Thread: Video vs. Franchise MA schools

Hybrid View

Video vs. Franchise MA schools

I found this video interesting. I have some comments but I'll save it until some of you weight in.

"The truth behind martial arts franchise schools exposed"

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAiSaBGaj8

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UE76TcADo
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

franchise schools... LOL... i can think of one from new york... these people view martial arts as a business and that's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't make them a good martial artist because they have a few schools - it makes them a good business person. you should see what some passes as an online video instruction... there's this one numbnut who plays with a sledgehammer, but his strength is infantile. hehehe...

Blog Entries
    Watching his other videos, it looks like this guy in general has a problem with turning martial arts into a commercial business, which is an old argument.

If Doc Fai Wong didn't have a franchise, I'm guessing this dude would not have the CLF knowledge he does now (he didn't do the best job concealing where he had his franchise involvement).
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

interesting stuff.. a lot of this applies to sales. rehearsed dialogue, knowing how to counter typical questions. the question then comes, how does a school grow its business without similar tactics? usually a school grows and dies when the teacher dies.
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

Both videos amounted to whining sessions because the idea of having a commerce aspect to martial arts.

There were a lot of misconceptions expressed and heaping helpings of projections of that individuals ideas about how things "should" be.

I found the videos to be fairly egotistical in scope and more than a bit whiny.

It's a tired old argument and there is nothing new to say about it apparently.
    I personally so not support those views.

people will do as they will and it is their prerogative to do so just as it may be your
    prerogative to not bother with them. :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

chinese jesus hong xiou quan would not have approved of franchises. if he was alive he would crush them without mercy then take all their womans as his concubine

personally i think theres nothing wrong with a kung fu franchise, but only if u earned it.
    i think gracies definitely deserve franchise. great master tu jing shen deserves a franchise because he pulled a airplane with his peenis. what did doc fei wong and sin the ever do? i dont know.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-05-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    . what did doc fei wong and sin the ever do? i dont know.
    Actually, Doc Fai-Wong has been a huge driving force in promoting Traditional Chinese Martial Arts for decades. I have followed his articles and books ever since 1973 Inside Kung-Fu first featured him. His articles were extremely informative, and he brought ideas and concepts to the general non-Chinese public from behind the "Bamboo Curtain." His book on CLF is still one of the best books in English on Southern Gung-Fu. In it, he outlines strikes, usage as well as two beginner forms, Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choy in explicit detail.
    His article on Dit Da Jow was possibly the first to actually share full formulas and instructions of making it.
    He was also the first to have instructional videos on CLF, broken down in regular speed, slow motion, different angles as well as applications.

oh, and No, I am not, nor have ever been connected with his organization. I simply have been involved in MA for over 35 yrs, and appreciate his contributions.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    chinese jesus hong xiou quan would not have approved of franchises. if he was alive he would crush them without mercy then take all their womans as his concubine

personally i think theres nothing wrong with a kung fu franchise, but only if u earned it.
    i think gracies definitely deserve franchise. great master tu jing shen deserves a franchise because he pulled a airplane with his peenis. what did doc fei wong and sin the ever do? i dont know.
    GM DFW has been an awesome teacher. If he's in it for the money, he hasn't been collecting much from me. GM DFW also helped rebuild and restore a number of CLF sites, and has been promoting the art globally for decades. I admire him as a martial artist and a genuinely good person.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Both videos amounted to whining sessions because the idea of having a commerce aspect to martial arts.

There were a lot of misconceptions expressed and heaping helpings of projections of that individuals ideas about how things "should" be.

I found the videos to be fairly egotistical in scope and more than a bit whiny.

It's a tired old argument and there is nothing new to say about it apparently.
    I personally so not support those views.

people will do as they will and it is their prerogative to do so just as it may be your
    prerogative to not bother with them. :-)
    well said. sounds like a whiney, spoiled child.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Yeah, big suprise! The guy who can't afford his own school and teaches in the park hates people that have nice schools with mats to protect their students.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    I found this video interesting. I have some comments but I'll save it until some of you weight in.

"The truth behind martial arts franchise schools exposed"

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAiSaBGaj8

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UE76TcADo

HAHAH....That's USSD's business model.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.