Have you ever tried to fight while you were laughing?

also you have to consider the flying kicks spin kicks and the ground kicks and then you can eventually get to 365

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    what you don't have gold lamé head dresses and capes in your style?

psssh, you are playing patty elbows!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs up

Excellent post Andy!

I have said here, years ago, that details don't matter. It is the underlying principles that matter. Once one understands the underlying, foundational principles everything else is easy to learn, understand, and modify for your own needs and purposes!

In general people are so locked up into the details that I finally just gave up!

It is nice to see someone else understands!

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    I'm not trying to cause any controversy..since I've never studied any Korean arts. The 365 # seems to be a bit much. Can anyone comment? Can a style have this many kicks?
    The more important question is do they need that many? How many of those are you going to be spending time on to master? How much wasted time is spent on practicing a bunch of low percentage moves instead of time on a couple bread and butter kicks?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Decisions, decisions

Are you going to be in a confrontation and think to yourself.......Ah, kick number 287 applies here..... Or are you just going to kick and make it work fit whats happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    Hwa rang is supposed to mean "Flowering man" Actually it just means Chinese. So their art means Chinese Way. To ask if someone is ethnically Chinese (regardless of nationality) you say "Hua ren" which in Korean is pronounced Hua Rang. Until recently Korean used Chinese characters.
    Your Chinese reading of "hua ren" is correct, but as applied to Korean is wrong. Hwarang in this case refers to a cultural group that existed in the Silla Kingdom. Hwarang-do and the taekwondo poomse Hwarang both pay homage to this group. The use of "人" in this case makes reference to rank or position rather than a people.

Regardless, 365 kicks is pretty lame

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I believe it was created by Joo Bang Lee and Joo Sang Lee, who claimed to have inherited the style after being raised in a temple in Korea.
    ok, fine. But were they the only ones who learned this art in the temple in centuries? Shouldn't there be others?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.